Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Stupid OFPEC link  (Read 2196 times)

Offline wired

• Members
  • Explosion Scripter for the [unsung] mod!!!
Stupid OFPEC link
« on: 03 Dec 2003, 19:53:45 »
Everytime i try to download a mission, script snippet or an addon now, i have to click on the download here hyperlink but then it takes me straight to:
http://www.ofpec.com/nolinking.php
i am not running any of the known programs on the nolinking page, nor am i typing the download link straight into the address bar!
P.s, my security stuff is supposed to be compatable with OFPEC!!! :'(
This is the first time this has happened to me since you put ofpec offline for a few hours the other day doing FTP stuff!

I AM DISAPPOINTED!!! >:(
We have a problem at 'Oscar-Charlie 2-7' do you read me? Well its that guy with the RPG!

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
Re:Stupid OFPEC link
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2003, 20:59:11 »
The FTP "stuff" is unrelated to the Hot-Link Protection system.

If you could give us a few details, we should be able to help:

1. What version of Windows, web-browser and/or download manager are you using.
2. Is it a home dialup, home broadband, work broadband, etc
3. Is the PC on a network?

There are going to be hiccups when any new system is introduced.
However, by providing us with information like the above, we can then work on refining that system back to the transparency you have enjoyed in the past.

Many thanks,
Noon
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline wired

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2003, 23:54:36 »
Im using Windows XP and a home dialup connection with Microsoft Internet Explorer. I used to use Norton Internet Sercurity but it ran out and i am now using something else.......dont want to say what cos of hackers but i know it's fully compatable with OFPEC. It ent on a Network either an never was. What was the point in changing OFPEC? it was fine in my eyes.

P.s. I cant get around very well on the editing depot either because you've made it more complicated now! >:(
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2003, 23:55:52 by wired »
We have a problem at 'Oscar-Charlie 2-7' do you read me? Well its that guy with the RPG!

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #3 on: 04 Dec 2003, 00:16:23 »
I used to use Norton Internet Sercurity but it ran out and i am now using something else.......dont want to say what cos of hackers but i know it's fully compatable with OFPEC.
If you wont cooperate with us, it will be hard for us to help you. The problem has to be due to either a download manager you are using, or this 'secret' security software you are using. When you click on a link, one of things that is sent to the web server is called a 'referrer'. Something on your system is blocking the referrer from being sent. Go into the help file or support website for that top secret seccurity software of yours and find how to make it not block referrers to OFPEC. That's all the help we can give, if you choose not to give us any background information.
What was the point in changing OFPEC? it was fine in my eyes.
People were remotely linking to our download files to supplement their sites' content. We found a very simple way to stop it from happening, so we did.
P.s. I cant get around very well on the editing depot either because you've made it more complicated now! >:(
If you mean the collapsable menus int he Ed Depot, scroll down to the bottom a click on the link that says "Expand All". From there, you will pretty much have the 'old' Ed Depot look.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 04 Dec 2003, 01:09:27 »
wired,

You may be frustrated, but a combative and uninformative attitude is not going to solve your problem, is it? ;)

By letting us know what you're using, we can tell you if it is compatible or not.
And if it isn't, then we can also instruct you how to fix it.

If you don't want to post the name of the system publically, all the OFPEC staff are reachable via the IM system or email. :thumbsup:

P.s. I cant get around very well on the editing depot either because you've made it more complicated now!
Actually, it was vastly simplified by the change, not made harder.
Bear in mind that we don't make changes to make things harder, otherwise whats the point of running OFPEC for the community?
We make changes to benefit the community & member base, which the Ed Depot change has done admirably.

But as toadlife says, if you find it uncomfortable, then follow his instruction and things will be like they were. :)

Offline wired

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 04 Dec 2003, 18:55:00 »
Doesn't matter now cos i've got NIS back again. Ive tryed your help page but i dont understand it. Its for NIS 2003-2004 but i hav the old 2002 version.

click on the link that says "Expand All".
P.s. I tried that pal, and it didn't work! Neither do the collapsable Menus. >:(

deaddog

« Reply #6 on: 04 Dec 2003, 19:27:03 »
The first thing you should do is learn some manners.  These people are trying to help you and the least you could do is say Thanks.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec 2003, 19:27:52 »
wired,

Our help page simply redirects you to the Symantec help page.
The page linked does indeed relate to 2003/04, but if you read it, you'd see that there's a link at the start of the page on how to fix NIS 2002.
::)

Before you begin: This document is intended for use with Norton Internet Security, Norton Internet Security Professional, and Norton Personal firewall 2003 or 2004. For information on how to pass referrer information in NIS or NPF 2002 or earlier, read the document How to pass referrer information to specific Web pages.

P.s. I tried that pal, and it didn't work! Neither do the collapsable Menus.
Well, they work for *everyone* else, so you need to start inspecting your browser settings and maybe flush the IE temp files so that the Ed Depot page is up to date.

wired, you need to stop simply blaming us and start taking some action towards fixing this problem.
We can only help you so far, you have to do the rest.

So please, work with us here to fix it instead of resisting our advice, and things will go a lot easier for this matter.

Thx.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #8 on: 04 Dec 2003, 20:39:19 »
@wired

I have found that even though I may be logged into the forums, I still need to log into the Editors Depot before the options to expand or collapse the menus are available.

Try logging in on the Editors Depot and it should work ok.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline wired

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 04 Dec 2003, 21:44:05 »
@plank
will do!

@noon416
Sorry, i must be flippin blind! :beat: