Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Tango in Sight  (Read 4170 times)

Offline SafetyCatch

• Members
  • War...it's fantastic!
Tango in Sight
« on: 22 Oct 2003, 16:19:17 »
Hi
I've started working on a campaign which uses the BAS addons
I've spent a long time and effort making the storyline solid and here is a short description of what it's all about  :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story
In 1999 the 75th Ranger Regiment and many of the 1st SFOD-D, along with several pilots and aircraft from the 160th SOAR, were transferred to the South African region of Tonal. This is their story.

Between 1992 and 1994 there was a bloody civil war between the South African Government and the population of the region known as Tonal. Tonal was under rule of the Government as is the rest of the country.
The war was believed to have been started by an ex North African General, Ezra Montsho, as a way of gaining control of Tonal. He brought together a large band of rebels who terrorised the people of Tonal.
Montsho believed that Tonal was his land, the land of his forefathers that was wrongly taken from them during apartheid. However the South African Government thought differently.
The South African Government forces fought back, however Montsho was capable of winning the hearts of thousands of civilians who formed violent militia gangs, patrolling the streets of Tonal.
He was guilty of over 600 deaths of South African civilians in the region of Tonal, over 500 South African troops, and nearly 20 South African MPs. Montsho was also involved in drugs and arms trafficking as well has having several connections with the black market.

In 1994 General Ezra Montsho, leader of the Rebel Militia forces, was arrested by Government troops, during a raid on a weapons store, for war crimes he had committed during the war. He was proud of his actions and was sentenced to life imprisonment for the use of chemical weapons on civilians and Government forces, and the murder of over a thousand people.
In 1996 the South African Government were concerned that the mobs were not calming as quickly as they would have hoped. Montsho also tried to escape from prison a few times. The Government decided to publicly execute General Ezra Montsho, the next year, in front of an entire nation, to act as a threat to his followers.

In 1997 Rebel factions started to appear all over the region of Tonal. Militia forces formed violent gangs and vicious attacks were carried out on Government buildings. The country fell into disarray with Government forces engaging civilian militia troops as well as organised rebel forces. The Government forces were very confused as to whom they were fighting, and who was on their side.
Montsho's followers were still very much an army. The region of Tonal fell into disarray once again, and there were many casualties.
Exactly a week before his scheduled execution, the most violent and ruthless rebel leader, General Montsho, escaped from the maximum-security facility by means of a rebel attack on the compound. He took control of many towns and cities and many militia forces joined his cause. Once again, his mission was to take back what he believed to be his land and push the Government forces out of the area.
By 1998, all was lost for the South African Government. They had lost over 300 troops in the area of Tonal and Montsho's forces had publicly executed many civilians who were backing the Government. The South African Government begged the United Nations for assistance. Almost a year later the United Nations agreed to help the Government forces in Tonal.

General Ezra Montsho is on the FBI most wanted list for war crimes. In 1999 the U.S. Military deployed the 75th Ranger Regiment and many of the SFOD-D, plus some units from the 160th SOAR, into the area of Tonal, as part of the U.N. agreement, to keep the peace and control the civil war by any means possible.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas will be appreciated and I'm also looking for a cutscene maker to work closely with, in making the campaign the best it can be
Thanks  :D
Safety

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2003, 16:20:13 by SafetyCatch »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Tango in Sight
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2003, 18:02:30 »
If you're lookin for a team check the Recruitment Depot

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Iwesshome

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2003, 18:12:57 »
I smell BHD themed missions burning on the stove here... Looks good though  :thumbsup:

m21man

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2003, 20:31:07 »
The question is, how will it compare to the BAS Insurgency campaign?

Offline SafetyCatch

• Members
  • War...it's fantastic!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2003, 23:23:22 »
The question is, how will it compare to the BAS Insurgency campaign?
There will be no such competition
This campaign will feature different sorts of missions, I am not looking to compare it with BAS
It is simply a way of showing my appreciation of these addons and also giving the OFP public something back
If you have any questions or comments I would be glad to answer them  :D
Safety

Offline Jackal326

• Former Staff
  • SJB Addons
    • SJB Addons
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2003, 23:46:11 »
Sounds like a good storyline. Nice to see people putting an effort into deep and interesting back stories for mission/campaigns. Nice work.
"...if someone did that to me, I'd smash their head in, I'd stab them, shoot 'em and push 'em off a roof!" - Dutch Wagenbach

m21man

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2003, 01:18:00 »
I was just worrying that the campaign could be easily overshadowed by the BAS campaign. The idea is very good, sounds very BHDish.

Kaliyuga

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2003, 04:09:09 »
  I wasn't too terribly impressed with the BAS  Insurgency campaign anyways....

even after the patch it still didn't work right for me or a few other people I know that played through it....  :(

m21man

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2003, 04:20:03 »
It works fine for me, but I would say that the quality of the missions is mediocre at best. Basically, the beauty of the island completely overpowers the low-quality missions. Just throw some patrols into a jungle, put in some triggers, and Voila! we have a beautiful jungle mission (#5, "Zinaba").

Offline SafetyCatch

• Members
  • War...it's fantastic!
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2003, 11:21:29 »
the campaign will contain different features from the Insurgency campaign, I am not looking to compare them
if you have any ideas for missions or stroy twists i'd be happy to accept them
safety  :D

Offline SafetyCatch

• Members
  • War...it's fantastic!
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2003, 13:55:47 »
ok lets try that again  :)
wat kind of missions wud u like to see in a ranger/delta campaign??

m21man

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2003, 15:39:57 »
1. Lots of jungle fighting ;D .

2. You know that big bridge in Lorengau Pass? I think a really good mission would be one where guerrillas ambushed a convoy that was traveling over it. You could be part of a small squad assigned to protect the convoy. The guerrillas could be firing at the bridge from both the hill to the east of the bridge and the hill to the west of the bridge. No place to run, no place to hide, all you could do is stand and fight.

3. The obligatory BHD mission. MH-60 gets shot down over Ixtlan (Tatu if you're ambitious, Rangers must move in, secure the area and rescue any crewmembers, then RTB.

Offline SafetyCatch

• Members
  • War...it's fantastic!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2003, 18:50:55 »
the first mission is well underway  :D
the script is written and the sound files are being recorded  ;D
it's a pretty simple mission but it gets you to grips with the situation
you are assigned to protect a food convoy
i thought the next mission shud b a lot more exciting so if u have any ideas on a good followup mission im open to suggestions

Offline Gastovski

• Members
  • #loop; Gastovski setdammage 0; ~0.01; goto "loop";
    • Falklands Mod
« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2003, 18:52:44 »
Sounds good matey... I would like some recce missions in it tho, not all gung ho shoot the crap out of everything ;D

Vyper

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2003, 12:02:43 »
Recce is good....or sabotage....some stealthy ones naturally!

Vyper