Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFP realism... how much so?  (Read 1011 times)

marengo1

OFP realism... how much so?
« on: 15 Jan 2004, 07:20:39 »
   I downloaded demo of Call of Duty and very promptly uninstalled it after finishing it. For what I sought in a WW2 first player shooter I found it no comparison in terms of 'realism' in a firefight to the 1944 OFP mod.Simply put, I literally 'fear' the ofp's AI and willingly duck for cover as bullets ping about me-remaining crouched until safe to slowly 'stand up'. To me other 'simulation' contemporary war shooters are more like running around as a kid playing war.
   Though I admire the graphics of Call of Duty,I find it all too glamarous, playing the 'one man army corps' thingy who can take out a platoon of nazis somewhat easily- and I don't get as much feeling as being in a fight for my life as I do in OFP firefights.
    What I'd like to learn from others here are there opinions on OFPs realism- ie,are there vets and/or professional soldiers out there playing this game? or avid military historians like myself too, who wonder what the heat of battle must be really like.- [designers input too perhaps ::)] and anyone else too.
  Yes,of course it's still a game and a bit of a yarn as a topic to comment on, but out of curiosity we might learn something a little bit different.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:OFP realism... how much so?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2004, 07:28:23 »
Call of Duty's a good game. It got realism! Realism isn't always just how much damage you can take or stuff like that. It's also sound, AI, belivable story, etc, etc. You might not feel it in the demo but in Call Of Duty you sure as hell belive you are in the game, the sound, the germans shouting, the scripted little scenes, aaaah, lovley.

But I don't think this is the best place to discuss this, try the official boards.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2004, 07:28:42 by The real Armstrong »

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
Re:OFP realism... how much so?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2004, 09:38:57 »
As Armstrong says, this is not the place to discuss this. OFPEC deals only in mission editing and addon creation, therefore discussions about the realism factor in OFP do not belong here.

And, even if they did, this is not the board for it. This board is for OFPEC comments, meaning comments about the site or the forum.

I think you'll have better luck discussing this on the official forum.

*Locked*
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"