Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Anti camping  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Zombie

• Members
  • Beware the night, the zombie walks among you
    • USI
Anti camping
« on: 15 Jan 2004, 16:47:32 »
what is the best way to make an anti camping zone?  I am tired if players setting up, especially near spawn exit, and just picking off the other team.  I would like to "allow" someone to stay in the no camp zone for no more than 5 seconds, then I will punish them for camping in a creative way!

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
Re:Anti camping
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2004, 19:00:32 »
The easiest way is to make a non-entry-able zone for enemies.

The intelligent way is: to let the enemies not have thought about to option to come close to the spawn zone, because
of having no advantage, being there.

e.g: i like using respawn scripts, where you respawn with the
same weapons, you were carrying before you got killed.
This makes you dangerous as soon as yourespawn.

Let soldiers respawn, where they havin good cover

Place objectives and respawn zones that way, that enemies
will not have any advantage on approaching the oponents
base, and even will get disadvantage because of that.

That's the real difference between a good and a bad mission
anyway  ;)

:edit - btw - i forgot to mention:

implement: no firing/kill zones there
That means: if you are somewhere, where you shouldn't be,
and you fire your weapon, you'll get a penalty or so - same
with killing others, where you shouldn't

~S~ CD
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2004, 19:02:23 by Chris Death »
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline Zombie

• Members
    • USI
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2004, 19:52:23 »
While I agree with your points concerning mission design, and I design my own maps with that logic, I am retrofitting some of the more popular maps out there.
  hexxenkessel is a classic example.  The respawn area is safe, and weapons are appropriate.  No one can enter the respawn area, but they can park just outside and wreak havok on players trying to come back in to the game.  Some will call this good strategy, but my squad believes this is not so.  I don't want to disallow someone from using or passing through the area near spawn exit, just keep them from staying there and pinning the entire enemy team in spawn.

polvy

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2004, 15:58:33 »
why don't you just have them respawn in a hanger...inside the nogo zone. poof. problem solved.

Offline Zombie

• Members
    • USI
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2004, 17:47:09 »
hmmmm,
once again my point is not coming through.  The spawn is safe, but somewhere players have to come out of spawn and get back in to the mission area.  It is these exits that I'm tring to protect.  It doesn't matter if you start in a hanger, no go zone, parachute, another island, a series of twisting passages or anywhere else.  Eventually you must get back in to the mission area.
  Hexxenkessel has a wonderfully protected spawn are, but each area has only 3 exits, and if a player can get in to the east-west street, he can effectively cover the exits and be very difficult to dislodge.
  Players who do make it to those areas still need the ability to fire though, I just want to disallow them staying put for more than a few seconds.

Grendel

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2004, 17:59:08 »
Anything is possible in OFP :)

Heres an idea to reduce camping at respawn points:

Have a trigger around the spawn point with an apropriate radius to cover camping sites.  

Set it up so that opposing forces in the trigger area are assigned a event handler "fired" while in the trigger radius.

the event handler fired will trigger a script that gets the firers location and stores the position to a global variable.  

Now the fun part:  the script will check to see if the firer has moved locations after a set number of shots (you could even make this dynamic to the type of weapon the player has).  For instance, if the player has a sniper rifle you could set it to check his position after each shot, if he hasnt moved an acceptable distance between shots (lets say 100m)within the no-camping-zone, you could have the script activate the penalty script.

A suggestion for the penalty: Artillery!  If someone camps at the spawn point, the penalty script will execute an artillery strike on the camper's location.  He might get hit, or might not, but it will at least rattle him, and let the friendlies know where he is (on that note you could also have the script reveal his position to all with the HUD target box)

I like this approach because sniping is a viable real world tactic (no matter how annoying it is to the people on the recieving end  ;)), but blatent overuse at the enemy's spawn is pretty lame.  The method I have suggested will balance camping so that while it would be possible to get off one round, you would have to relocate and risk detection or suffer the consequences.  

-Grendel

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2004, 18:00:00 »
errm Zombie,

somewhere, there will always be such a passage, you're
talking about.

Maybe it's time to let the players use some good tactics
to not let these passages become misused that way.

Else, you could make a "don't shoot, let's smoke a pipe"-mission
to avoid that.

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline Zombie

• Members
    • USI
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2004, 18:45:50 »
Thank you Grendel, that is the approach I was looking for.  Funny how you seem to be the only one to understand my question.
Chris, As far as letting people use good tactics, I can't control what others do without some scripting, which is what i was looking for.  Dislodging someone set up at the spawn exit is an excerise in speed and accuracy, not tactics.  It is possible for either team to trap the other, depends who gets there first, I will disallow that for either side.
Thanks again Grendel for your innovative approach, I like the artillery option.  Chris, thank you for your wonderfull example of sarcasm.
  Topic solved