Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "ENEMY" as a side  (Read 657 times)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
"ENEMY" as a side
« on: 25 May 2004, 10:19:24 »
Hi!

I've ben building a flagfight mission with a few spices and without the tutorials, just to see if I could. Anyway, I noticed an interesting little thing when showing the person's side who scored. I've got
titleText [format["\n\n\n%1 has scored for %2\n\nWest: %3\nEast: %4\nResistance: %5",name _unit, side _unit,scorewest,scoreeast,scoreguer],"PLAIN"]
this to show the score when the flag has been returned. The side command returns the side of the person who scored, WEST, EAST or GUER.
So when testing the score system I shot a few friendly tanks on my way. What happened when I returned the flag was that the side on the titletext was displayed as ENEMY.

Now I'm wondering, is there actually five sides in ofp instead of four. These would be WEST, EAST, GUER (in some cases RESISTANCE), CIV and ENEMY.

If this is the case, as it seems to be, how could I utilize this new possibility to make a Civilian AI to shoot at all sides?
I tried hacking the mission.sqm and changing a Civilian from side CIV to ENEMY and then compressing the file to .pbo with the pbotool program. However, in my test the side still apeared as CIV.

To sum it up, I need to make Civilians to engage all sides and even their own possibly. Has anyone done any experiments with the above?
Not all is lost.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:"ENEMY" as a side
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2004, 13:23:10 »
Hmm, very interesting ..... never come across that myself.  Isn't it wonderful that people are still discovering new things about this game?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Zombie

• Members
  • Beware the night, the zombie walks among you
    • USI
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2004, 13:47:58 »
doesn't that have something to do with the ratings?  Perhaps when you shot the friendly tanks your rating went down.  If you initialize your civs with a negative rating:
Code: [Select]
this addrating (-(rating this) - 100000)perhaps they will attack everyone, I haven't tried it but seems to me to be the answer

Unnamed

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2004, 15:29:19 »
There is also the FRIENDLY side\type, at least the editor recognises it. I guess this is what makes my AI turn on me when I get bored and try and shoot them all.

I thought you could use it to determine, through scripts. If RES were set to enemy for either East or West via the editor?

I never managed to get it working though. So I still dont know if it's possible to detect using scripts, which side if any, Res are friendly to.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2004, 16:12:22 »
Thanks for your input and comments guys.

I did some experiments with the side "enemy" thing with no effect. Once I even managed to completely wipe out the player, but the mission started with no errors :P

I did some tests with the addrating command as well. It seems to work fine, but not suitable for my use. To get the Civilian to shoot at all three sides I'd need to do addrating -100000 on all sides and that causes them not to shoot at each other. At least in the tests I did.

I think I'm going to try to make somekind of zombies of the civilians. Can't go much wrong there.
Not all is lost.