Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Why doesn't anyone add summaries to their pbo's?!?  (Read 961 times)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Why doesn't anyone add summaries to their pbo's?!?
« on: 26 Jan 2004, 03:10:34 »
What I mean is, if you right click on a file and open up "properties", then click on the "summary" tab, you get a little window where you can write in some info for the file (title, subject, author, keywords, catagory, commments). You can type some stuff in there, then hit ok. Then, when you hold your mouse over the file for a second, the text you entered will pop up, underneath info such as "pbo file, XXmb", etc.

WHY DON'T ADDON MAKERS (and mission makers) USE THIS?!?!

Why would this be useful?

example 1) You've got a bunch of addons in your addon folder, and you decide you are going to clear out the addons you never use. But how do you know what everything is? For some addons, it is pretty clear what it is by the filename. But sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly what the addon will add. If addon makers simply wrote something in the comments field like: "By XXX mod. Adds XXX and XXX units. Version 1.23. Requires XXX.pbo. www.blahblah.com", this would make things MUCH easier!

example 2) You're going to clear out your missions folder, but you can't remember which missions are good and which are bad by their filenames. You could open up OFP, look at your missions, then try to match them up to the filenames, or you could simply look at the comments, such as: "Platoon Commander V1.2. By General Barron. Required addons: editor update102.pbo Summary: Lead your men into......" Notice you can also state what addons are required for the mission, so the user can know what mod folder to start up.

Does this stuff make sense to anyone else besides me? If it does, please start commenting your pbo files!
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Ade

Re:Why doesn't anyone add summaries to their pbo's?!?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2004, 03:27:28 »
General,

Sounds like a good idea to me.  BTW, have you tried going to www.blahblah.com ? What an odd site!  ;D

Ade

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2004, 03:57:15 »
Lol! Never actually tried the link. Good thing I didn't put down "www.XXX.com" instead!
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2004, 04:51:37 »
DOH!!!

Just found out that this info is deleted when you compress the file. Oh well, it was a nice idea.....

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2004, 04:57:30 »
Also think it depends on your OS.

For instance......I use Me.......I get no Summary Tab in properties.

What system are you using.......XP?

Edit:  Forget I said all that........but........it does depend on the file type anyway.

Planck
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2004, 05:00:06 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.