Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Scripting: Advanced AI skill improvement  (Read 12440 times)

Unnamed

Re:Scripting: Advanced AI skill improvement
« Reply #60 on: 07 Jan 2004, 16:02:14 »
I had explained that before: due to OFP bugs, the stored result will be considered "null" (using our debug method of hint format, it will return the known and strange string - "0xdede......" or something like this. Besides, it will spare OFP's memory management as you don't have to store variables. Just check a few posts before and you'll understand me.

Never heard about the null bug before? You mean a variable given the address of an object by the nearestobject, command will/can be set to null by mistake?

Now, about your method: have you tested it? Will the area calculation be easier than Spinor's method? Such is important as the game will lag due to excessive calculation.

No testing yet, I do need a terrain scanner for my observer, although for different requirements, so I will give my idea a try.

To be honest it depends on lots of factors, like the relative overheads of using nearestobject, the in command on larger arrays and multiple if statements. It may not even be so bad, having duplicate objects in the final arrays, if it speeds up the initial processing.

hope you understood. I'd explain better in portuguese but... you know

Nope, still none the wiser. But it's no big deal, and my portuguese is a little rusty :)
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2004, 16:04:10 by Unnamed »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #61 on: 11 Jan 2004, 18:36:30 »
I haven't read the thread(I think you understand why, its soooo long)but I have a suggestion.

When AI is low on ammo it should decide which weapon to take from a dead body, the closest or the best? And automaticly take the one it finds best suited without any stupid orders from the player leader. Should be fairly easy to make.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #62 on: 12 Jan 2004, 04:37:12 »
I agree, that would be a great feature (more so for the AI squads than the player squads, since the AI squads have no way of doing that now). I've thought about doing a script like that in the past, however, it wouldn't be as easy to make as you seem to think. But if you have a good idea on how to do it, please post a script showing it, and perhaps we can work on ways to improve it.  :-X
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #63 on: 12 Jan 2004, 07:54:49 »
Oh, no, no, no, no, you guys are the gurus. I can make easy scripts, I'm absolutley no AI-improver. :P

Don't you have to put each gun that's, say 50 meters from the AI in an array and then let the script have a lot of math and crap about which would be the best to pick up(for example: the AI should rather pick up a M21 10 meters away from him than a Kozlice 8 meters from him).

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jan 2004, 10:33:07 »
hmm - there's just one thing, you should never forget here:

soldiers and their rifles are married

I don't think it's very realistic, if ai goes for changing the
rifle just because they ran out of ammo, even though there's
the right ammo for their guns laying around.

Also think about the fact that some soldiers will even not hit
a hangar door with the rifle of a stranger due to their own
configuration and training on their very own rifle.

SF's may be an exception as i believe those are also trained
to use a whole lotta more different weapons (even enemy's
ones).

Another point is:

what is the best weapon in the near?

Is it a machinegun, is it the grenadelauncher rifle, an AK, or
the shotgun?
This will in many ways depend on the combat situation, so
i think the implemention of this could lead in some cases
into a very unlucky direction.

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #65 on: 12 Jan 2004, 12:27:15 »
i actualy made a script 4 picking up ammo (toadlife uses edited ver of it in his kool mision - da 1 dat u need 2 rescue som captive from a prision - got som randmo location damn cant remember da name) was made 4 NPD2 ;D

not makin soldier change his weapon tho - dis shud b kept 2 da commander so he decides wich weapons he needs in da mision (silenced ? MGs ? mebe he wants somin else ?)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #66 on: 13 Jan 2004, 18:42:29 »
I don't think it's very realistic, if ai goes for changing the
rifle just because they ran out of ammo, even though there's
the right ammo for their guns laying around.

Agreed, of course the AI should pick up ammo for their gun first, if available. However, if I were outta ammo for my m16, and there was none around, I'd gladly throw it away and grab an AK (assuming I was in immediate danger).

Also think about the fact that some soldiers will even not hit
a hangar door with the rifle of a stranger due to their own
configuration and training on their very own rifle.

Yes, each rifle is BZO'd (battle-sight zeroed) for each individual shooter; however, even if a weapon isn't zeroed for you, it is still fairly accurate at close ranges (100-200 meteres), and you could always just adjust it on the fly. Also, not all weapons have adjustable sights like the m16.

HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #67 on: 13 Jan 2004, 21:03:22 »
OK then, what about picking up AT if the squad has none and it's laying around and there's tanks in the area? I'm tired of AI that just lay themself down if an abram rumbles in.

Komuna

« Reply #68 on: 02 Feb 2004, 14:54:19 »
The current topic subject will be developed by the ECP team.
The first results of our work will be available in a few weeks.

If you want to contribute, join us.

Until the first reliable results have been achieved, this topic will be locked.