Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: timing for salutation ?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline goki

• Members
timing for salutation ?
« on: 20 Aug 2003, 13:12:11 »
Hi,

I posted this query here cause I will ask a question about a general rule in military.

let's say we have a captain waiting at base and hero who completes a mission returns to the base and a dialogue begins between captain and our hero soldier. First captain says " I am so proud of you bla bla.." and then hero says "thanks you sir".

and here is my question;

when should salutation happen?

a) at once when both sees each other. First captain and then hero soldier

b) when dialogue finishes. First captain then soldier.

which is right? besides if both are wrong can you write the right one?

as you see I don't know enough about rules in miliatary and I will get glad if you help me dudes :))

-G

Iwesshome

Re:timing for salutation ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2003, 14:19:50 »
From the Official US Army Handbook...

Saluting
The origin of the hand salute is uncertain. Some historians believe it began in late Roman times when assassinations were common. A citizen who wanted to see a public official had to approach with his right hand raised to show that he did not hold a weapon. Knights in armor raised visors with the right hand when meeting a comrade. This practice gradually became a way of showing respect and, in early American history, sometimes involved removing the hat. By 1820, the motion was modified to touching the hat, and since then it has become the hand salute used today.

During your time in the Army, you salute to show respect toward an officer, flag, or our country. The proper way to salute with or without a weapon is described in FM 22-5. The rules of saluting are as follows:

*When you meet someone outside, salute as soon as you recognize that he or she is an officer (or, if you are walking toward the officer, wait until you are about six steps away).

*Salute all officers (recognized by rank) in official vehicles identified by special plates or flags.

*Salute only on command when in formation.

*If in a group, and an officer approaches, the first soldier to recognize the officer calls the group to attention and all personnel salute.

*If you approach an officer while you are double-timing alone, assume quick time march and render the hand salute. When the salute is returned, execute order arms and resume double-timing.

*The salute is always initiated by the subordinate and is terminated only after acknowledgment by the individual being saluted.

*Accompany the salute with an appropriate greeting, such as, "Good morning/afternoon, sir/ma'am."

*Salutes are not required to be rendered by or to personnel who are driving or riding in privately owned vehicles.

*It is not customary for enlisted personnel to exchange salutes, except in some ceremonial situations.

*Never render a salute with a noticeable object in your mouth or right hand.

*If you are on detail, and an officer approaches, salute if you are in charge of the detail. Otherwise, continue to work. If you are spoken to, then come to the position of attention.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2003, 14:21:57 by Iwesshome »

mikeb

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2003, 19:12:38 »
very similar in the brit army too.  the group salutation can differ slightly though.  for example if a soldier passes 2 officers, his salute is directed to both but deemed more to be for the "benefit" of the highest ranking officer.  that officer then returns the salute but the other officer (lower ranking) will simplay move his arms to his sides as if coming to attention.

also if an officer approaces a group of slodiers the first soldier to notice will salute after calling the others to attention but they won't salute as well.

as for non-officers, these are never saluted (inc NCOs).  However, if the RSM or someone of a similar stature approaches soldiers are generally expected to come to attention.  It is also often customary for a young officer to come to attention for an RSM when entering his office even though, strictly speaking, the officer outranks the RSM.

oh... and if a officer enters the office of a higher ranking officer and salutes, the seated officer comes to attention while seating (sounds strange if you've never seen it!).  if the other way round, the seated officer would generally be expected to stand up.

Finally, in the brit army NEVER salute unless you are wearing  formal headress (beret with badge,ceremonial headdress, NOT a helmet - basically needs the regimental symbol on it).  in such situations coming to attention is the appropriate action.

not the most eloquent of posts about formalities, forgive me.  I don't have a handbook with me and my memory of all this is a little blurred!

Stu35

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2003, 20:39:59 »
In Britain the Enlisted Man salutes the officer, the officer usually salutes back and the Enlisted man ends his salute AFTER the officer, if he doesn't(its at the Officers discretion, but its just common politeness to salute back) then he ends it after 3 seconds.

There is some other stuff but thats listed above and nobody really cares anyway... (at least they didnt in my day).
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2003, 20:41:00 by Stu35 »

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2003, 01:18:22 »
*Never render a salute with a noticeable object in your mouth or right hand

roflmao - as Bill Clinton said to Monica  ;)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2003, 02:57:12 »
My God  ::)

I think the salute thing is sloppy in ofp anyway. Not sure but does the anim even include the heels coming together? Anyway, the way we salute in Finland while in combat gear is just a nod. But if the silk-arse-officer has setup a nice CP, dunno. Just seems odd to salute even if arriving as expected. Only if the officer is sitting behind a desk. So instead try to make the hero nod at the end of approach. The officer doesn't respond, but waits for the nod and then inserts tongue.  ;D
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

Phantom

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2003, 11:28:49 »
yeh, lowest rank, salutes the officer, then officer returns, then they lower at about the same time. it's wha - two three - wha, that's the official aussie timing.

Offline goki

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2003, 12:20:47 »
Hi guys !

thanks to everyone but especially to mi-fred, indeed he simplified the matter much more than others ( it's strange but I am communicating with people from Finland much better than I do with other people. )

well, my captain was standing on outside and a group of soldiers ( around 20 soldiers were standing a few meters back of him ) then my hero arrives "as expected" so I will put here no salutation. afterwards my hero and captain get face to face and the dialouge begins. At the end of the dialouge the hero thanks ( cause the captain eulogizes the hero a bit with his last words  ;D  )  then the hero salutes, yet the captain doesn't. Finally the camera zooms out smoothly and gets black :)

suppose my latest mission will be ready soon :)

I am not clicking "solved" button at the moment cause maybe after this message of me you add a new comment. I will check here again.

incidentally the joke about monica and bill was marvelous !  ;D you're d..n good :)

see you lolls  ;)

-G

Drozdov

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2003, 17:54:24 »
Here's a further complication to the salute thing. What if you are meeting with a foreign group of soldiers? In my mission, an American colonel meets up with a squad of militia men. Would he salute first? Or what? The leader of the militia is a Lieutenant, incidentally.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2003, 17:58:18 »
Higher rank is higher rank, but the unit that is 'foreign' will usually be the one to salute first. Let's say the US soldiers are operating in Italy, and meet italian militia, the US soldier would usually be the first to salute. That is of course most applicable when it's difficult to decide which rank is higher, since not all countries use the same ranks.
It is also applicable if the two unit CO's have the same rank.

Otherwise it's as normal, lower rank salutes higher rank.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Stu35

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2003, 16:32:50 »
Jesus we were supposed to salute foriegn officers? we are supposed to respect foriegn officers?

oh shit...

ah well, bit late for that now  ;)

*reflects for a moment on the Gulf War, especially the moment where the Young Stu35 told a yank officer to **** off*

Good times.  :)

Offline goki

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2003, 13:49:37 »
Hi guys !  :)

First of all, thanks for helping me,  :)

hey there are other people suffering from this matter, so maybe I shouldn't click "solve" button eh?

Assuming, I am doing right ( check my previous message ) and nobody is adding a new comment.

So my problem is solved,  ;)

thanks again,  :D

-G

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #12 on: 24 Aug 2003, 16:08:02 »
incidentally the joke about monica and bill was marvelous !   you're d..n good

why... thank you  :D