Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: BIS campaign  (Read 2622 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
BIS campaign
« on: 04 Aug 2003, 21:17:25 »
Some mission reviewers refers to the BIS campaigns/missions when reviewing. So I just want to ask, what would you reviewers give the BIS campaigns if you had to review it?

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re:BIS campaign
« Reply #1 on: 04 Aug 2003, 21:23:39 »
Good question. 8.
Not all is lost.

Iwesshome

« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2003, 13:52:17 »
OFP: 8/10

- When this game came out it help set a new standard on military sim. It has good cutscene, music, voice acting and a good storyline. Some of the missions

Red Hammer: 6/10

- Pretty much the same as above but there was not a lot of fun playing it... Nothing new and some of the missions appeared to be drawn out or very short.

Resistance: 9/10

- I think this gave OFP a good comeback... It had a brand new storyline that made you feel part of the action and made you feel like you were right in there with the resistance fighting those Russians.

*I felt the environment of the maps also influenced my score

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #3 on: 05 Aug 2003, 18:42:24 »
the original was great because it had a good mix of simple, relaxed missions which you could stroll through... and those you just had to try again - remember the camping mission? great fun - and it was a good story teller - deffinatly an 8 - just lacked certain things

red hammer - hmmm - i got so bored of this campaign - completed it in the end, but didnt feel like i had achieved anything... lol... what can i say, it was a codemasters production, not BIS - hence a 5.

resistance - wow - new island, new toys - yay - lots of missions, great great great story line and mostly believable objectives - you really got into your character and was great to see a welcome return of Gastovski and other old 'friends' - and hey, who didn't feel a bit sad when the lead character died... and Gas' little speech  :'( - 9 or even a 10 - pure genius if a campaign

as for the SP missions they gave - hmmm - some ok, some just poor - the Flag mission was utter pointless, as were many of the 'look at my shiny new addon' ones - the best may have to have been revenge or ambush  :P
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Captain Winters

« Reply #4 on: 05 Aug 2003, 21:50:44 »
OFP: CWC- This was a fun campaign, a little mudane, but it was fun. But it was missing a captivating storyline. I'd give it an 8.

Red Hammer- No comment. I really didn't like this one. 5

Resistance- I will never forge this campaign. it enthralled me completely. storyline. my god. Talk about every great war movie- this was it! I was tingling all over at the end of it. Hell a tear could of fell from myt eye at Viktor's demise. I sat there: "he's not dead. he's not dead. my god, he is not dead. over and over I said to myself. Gastovski's speech at the end. Magnificent. 10, easy. It felt like I was tom hanks in Saving Private Ryan. No computer game ever gave me that feeling of compassion before. I found myself in tears at Geronmio's death. Damn. Enthralling, awsome, magnificent! 10 I loved it!

Tanks! 8)

max_killer_payne

« Reply #5 on: 05 Aug 2003, 22:37:58 »
The original campaign

I thought this was great. Even after being mowed down by the same BMP time and time again, I still refused to switch off. A good storyline, a believable story line. Unlike other games. A 9/10, great, thoroughly enjoyable.

Red Hammer

I was excited when I heard of this. I was slightly disappointed though. As some of the missions felt not finished or rushed. In fact I think one of them would've done exactly the same without scripts. 7

Resistance

Absoluetly fantastic. Great, nothing more to say. Just superb. Oh and Cap'n u ruined the ending for me!!  :'( I cant complete it due to a wierd bug that every time I begin one of the missions, my character starts out badly wounded!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 05 Aug 2003, 22:43:01 »
I'd agree that CWC is an 8 or 9.  

But how can Resistance score more than CWC?  ???   Resistance is derivative rather than original and considerably smaller in scope.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it.     And there's no doubt at all that Red Hammer was a notch or two below CWC: it would lose marks for the technical problems if nothing else.

Put it another way.   Which campaign changed your life?   Was it

a)  Cold War Crisis?

b)  Resistance?

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Iwesshome

« Reply #7 on: 05 Aug 2003, 23:04:06 »
But how can Resistance score more than CWC?  ???  Resistance is derivative rather than original and considerably smaller in scope.
Even though it is an addon to CWC I feel that it pulled me into the clutches of great OFP storytelling and made me feel like I was there fighting with the Resistance and feeling their pain and happiness.

A. CWC

I have to choose A because if CWC was never created to begin with we could not be having this lovely discussion.

Gameer_77

« Reply #8 on: 05 Aug 2003, 23:06:58 »
CWC: Fabulous fun, if a little difficult/annoying/boring in places...Not really a campaign you want to repeat. Not a very good story-line, but varied missions...Missions, in my opinion, get a 6 (Capture the car ::)) all the way up to a 9 (Guardian :P And Ambush  :o)

Red Hammer: Yawn! Utter crap from The World's Worst Publisher© Using Bohemia's good name and game to sell their crap. The campaign gets <4 in my books.

Resistance:  :wow: I was getting a little bored of OFP about the time I got Resistance, but I can safely say it re-lit the dying flame...Simply fabulous addon. Besides it's excellent new editing commands and features, it's much more stable net-code (darn 56k), the campaign had the best ending EVER! And the missions were great fun too, using resources etc (besides the infamous bug). Missions get 8-9. ;D

And it had Pierce Brosnan as lead character...well ::)

Gameer  :-*

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #9 on: 05 Aug 2003, 23:46:35 »
OK, I'll give ya my review too.

CWC: Fun and high replay value. Have a few "Oh no! I don't wanna play this crap!" missions though. Had a lot of bugs and strange "Operation Network". Now were fighting the russians here on the south side. Hmmm, with the missions I have played so far the russians should have been squised in 2 towns now. Next mission: WTF? North of the island? How the fuck did they come up here?! 8/10

Red Hammer: Quite fun killin Americans. Too bad you change side later in the campaign. 6/10

Res: Uh... I've not played further than 'Scrap'. Got killed on that map once and I haven't continued since then. ?/10

But one thing you have to say about BIS missions: Excellent camera work!

Captain Winters

« Reply #10 on: 06 Aug 2003, 02:16:08 »
And it had Pierce Brosnan as lead character...well ::)

lol! yea Viktor sure as hell sounded like Pierce Brosnan!

Tanks!  8)

Stu35

« Reply #11 on: 06 Aug 2003, 02:34:46 »
Original:

7/10, good campaign, but no spectacular scripting to it, the inclusion of voices were excellent, and considering they made it BEFORE everyone had the means and the will to push the envelope in OFP, it deserves a high score for the resources it was made using.

Red Hammer:

5/10, this thing is basically the same as the original - they didn't push any kind of envelope which, as the developers of the game they should have at LEAST had a crack at, the inclusion of voices, however brings them up to a 5.

Resistance:

9/10, what can i say? the weapons and voices were spectacular, some of the animations and cutscenes were simply excellent, however a couple of missions were flawed, but the inclusion of carrying weapons over? really brought back the spark, this is one of only 3 things i would have considered giving a 10 too, but the mission where the helicopters came and you were supposed to panic but shot them down easily with a machine gun kind of took some of that HUGE amount of magic from it.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2003, 02:38:55 by Stu35 »

OFP Director

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2003, 03:13:57 »
lol! yea Viktor sure as hell sounded like Pierce Brosnan!

Tanks!  8)

Oh no, not this debate again. noooooooooooooooooooooo  :P

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2003, 04:47:42 »
Oh no, not this debate again. noooooooooooooooooooooo  

ROFLMAO!! I remember that accursed discussion too... ;D

I think this might be a convenient time to lock this thread down. Its served its purpose. :)

*Locked*
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"