Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Off Topic  (Read 2213 times)

Ram TN

Off Topic
« on: 17 Aug 2003, 12:28:05 »
Why isn't there an off-topic forum in here? I think it will add quite a lot to this site.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2003, 12:31:10 »
A quite a lot of rubish and flame wars. Aye, you're right.  ;)

I remember a time when we had such a category in this forum and it just didn't work out the way it should have. I think it'll be a long long while untill we see that happening again.
Not all is lost.

Ram TN

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2003, 13:31:42 »
Why? Why not give it a second chance? I believe such a forum will attract more users to this forum, thus allowing more OFP fans to learn how to edit and create missions and addons. Plus, such a forum will give us a place to chat about stuff that are... well, off topic!  ;)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2003, 14:11:53 »
I'm sure an admin will give you an aswer of sadisfaction in no time, but in the mean time you can check out our http://www.ofpec.com/irc.php Live Irc Chat with a user friendly interface.
In there you can discuss pretty freely about off topic subjects as well as editing related ones.
Not all is lost.

Offline pcverden

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2003, 14:56:05 »
"To keep all posts on an Editing / realistic theme. We do not accept posts with regards to fantasy settings / mods / missions / ideas / suggestions. The easiest way to define this is simply:

Is it possible to create / achieve / enact what I suggest, in Real Life?

If the answer is 'Yes', then consider it realistic, and feel free to submit it, but realise, as always, that the Moderators decision is final on what is acceptable and what is not.

With regards to the Editing issue, all posts must in some way revolve around Operation Flashpoint and the Editing scene, we do not accept posts about other games, comparisons to other games, or surveys on which weapons in rea life are the best, or surveys which serve no purpose towards the Editing Scene. Any posts made that do not in some way mode towards Editing, will again be subject to Moderator Procedures."

Rules are rules and they are to be followed. Plus why change something that is working so great?

(expect a better reply from an admin/global mod)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2003, 21:19:35 »
Why isn't there an off-topic forum in here? I think it will add quite a lot to this site.

We had one. And removing it added quite a lot to the site.

Now the forums are back on focus and our list of banned members has stopped growing in light speed.

Ram TN

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2003, 21:44:17 »
But will an off-topic forum really make that much problems? What do you care if people talk about whatever they want, as long as they don't interrupt with other forums? Will that really ruin this site?

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2003, 22:03:12 »
But will an off-topic forum really make that much problems?

Yes.

Our forums are known for their peacefulness. It's virtually impossible to keep off topic forums peacful (unless you have a lot of additional staff that could be used for something useful instead). I'm not just saying this, it's an experience we made.

We're always open for input but there will be no off topic forum here. I suggest to open your own forums and have an off topic forum there. You'll quickly see how much trouble you'll have.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2003, 22:08:36 by Sefe »

Ram TN

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2003, 12:00:22 »
What kind of troubles? I've been involved in many off-topic forums, and we had very little problems to none. I don't think that discussing about how to take care of post-war Iraq, or about that new car that just came out, will interrupt the regular forums in any sort of way. But, again, that's only my opinion, it's your forums, do whatever you want about it...  :-X

Iwesshome

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2003, 12:20:02 »
Ram TN,

Taking this from the Front Page...
OFPEC is the home of OFP editing. By the community, for the community.

I don't think that discussing about how to take care of postwar Iraq, or about that new car that just came out, will interrupt the regular forums in any sort of way.
OFPEC was not designed to hold off-topic debates. This site was created to be a place for the OFP Community to come together and gather resources needed for their OFP Editing.

Discussing topics like how to build postwar Iraq may not be an appropriate topic for some of our members. Remember this is an International Forum and we have many opinions that come here. If you were to state one thing and someone else saw that post and disagreed they would respond back negative, which then could start a flame war.  This was tried for a while and did not work in the best interests of the OFPEC site so the board was removed and focus was placed back into OFP Editing.

Just My 2 Cents  ;)

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2003, 15:42:13 »
yeah i agree generally look at http://ofp.gamezone.cz and look at some of the addon comemnts at how bad things become but i do think a general ofp (but not tech support) forum part wouldnt go amiss

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2003, 21:26:36 »
Ram TN,

Firstly, we appreciate that you took the time to make this suggestion.

Secondly, as stated by Sefe and others above, given our previous experiences with off-topic boards we take the stance we have purely out of necessity.
By keeping OFPEC "off-topic free", this site has almost become a place of refuge for addon makers and mission editors, away from the pointless flame wars that rack so many of our brother and sister sites.
Given that benefit, and that we take a hard line in moderating, the forums have maintained a very tight and beneficial focus that has always earned us praise.

So thank you for your suggestion, and feel free to make others.
But in this particular case, we'll be standing by our decision.

:)
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2003, 21:33:33 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2003, 22:01:12 »
yeah i appreciate you guys :D although i have had my grievances with some of you for locking seemingly relevant topics (e.g asmo locking my A-10 with human missles post) but im a moderator of 1 or 2 boards myself, been on load of forums, moderators are like family, you sometimes dont like em, but they ARE there for a reason lol, so no hard feelings, if u guys are ever in need of someone to help u durin rough times, ill be waiting to answer the call lol