Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A Day of Fury  (Read 1017 times)

radiosilence

A Day of Fury
« on: 11 Oct 2003, 00:44:43 »
Perhaps it's not the most sane idea to post after so long (it's just for fun, tho i'd certainly play this one), but...

... What about getting inside the skin of Michael Douglas and blowing off a little steam on a mission made around the movie A DAY OF FURY?

You wouldn't need to follow what happens in the movie. Just the core idea. The key here is to watch the movie and see WHY the protagonist does what he does (what drives him to do it) and translate that into the mission. I think (but I might be wrong) that this is a story about a common guy who needs the world to change, to stink less, and no one seems to do anything to change it so he decides he'll do it since he's so tired of everything.

These are random suggestions for stuff that might happen:

With the Resistance addon, you have the towns, the bridges, the buses, the guns, etc, that you need to make a nice little suburban place. There's the chance of recreating highways, traffic jams that drive you crazy, fast food chains that won't serve you breakfast because it's two minutes past eleven, etc.

The cool thing about this mission is that you can overreact (read: gun everyone down).

You could go buy weapons from shops. Maybe when you kill too many people your reputation is so bad that most won't sell you stuff.

You can go to dangerous neighbourhoods and maybe shoot down a crack dealer or face a gang or rescue someone.

I dunno, cities and large towns have so many things going on that can make it into this mission...

One thing: no soldiers. This is an all-civilian thing. Of course someone must chase you when you start running wild.  BUt why not let them be cops. Or cops and other groups.

For instance, different mafia groups, gangs, individuals, etc.

Let's say you kill a mafia guy. That mafia family will be after you, too. Let's say they're "resistance" and the cops are "east". So both are after you, but if they meet each other, they'll shoot each other too.

Let's say you kill someone else. You can make someone take revenge on that person's death. The avenger will follow you and hunt you down.

Lots of mayhem. You get the idea.

Maybe you could learn to do stuff. Let's say at the beginning all cars are locked. But you can meet someone who, for money or because you're about to kill him or because you've got something he wants, tells you how to open and steal cars. Bam! All cars are now fair game for you.

This could be applied to many other skills (opening houses and lock boxes are just a few).

You could have a reputation counter, based on how many points you've earned (which basically means how many people you've killed). You can have TVs that, if the reputation goes way down, show your face to alert the population --you're wanted and on national TV. (This could simply be a TV that has the character's face pasted on the screen, you could switch TVs around you to show you or not depending how your rep is). A cutscene could go off when your reputation changes, showing how the news talk about you (4-5 short cutscenes triggered by your score changes).

I'm not saying all this should happen. Just possibilities. I'm sure you'll come up with better ones. Interacting, doing civilian stuff like wanting your breakfast and not getting it, having someone call you home to tell you how you suck, etc., is one of the keys.

I know it's not what you'd call a strategic mission. But the movie was fine, and I don't think I ever played a mission like this in my OFP days (I wouldn't know now).

And if something like what happens in the movie (especially the background) can be rendered into the mission (maybe an intro cutscene?) and if the mission branches (the direction of the story depends on your choices, like you can meet or not someone who gives you a certain key to unlock a certain  thing, different people might ask you to do different things for them) and some direction (not just shooting away, but having to follow varying storylines, like in RPG quests), I believe that the mission would be very enjoyable.

Especially when you come back stressed out from work and just want to dust off your old LAW Launcher and shoot away a bus or two ;D

This'll probably get locked, but i'm so used to it that I say in advance that there are no hard feelings  ;)

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
Re:A Day of Fury
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2003, 04:53:06 »
Hah, somebody told me about this movie once but I never saw it.

Isn't it called "Falling Down?"

Think "Office Space" but with a psychotic rampage instead  ;D :hmm:

I've seen stranger  ;)