Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Unofficial Addons put people off playing your map! Discuss  (Read 3409 times)

aazell

Hi all

Just thought I'd continue a rant I started in another part of this forum.

Why oh why do map makers insist on adding so many mod units to their maps?

I totally puts off players from playing your map. Unless your map get's a 9/10 rating I seriously doubt anyone is going to take the time to download the mods that you've put in.

Surely its better to have an interesting story and decent gameplay using the original componants of the game rather than a weak plot and a single massive firefight with different looking choppers and ranger outfits on your squaddies.

Ask yourself this question before you build your map.

Who am I making this for?

If the answer is yourself then please spare us all and don't post it here.

If the answer is others then please think about the basics first before you decide what mods you'll put in. A map built around a mod is always going to be naff.

I'd like to hear your views on this please cos I feel I'm the only one with this opinion.

Thanks

Aaz

Jujuman

Re:Unofficial Addons put people off playing your map! Discuss
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2003, 17:40:52 »
Well Personaly I find my self downloading only missions that have those good addons. I find it plain and boring to play the same old same old that was in the campaign and that I had to live with for a long time before people started making good mods. And I feel different unit, weapons, vehicles and choppers make a huge difference in the gameplay and most missions that use them would not be the same without them. I really dont see a point to continue playing OFP unless I get some mods to change the game and make it better.

And about the "who am I making this for?" question. I think thats stupid to say if someone makes a mission for them selves that they should not release it. I my self have been making missions for about 4 months now, Which is not long but i have yet to release any because im making them for my self. But if I make a mission I feel I want to share with people and I feel is of the quality to be released then I will come here and post it. I dont see why I should waste my time specificly making missions for everyone else but im not interested in the mission.

Thats just my view on the subject.

-Jujuman
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2003, 17:41:20 by Jujuman »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2003, 19:02:31 »
I don't mind 2 or 3 addons but when they are going higher than that I start thinking. Then there are reasons why addons should be included. They might add better atmosphere etc. But you should not include addons that are uneccesary, like somethin for a 5 sec cutscene shot.

Wasn't there a Mafia mission recently where u had to download a 200 MB addon for a curch? Christ! :P

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2003, 20:10:38 »
yeah and i mean sometimes, using a script can be beter than an addon, like having a mg on a truck for example, and i try to make missions which include the addons you SHOULD have because they are so good

m21man

« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2003, 22:00:44 »
Also, using truly different addons like CoCs mines improves missions by a lot cuz they add whole new ways you can fight ;D. Addons like the BAS Deltas/Rangers look cool, but unless your gonna do something big with 'em like a mission pack or campaign, then why use 'em? If you want cool M4s, you can also use Fliper's pack, and since it's compatible with 1.46, more people can play your missions.

m21man

« Reply #5 on: 03 Aug 2003, 22:02:49 »
Also, not everybody has cable or DSL. Remember when you make your mission that if you put huge addons in it, then poor 56k users like me are forced to sit up all night downloading stuff to play one mission :P.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #6 on: 04 Aug 2003, 00:39:35 »
I have cable and I'm American.  I think the only addons I'm put off by are foreign military forces.  I really like the FAMAS gun, but if its not on Solid Snake, I'm not going to download the Operation Frenchpoint demo.  It's a high quality addon but I stick to American units and foreign enemies.  Though Chechen Lahta was an almost perfect island, I almost put off downloading it because I figured that a conflict there is impossible.  I did get it though because it was a matter of quality.  If an addon is that good, ill create a scenario around it.  Everybody talked about the FDF mod and I don't care how many mafia missions you make from it, I don't see any reason to download the Finnish Defence Forces if I focus on conflicts between the United States and its enemies.  That's just my thing.  There are Finnish people who will downlod it.  My choices are a matter of where my focus is.  
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2003, 00:42:28 by BronzeEagle »

Jujuman

« Reply #7 on: 04 Aug 2003, 04:19:19 »
Addons like the BAS Deltas/Rangers look cool, but unless your gonna do something big with 'em like a mission pack or campaign, then why use 'em?

Why use 'em? Because it really is stupid to have a special forces mission where your special forces are in 1985 US regular old army gear. Theres nothing special looking about them. And the "BlackOps", They just dont have that really cool United States Special Operations Look about them.

