Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: .50 Caliber Sniper Rifles  (Read 3989 times)

m21man

.50 Caliber Sniper Rifles
« on: 25 Jul 2003, 22:50:10 »
I've never seen a suppressed .50 caliber rifle in OFP, and to have someone make on would be great. They do exist in real life, but of course the suppressor's purpose is mainly to hide the muzzle flash. For instance, the suppressor on a UAA Model 5100 takes the sound level from about 175 decibels to about 140. Still quite deafening, but the lack of a muzzle flash permits more sniping.

As a sidenote on decibels :): 140 decibels is about as loud as a shotgun blast or jet taking off 100 feet away from you. Since decibel levels are logorithmic, that means that for every single-decibel increase, the noise level is multiplied by 10. If I'm not screwing up on my math, that means that a unsuppressed .50 is about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times louder than a shotgun. Yes, that's 35 zeroes ;D!
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2003, 23:13:10 by m21man »

m21man

Re:.50 Caliber Sniper Rifles
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2003, 22:51:35 »
Here's why a .50 caliber needs its flash reduced...
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2003, 22:52:12 by m21man »

bigdog632

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2003, 23:44:38 »
a flash suppressor i can see but i cant picture the sound suppression of a 50 cal being much more successful than to prolong the snipers hearing

i was on some gun clubs website and they were talking about a suppressor that doesnt muffle the sound but dissipates(proper word?) the sound so it is hard to determine where the bullet was fired from

STO_blackbird

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2003, 07:34:38 »

Something like this?  Looks good to me anyway

max_killer_payne

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2003, 19:36:33 »
Yeah like the one in Hitman 2!! That baby was an hitmans best friend. It could fire at a decent rate (about 3 shots everu 4 second) and could take a chunk outta you, as well as being able to penetrate certain bullet proof windows!!!

m21man

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2003, 19:44:37 »
i was on some gun clubs website and they were talking about a suppressor that doesnt muffle the sound but dissipates(proper word?) the sound so it is hard to determine where the bullet was fired from

The suppressor on the rifle I was thinking of, the UAA 5100, does make it hard to determine where the shot was fired. And the best thing about the suppressor is it muffles the shot and removes much of the flash when it traps the gas in its internal baffles.

m21man

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2003, 19:46:26 »
Oh, and I think it'd be a good idea to add a feature to unsuppressed .50 rifles that makes your characters ears ring for a few seconds after a shot is fired.

Kilo11

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2003, 05:57:22 »
Umm, you guys.  Silencers don't do shit unless you have sub-sonic rounds.  Now I would love for you to find me a sub-sonic .50 calliber round.  There is a reason there's no such thing as a silenced Berreta Light.  Hell the silencer would explode with the heat of a .50 caliber round going through it.  And it don't even matter considering the person who gets hit with it wont hear anything untill his body is ripped in half.  You could squeeze off two well placed rounds form 1 mile away, take out 2 targets, before they hear a thing.

-=Kilo=-

TrackenHit

« Reply #8 on: 01 Aug 2003, 07:13:27 »
One comment first: When you have a 50 caliber sniper rifle, you don't need to be quiet.

During desert storm an American sniper with a point-five-O stopped two Iraqi armoured vehicles and made its crew and infantry surrender from near the other side of the fucking desert!  Its safe to say that with the range and stopping power, you don't need a damn surpressor, and if your close enough that you do need one, then its recommened you use something alot SMALLER without as much stopping power.

The point-five-o sniper rifle is made for stopping power and range first. Stealth was not part of the production design ;).

FlidMerchant

« Reply #9 on: 05 Aug 2003, 15:01:18 »
There are silenced weapons that fire supersonic bullets and they do do sh*t. The MAC-10 is an example. The silencer muffles the sound of the gun, but not the sounds the bullet makes. So it doesn't stop anyone hearing the shot but it makes it much harder to hear where the shots are coming from.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #10 on: 05 Aug 2003, 16:00:44 »
A good example of a truly suppressed weapon is the integrally-suppressed MP5 (MP5SD5/6). The sound of the firing pin hitting the chambered round is easier to hear than the actual report of the gun.

BTW, is there a difference between a silenced weapon and a suppressed weapon, or are silenced and suppressed different words for the same thing?  ???

Homefry31464

« Reply #11 on: 05 Aug 2003, 19:57:00 »
I think silenced is when you use subsonic rounds, and supressed is just quieting it a little and limiting the muzzle flash.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #12 on: 05 Aug 2003, 19:59:10 »
Aaah. It'd be much simpler if they called them unloudeners, I reckon.

HuNtA

« Reply #13 on: 06 Aug 2003, 12:27:17 »
lol, or maybe hushers ;) or how about a negative sound creator, yes there is such a thing, and it genereates silence.
It takes in the sounds around it and makes a negative sound which sounds just like the sound around U, but its negative so it blocks out the sound around U, but the problem is there about the size of an XXL bergen so I dont think a sniper would use it with their 50.

max_killer_payne

« Reply #14 on: 06 Aug 2003, 12:42:26 »
During desert storm an American sniper with a point-five-O stopped two Iraqi armoured vehicles and made its crew and infantry surrender from near the other side of the f**king desert!  Its safe to say that with the range and stopping power, you don't need a d**n surpressor, and if your close enough that you do need one, then its recommened you use something alot SMALLER without as much stopping power.

lol, I could just imagine some Iraqi infantry with their hands up, looking around, wondering were the hell the sniper is.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2003, 12:47:32 by max_killer_payne »