Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: texture applications  (Read 3590 times)

gadolinite

Re:texture applications
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2004, 07:04:50 »
You can get transparency with 24 bit textures though as RBG(255,0,255) is transparent.

In photoshop, when you set the colors <RBG to 255 0 255> this gives you a yellow color, not a glassie like color.

Which color should I choose for Flashpoint Style glass?

What exactly do I need to do in photoshop to save a texture as a transparent targa and apply it in O2? I have an idea on how to do it, but my current knowledge is not accurate.  

My noob 02 creation is just a plain cylinder with windows at the top you can use as target practice with the M-16 or whatever.  

Thx

Offline ScouseJedi

• Members
« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2004, 11:20:42 »
Ok it depends on which version of Photoshop :)

7.0 or higher and its all automatic. Just start a texture with a transparent background and then when you work over that its transparent nature will be saved.

So if you have a window for instance you can draw the frame with a brush that is 100% Opaque. For the glass just draw over it with a brush that is 10% opaque and the window will look a little dirty.

Then save as .tga 32 bit and you are done

IF you are using <7.0 then you have to use something called an 'alpha channel'

The Layer / Path / Channel window should be open to see this.

When you start a image in photoshop there are 4 channels in that image. A red channel, a blue channel a green channel and a RGB channel with them all mixed together.

What the alpha channel does is store transparency.

Click on the channels and make a new channel. By default it will be called an alpha channel. This channel can only have black or white in it (or grey.. but no colour) White is solid, black is transparent.

Go to your layer part and draw something - say a window frame. When it is finished select it and then go to the alpha channel. Fill the selection with white. Your window frame is the only solid thing in the texture.

Now invert the selection and select a dark grey brush. Cover the glass of the window with this and then go back to the layer.

In the layer you need to cover the window pane with an actual cover. You can make this a sold cover as the alpha channel will force it to become transparent.

Save it as 32 bit .tga and away you go.

There is a much better version of this linked on the www.flashpoint1985.com forums. If you do a search for transparency there you'll find it. It has pictures and everything.

:)

'The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.'
Albus Dumbledore

Maclav

« Reply #17 on: 09 Apr 2004, 16:19:16 »

I`ve got a problem with .tgas : I make a transparent image (512x512) in paintshop pro 8, I save it as .tga , I try to open it in TexView but it shows a little black square (not filled), as with a bad format....