Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: 3 sided war, 3 sided story  (Read 1927 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
3 sided war, 3 sided story
« on: 05 Jan 2004, 17:12:22 »
A long time ago there was a thread in this forum that took up the possibility to use the resitance units more than just an ally. Why not use the resitance units as a whole new side. Just think the following scenario:

The war has been on for months now and finally has the resitance agreed to meet with our general for discussing peace. If we can get them on our side we can beat those americans once and for all away from this island. I've been assigned to babysit the general. I sure hope it'll turn out good.
The rain fall down. I'll walk forward after the general. Soldiers are comming from the bushes. "Throw down your weapons!". I do as I have been told. The meeting has begun.

Our forces are getting smaller and smaller, we will not last another month on this island. We have agreed to meet with the Soviet leader. I've been assigned to watch the perimiter if they are sending in someone. It looks like it's going to rain.
The radio tells me that the meeting has started. I'll need to patrol this area. Look down there, they are sitting in that warm house... I'm cold, really cold. What was that? Movement? No, probably just the shadows. Oh, I'm so hungry.

Yesterday Blake came to me, he said that our resitance spies have found out that the russians and the resistance folks are going to have a meeting, if I can nail that resistance bastard they'll probably think that the russians have sent in a sniper to get him. If we're lucky we can loose both of the enemy's leaders now.
It's raining, my sight is very limited, I need to get closer than planned. I must move quickly, the meeting will soon start. They've probably put out guards. I'll move closer and closer! A guard! Shit! Phew! That was close! He seems to be thinking about something. It's not easy to have the hardest part in this 3-sided war.
There! I can see the target!

BLAM!

Oh no! The resitance leader is injured! The americans must have found us! I have to get out of here before they kill me!

A shot! It's comming from that bush! Hey you! Put your hands above your head and stand up

BLAM!

Fuck! The bastard shot me! Medic! Medic!

Damn, I didn't want to shoot that guy, I hope he didn't see that I was american. Lets get out of here!

All this charachters should be played by you, in one campaign. Telling the story from three sides would be really, really cool. What do you think?
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2004, 17:12:42 by The real Armstrong »

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
  • When in doubt, empty the magazine.
Re:3 sided war, 3 sided story
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2004, 23:42:06 »
i've thought about having missions like that (not a campaign though); the problem i ran into is that west and east cant ally, which kind of limits the amount of backstabbing possible (think starcraft)

i've wanted for a while for bis to let players make new sides, and have one a box that sets who the side is allied to, i was just too lazy to post anything before now.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2004, 23:43:37 »
U can ally east with west. There are a few tricks.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jan 2004, 00:30:05 »
its messy though, and there is no way you can create more than 3 sides (that i know of).  it would just be easier if bis gave us the ability to add sides.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2004, 00:32:07 by .pablo. »

Homefry31464

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jan 2004, 02:47:53 »
There's four sides, or do civilians not count?

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2004, 03:15:24 »
i haven't found any way to make civies hostile to other sides and not hostile to each other.  if there is a way, then i haven't heard about it; thats where the "(that i know of)" comes in.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2004, 11:18:13 »
You do not actually need 4 sides in my opinion. Sure there can be some deserters on the west side perhaps but then just make them east by "hacking" the sqm file, if they encounter easties later in the game, make em westies, and so forth.

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jan 2004, 18:37:07 »
if you're simulating faction wars, you should have 4 or more sides :P

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jan 2004, 17:02:50 »
My mission idea wasn't to simulate a faction war but to show the war from all three sides. That my example story did include ally negotation was just because I came up with that idea since it would allow all three sides at the same place, thus more player interaction with himself.

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jan 2004, 23:37:37 »
My mission idea wasn't to simulate a faction war but to show the war from all three sides. That my example story did include ally negotation was just because I came up with that idea since it would allow all three sides at the same place, thus more player interaction with himself.

i was talking about my own mission :P

Offline ZeekLTK

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jan 2004, 21:20:14 »
You don't even need to have them 'stab each other in the back'. There can just be three sides, all at war against each other. If you want to use the game's original story line then you can just say that the Americans and Russians have been fighting on this island, and the locals are sick of it, they want the war to end, so they finally build up enough that they can challenge both sides.

Then for missions, you can either have just a simple battle between two sides at a time (like Resistance attack an American camp, completely unaided by the Russians, heck the Russians might not even know about it), or you can throw in the third side to make it more interesting. For example if you are the Resistance and you are suppose to ambush a Russian supply convoy and steal the weapons because you are running low on supplies... you get all set up and ready, here comes the convoy... and then BAM! The Americans start to attack it with the intent of destroying it! Now you have to take out the Americans before they destroy the vehicles/weapons you are going to steal, and you still have to fight the Russians in order to steal the stuff!

You could have some crazy (and fun) battles/missions where just normal stuff that you are suppose to do in a 'two-way war' get totally chaotic when you throw a third side in that has their own motives and missions and is working against both sides as well. Like for the example I gave above. The resistance wants to steal weapons from the convoy because they need more firepower, but the Americans just want to destroy the convoy so that the weapons can't be used against them, and the Russians just want to get to wherever they are going!