Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need help with new CTF ideas  (Read 913 times)

Marshal

Need help with new CTF ideas
« on: 03 May 2004, 23:23:04 »
Hi,

Im just starting to make a new kind of CTF or should I say a CTD/CTH and need a little help as Im a bit of a noobie when it comes to this type of thing.

My idea is to change from Capture the Flag to Capture the Documents or Hostage. It would make games much more realistic as Documents or Hostages could be placed in buildings or vehicles etc.

Now for a couple of questions...

1. How do I change the script so that documents/Hostages are placed instead of the usual flag and what script do I use so that a player can pick them up and score points by taking them back to base?

2. Anyone know where I can get a document/hostage addon or similar? How would I make a hostage stay at a location until released and also to follow the rescuer? He would obviously have to be invincible and return to his original place if the rescuer is shot and he is not picked up within 2 minutes.

3. I want each soldier to spawn with specific guns. The reason is so that I can dictate which players are snipers, Law Officers, Machine Gunners, etc etc. In other words, players can choose a specific kind of troop to play at the start of the game and that player will remain, say, a sniper for the duration of it. Would my best option be to just put ammo in the crates? Players would respawn with the same type of gun.

Any help is much appreciated.

Marshal Law
TNT League Owner
http://www.tntleague.com

Offline Zombie

• Members
  • Beware the night, the zombie walks among you
    • USI
Re:Need help with new CTF ideas
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2004, 15:54:59 »
Here is what I have worked out so far:
1. haven't tried
2. haven't tried
3.  This is not an elegant solution, but I have tested it and it works:

Make your units whatever you want them to be in the editor
i.e  side west machine gunner
GIVE HIM A NAME!! I used ap1,ap2 etc....
make a 0 area trigger, activated by none repeatedly
condition:  alive ap1
on activation: [ap1] exec "west mgunner.sqs"
west mgunner.sqs:
Code: [Select]
; ***********************************************************************
; **** Custom unit script for Operation Flashpoint
; **** Generated by Chris's OFP Script Editor
; **** Custom Unit Wizard 2.0
; ****
; **** ORIGINAL FILE NAME: west mgunner.sqs
; **** INSTRUCTIONS: Run script from the INITIALIZATION box of the unit
; **** RUN CODE: [this] Exec "west mgunner.sqs"
; ***  OR CALL FROM A TRIGGER: [UNITNAME] exec "west mgunner.sqs"
; ***********************************************************************

; Get the unit parameter given
_unit = _this Select 0

; Strip the units current gear
RemoveAllWeapons _unit

; Add the new gear to the unit
_unit AddMagazine "M60"
_unit AddMagazine "M60"
_unit AddMagazine "M60"
_unit AddMagazine "M60"
_unit AddMagazine "M60"
_unit AddWeapon "M60"
_unit SelectWeapon "M60"
_unit AddWeapon "Binocular"

Exit

Make a similar script and trigger for each unit.  I have tested this in the editor, under multiplayer, and the ai and the my player controlled unit all respawn correctly with the loadout I want them to have.  If you have more than 1 unit of the same type, like west soldier, you only need 1 script.
  You have to put the mission folder in your username/mpmissions folder to test it and to continue working on it. so the respawn will work.
  Attached is the folder I started with.  I am certain there is a more elegant way to do this, but this way certainly works.  If you only put mags in the crates, then the only way people can change the weap they are supposed to be using is to take one from a body.