-Jujuman
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2003, 04:24:55 by Jujuman »

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
« Reply #8 on: 04 Aug 2003, 06:50:26 »
Well,

i also thought this over for a long time. Of course some missions are not possible without AddOns (like Nam or WWII settings).
Also sometimes AddOn makes things possible which are not available without them. (Mines, Jetplane Airfights, Blood). But basically i think every AddOn should be worth at least one mission.
Why do i make Missions with AddOns ? Because IMHO all missions without AddOns are already made ! Sure i can do "Kill them all" #230. But nobody will download this either. If i made a script or improvement  which is able to be used without AddOns i try to make such a misson.

Greetings
Kuro

m21man

« Reply #9 on: 04 Aug 2003, 07:13:29 »
Why use 'em? Because it really is stupid to have a special forces mission where your special forces are in 1985 US regular old army gear. Theres nothing special looking about them. And the "BlackOps", They just dont have that really cool United States Special Operations Look about them.

-Jujuman

My point was that since I download at about 2.5 kbps, the missions had better be d**n good before I download a 20MB pack. A mission had better use all of the features available in big packs, otherwise I just waste time.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2003, 07:18:11 by m21man »

Homefry31464

« Reply #10 on: 04 Aug 2003, 21:47:21 »
Jeez, thats slow, even for my 56k I still get 5.4 or so downloads.  I think the best bet is to use really popular addons, like the BAS ones, SEB Nam Pack, or addons that are really small in size (60-200 kb) that can be included with the mission.

Phantom

« Reply #11 on: 05 Aug 2003, 01:28:59 »
i say use whatever the hell you want. but if your putting in addons, make sure you need them either for something to work/happen or if you need a certain type of person/vehicle for a look, same for islands. it's not your problem if people have slow internet. and it doesn't have to be available for everyone to download quickly and conveniently. this is the ofp world we live in, with shitloads of addons that everyone likes to use becaues the old original ofp ones just don't cut it compared to the quality people produce today.the only thing that will really shit me in a mission, is if something doesn't work or if you haven't given me links to get these addons, coz not all addons are easy to find, and we don't have all of 'em on our computer.

m21man

« Reply #12 on: 05 Aug 2003, 02:08:50 »
The problem is when people insist on putting large amounts of addons into missions just because they look cool. First off, you have to keep track of all the addons you have in OFP cuz they can overlap. I've seen missions where you had to download gross amounts of extra MBs simply because someone liked one type of rock a lot >:(. People could always release one version that uses a lot of addons, and another that uses few addons. It'd be blander, but much more forgiving for those who can't/won't get cable.

Jujuman

« Reply #13 on: 05 Aug 2003, 02:10:18 »
My point was that since I download at about 2.5 kbps, the missions had better be d**n good before I download a 20MB pack. A mission had better use all of the features available in big packs, otherwise I just waste time.

Ahh, Well sorry your stuck on 56k. I hated it when i had it.

Anyway I do agree with you that a mission NEEDS to use most of the features if not all of them if you are going to have them. But i dont think you should hold off on using cool addons just because something in the original game could take an addons place. For instance using a UH-60 in place of a BAS little bird or in the hopfully near future a BAS MH-60/BlackHawk. Because the MH-60 and littlebird are just so much cooler.

-Jujuman

m21man

« Reply #14 on: 05 Aug 2003, 04:18:15 »
But i dont think you should hold off on using cool addons just because something in the original game could take an addons place. For instance using a UH-60 in place of a BAS little bird or in the hopfully near future a BAS MH-60/BlackHawk. Because the MH-60 and littlebird are just so much cooler.

-Jujuman

Of course. What I hate is when people insist on using completely pointless addons, like in a mission where you have to blow up some aircraft sitting on the ground. Of course, they can't use the A-10 or Su-25. Nope, they gotta use an FA-18 pack or something like that. This is simply something you're gonna blow up :D! It doesn't need to be fancy >:(.

I think the BAS choppers are great cuz they're so different than the BIS choppers. I also don't object to cool jet fighter addons, but they're only fun when you get to fight 'em or fly 'em.
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2003, 04:21:10 by m21man »