Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: how do i exit flashpoint?  (Read 3877 times)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:how do i exit flashpoint?
« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2004, 03:09:24 »
Wow, I wonder how this old thread got dug up  :o

I already let BigCheese know how to get a consistent CTD with no error message or anything.

"at the moment we just have to alt-f4 it every time in the previews"
What would the Alt-F4 combination do, except quiting the game? Can you tell us what's this non-sense?... And how can crashing your computer produce such an effect?

What she is saying is that they want to make a cutscene where at one point, the game completely closes and exits in one fell swoop. It would look similar to what it looks like when you press alt-f4 (the program just closes). The only way to do this is to crash OFP, but the desire is to not have any error messages displayed after the program crashes, like "error, memory out of range" or something.

I know I'm not the only one who has ever made ofp CTD like this. One very simple way to do it is to run this line of script:

Code: [Select]
unit action["USER TYPE"]
  I don't know what all this hysteria is about a CTD "damaging your computer". Haven't you ever had a program crash before? Like IE or something? Has it ever damaged your computer? I've crashed my OFP many, many times, and never have I damaged my computer because of it.

HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

BibiPhoque

« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2004, 13:00:49 »
I don't understand why they have to alt-f4 the game to view the effect...
And you know I'm not against what they're trying to do, it's just that I don't understand...

I didn't notice that this thread was so old... is that cutscene already finished?

Fishion

« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2004, 13:41:49 »
BTW:
Just to end a few little things:
If you call a .paa file (For Example in a TitleText defined in the description.ext)
which does not have the dimensions of 2^n, the game will crash

However it is clear that NO public misson should use a "crash to desktop".
For Pirvate missions, just me and my friends...well I personally wouldn't like
it either, but then there are strange people in this world.

-Fishion

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #33 on: 27 Feb 2004, 22:33:02 »
@BibiPhoque

You don't have to alt-f4 to view the effect. BigCheese just wanted to see what it would look like if the game CTD'd, and since she didn't know how to do that, she was simulating a CTD by pressing alt-f4 at the time in the cutscene where the game was supposed to CTD.
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline icarus_uk

• Members
  • LiarLiarPants Inflame True
    • [furryclan]
« Reply #34 on: 28 Feb 2004, 02:04:36 »
It's an old thread.  Let the poor thing die.  Incontinence is not appealing in a thread.

BibiPhoque

« Reply #35 on: 28 Feb 2004, 14:12:43 »
alright =)

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #36 on: 01 Mar 2004, 10:48:32 »
Well id be willing to try the mission.....i mean, it might be good, it might actually be amazing, it might be plain crap....we dont know, not until we try it, its senseless to knock the idea before we know anything about it.

And its probably a case of, if she told us WHY they needed it, it wouldnt work as well.....

bored_onion

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jul 2004, 18:46:57 »
i know this is probably really out of context now because

a) this thread is getting old
b) everyone agrees its kinda silly
c) its not really plausible/a good idea

BUT i did come across a bug with "removeallweapons" in an intro i was making whereby i gave this guy a handgun, got him to "do fire" and then took all his weapons away

for some reason flashpoint disagreed with this and simply shut down and returned me to a desktop with no mention that it had shut down or crashed

weird sounding, and difficult to recreate but you never know....

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #38 on: 16 Jul 2004, 19:32:36 »
So have you managed it twice?
Y'should prob report it to BIS or summint..?
- Ben

bored_onion

« Reply #39 on: 20 Jul 2004, 17:48:19 »
funnily enough it did happen twice, it was in the same intro though just in different triggers/scripts

as for reporting it to BIS, id be reluctant because i doubt another patch will be too forthcoming because they are focussing on OFP2 i think

plus it could be my PC :P

Dubieman

« Reply #40 on: 21 Jul 2004, 00:19:33 »
Well I'll continue this train wreck but I heard of some animations that crash the game. I haven't tried them, but others have and well here they are...

FXBase

FXBase0

Take em or leave em.  :P

AshkenaZ

« Reply #41 on: 21 Jul 2004, 01:15:45 »
No.......but these things can happen when a mission encounters problems like missing addons or badly configured addons.

Or the game runs into a fatal system error or no memory.

Planck

I ran into that problem! More than once! Wondering why not in other games...
I get the Blue Screen where it says: Beginning dump of Physical memory!
don't know much!  ???

Dubieman

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jul 2004, 02:18:11 »
That's not a good thing, you shouldn't experiment with a blue screen deal like that. I'd be afraid my nice 120gb HD might get wiped.... :'( :P

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #43 on: 22 Jul 2004, 00:10:44 »
I really think discussion on this thread should stop. For god's sake, the thing is old enough....

Dubieman

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jul 2004, 01:29:36 »
Alrighty I'm out...

Why are you back? Its not Aug 11 yet? :D