Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: texture applications  (Read 3602 times)

gadolinite

texture applications
« on: 11 Feb 2004, 20:24:00 »
How do you apply a single texture to a named selection with several faces?  Such as a single texture for the exterior an aircraft fusalage.  

How do you apply textures that the game engine recongnizes as glass?  How would you create them?  

Offline ScouseJedi

• Members
Re:texture applications
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2004, 21:06:22 »
1. Do you mean how do I texture a cylinder? There are 2 answers. One is the Gizmo tool which has a tutorial found at this site. The other option is to select a face, then click on look at face and texture it. Then select the next face of the cylinder and do the same.

2. .pac are solid textures, .paa are transparent

.pac's are made from gifs
.paa's are 32 bit .tga's

You need to do a search for 'transparency' and 'alpha channels'
'The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.'
Albus Dumbledore

asmodeus

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2004, 21:45:55 »
.pac are solid textures, .paa are transparent

That's the first I've ever heard of that!

In my experience you can take a .tga and save it as either a .pac or a .paa and they function the same.  I could be wrong though.  (happened on many occasions)   ::)   ;)   ;D  

But yeah, @ gadolinite:

You need a photo editing program that supports alpha channels.  The ones that most people use that I've heard of are Paint Shop pro 7 and/or Adobe Photoshop  (I use 7.0, I think any somewhat recent version would work fine)

Asmo

gadolinite

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:02:09 »
Do you mean how do I texture a cylinder? There are 2 answers. One is the Gizmo tool which has a tutorial found at this site

???What is the gizmo tool? I never heard it.  My cylinder has 1000 segment radei so it is impossible to texture each face individually.  Could you point me to this so called tute.

Thanks

asmodeus

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2004, 01:17:24 »
Hi!

Meet a new best friend:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/index.php

Just type in "gizmo" in the quick search (in the top, left hand corner) and you'll see the tutorial ScouseJedi mentioned.  (it will be the only one that the search finds)

It's a great tutorial, good luck!

Asmo

gadolinite

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2004, 04:42:50 »
Ok gizmoing is in the bag; I figured out how to do it and it works---bingo.  Now I have another problem.  O2 refuses to convert my "ugly" experimental gif texture into a paa.  If I use textviewer to save it is any file type, it crashes.  I did jaypehs with textview.  

I used mspaint to create this primitive test texture (as you know I am a noobie at this stuff).  

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2004, 20:27:24 »
Try converting it to a tga, then throw it at Texview.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

gadolinite

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2004, 23:28:17 »
How do you convert a jaypeg or gif to a tga?  MS paint lets you do bitmaps to jaypegs and gifs.

asmodeus

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2004, 00:31:59 »
As far as I know, it's the same programs that I recommended to you:

You need a photo editing program that supports alpha channels.  The ones that most people use that I've heard of are Paint Shop pro 7 and/or Adobe Photoshop  (I use 7.0, I think any somewhat recent version would work fine)

Also, I use Microsoft PhotoDraw 2000 as well and it's a good program that can convert to .tga.  (however, it can't do Alpha Channels, so it won't work for glass textures and stuff)

Asmo

gadolinite

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2004, 04:47:52 »
I created the same texture in photoshop, saved it as a targa.  TexView Converts it to a paa file A ok.  Oxygen, however gives you a file load error if you attempt to load it is gizmo maping.  Whats wrong here?

gadolinite

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2004, 20:03:50 »
I believe that error message was a could not open error.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2004, 20:31:26 »
 Is it the proper dimensions?

i.e      256x256, 512x512, etc.......

gadolinite

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2004, 21:19:18 »
I made a 512 by 512 targa that o2 accepted, but the gizmo mapping feature does not apply the texture, it leaves an ugly white texture instead of my texture

Thanks again
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2004, 21:20:33 by gadolinite »

Offline ScouseJedi

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2004, 21:26:31 »
OFP is a little difficult when it comes to tga's

I can make them in Photoshop without problem in either 24 bit or 32 bit

But I have never been aboe to make a tga in PSP that Oxygen (or texView) can load. This is not unique to me many other people have the same problem.

.pac are 24 bit and .paa can be either 24 bit or 32bit
I use all 24 bit = .pac and 32 bit are .paa

It helps me know which textures are which :)

You can get transparency with 24 bit textures though as RBG(255,0,255) is transparent. You cannot get any graduated transparency like dirty windows though.

White texture is more likely to be a pathing problem. Its what the engine shows when it cannot find the texture your path points to.

Press ALT + T and you will see a list of tetxures with a path

assuming you have O2 set up correctly it should be

yourproject\texture.paa

yourproject folder should be in the same place as the buldozer.exe - and if you followed the readme in the root

c:yourProject\youraddon.p3d
c:yourProject\yourTexture.paa
c:buldozer.exe

'The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.'
Albus Dumbledore

gadolinite

« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2004, 02:39:11 »
Thanks, that took care of it.

;) ;) ;) Must Remember : textures need to go into the project folder.

I had mine on the desktop, OOPS my bad.