Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Twilight 2010 mod  (Read 1719 times)

Ball Zack

Twilight 2010 mod
« on: 24 Jul 2003, 05:30:04 »
Here is an idea for a new mod idea.  I call it Twilight 2010.  It is based on the old CPU game Twilight 2000.  The premise of the game was that there was a massive nuclear holocaust that destroys modern civilization.  You play as a soldier trying to surivive in postwar Poland.  The modern super powers have destroyed each other, and their armies which are scattered all over Europe have disbanded.  An evil warloard masses an army be recruiting the disolusioned soldiers that are wandering around Poland.  He then goes on a rampage taking over cities raping and pillaging all the usual badguy stuff.  You begin in an old warehouse in some Polish city with rifles and rockets left over from the war.  you begin to recieve SOS calls from towns that are being attacked by this evil warloard.  You end up hiking your way to a town with your team of soldiers, then you have to defeat the enemy invaders and rescue the towns people.  In return for freeing their village the town mayer supplies you with a HUMMVEE.  When you return to base you relax and clean your weapons until a new town calls for help over the radio.  As you fight the warloard's troops, the towns people reward you with new vehicles and weapons with each town you liberate.  Plus you are able to salvage weapons and ammo stolen from the enemy.  As you fight, the terrain changes from winter to spring, to summer to fall.  The fighting also becomes more intense.  As you travel to liberate towns, you are ambushed by enemy tanks and infantry, and sometimes the towns that you have to liberate are occupied by dug in troops and multiple tanks.  Their are several large cities on the map that have been destroyed by nuclear weapons.  If you try to travel to them, you will find nothing but flattened buildings, and you become sick from radiation poisining, and die when you return to base.  It would be cool to make a mod based on this game, because you would not be simply following orders, but be in charge of your own army.  You could simply use addons that have already been created by other mod teams (with permission of course).  Except you would want to create your own island complete with large cities that have been leveled by nuclear weapons, and use triggers that would make you sick and die if you get too close to them without NBC (Nuclear Biological Chemical) protection.  I imagine a bleak dark enviornment with sick starving people huddling around fires in burnt out buildings.  It would also be cool to create 4 different islands for winter summer fall and spring conditions.  And of course a long exciting campaign that spans all the seasons (winter fall spring summer).  Is this interesting to anyone?
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2003, 05:30:33 by Ball Zack »

Offline ZeekLTK

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Twilight 2010 mod
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2003, 08:35:15 »
This is very interesting. But you might also want to add a third faction, such as resistance soldiers. They could fight the Warlord as well, but some groups you encounter will help you, others will fight you. For example, you might be traveling through some forest and get attacked by resistance soldiers who are currently living there because they think you are invading them, or they possibly believe that you are part of the Warlord's army. But then another time, maybe your hummvee dies down on the road and a group of resistance soldiers come over to see what happened, you tell them that you are heading to (Town Name) to fight the Warlord and they tell you that they'd like to help you. It would add a totally new element to the campaign.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2003, 08:35:40 by ZeekLTK »

bigdog632

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2003, 09:37:00 »
this reminds me of the movie the postman where an evil warlord  or general i guess goes up against a band of disgruntled postal workers in post apocolyptic oregon....i guess

its a kevin costner movie nuff said

Jakerod

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2003, 16:23:49 »
Ya i was thinking about that movie as i read it too.  This is a good idea you should stick with it.

bigdog632

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2003, 02:32:41 »
yeah dont get my post wrong the movie definately had a good idea......but then kevin costner came into it

R.Y.A.N.

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2003, 06:12:30 »
I played Twilight 2000 as a pen and paper RPG. Good premise.

OFP seems to lend itself to that well.

Having a radiation soaked area where you could travel, but you have say, a 25% chance of taking a random hit every X seconds would be interesting. The tree there could be blackened and charred, and the buildings collapsed.

The idea of OFP: Resistance is actually not too much different, but the main difference would be that instead of the Resistance being the thing that motivates the campaign, the Civilians would be the motivation: they run the "world" and could be good guys, bad guys, or indifferent townsfolk depending on the situation. Likewise, if you were a US soldier, not every Soviet you see is a hostile: they could be rivals, who try to accomplish your goals before you but don't actively attack you unless fired upon, or they could be mercenaries who are with or against your group. You'd never know who the bad guys were if the breifings and missions were done just right.

Interesting idea, I like it.

TrackenHit

« Reply #6 on: 01 Aug 2003, 07:07:54 »
This is a fantastic idea. Defently get ahold of me if anyone wants to work on this at all.
The idea of a post radiated world with warlords sacking each other for food and supplies is good, because OFP can rebuild that atmosphere of personal armies feuding each other without having to realistically think of that in real life an Air Craft carrier would just bomb them from hundreds of miles away., because there would be no super powers left, no super carriers, no fleets of ships left from a war. All that would be left is infantry, very few aircrafts, tons of armoured vehicles, and warlords trying to ban togehter to give any followers a fighting chance at suvival.

I'd defently like to work on a misison built around this.

Homefry31464

« Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2003, 02:41:11 »
What addons would fit i this type of mission?

Ball Zack

« Reply #8 on: 03 Aug 2003, 09:17:42 »
First off, if you guys want to get together and make this idea fly, then go ahead.  I have neither the time nor the knowledge to start my own OFP mod.  All that I ask is that you listen to any advise that I have to give you.  Also I think that there are plenty of addons that other people have made already that would be ideal for this mod.  All you need to do is get permission from the creators to use their addons.  You would need to keep it simple of course.  You don't want to have to many useless addons.  For example you could use the HK pack which includes a ton of usefull weapons such as the OICW which will enter service with US forces here pretty soon.  You could also include Kegetys Russian weapon pack which includes the classic RPG-7 and scoped versions of the AK series rifles.  Also a few armoured vehicles that have already been created such as the BMP-3 (made by VIT), and the T-80 + T-72 packs that were created by the Operation Northstar mod.  You could even include the DKM Commanche Havok and Bronco for airborne missions.  As far as addons that would need to be created from scratch, you would need to create the new post nuclear war civillians.  I image them as being dirty starving people with ragged clothing and no shoes etc.  You would also need to create a new island for this mod.  Actually I suggest that you create winter, summer/spring, and fall versions of the island.  You would also need to create new objects for this island.  Things like burnt out buildings, city ruins, and assorted skeletons and skulls.  I imagine the island would look somewhat like Kulgugev with its destroyed villages, only on a much larger scale.  Also if you are looking for another inspiration, go play the game Fallout.  It is another good post nuclear war game that could provide some interesting influence.

Qapla74656

« Reply #9 on: 03 Aug 2003, 13:02:16 »
I seem to recall that fuel for vehicles was always in short supply if Twilight 2000 was played properly.

Ball Zack

« Reply #10 on: 03 Aug 2003, 21:24:49 »
Yes lack of fuel and ammunition would be a good way of forcing the player to use different vehicles in each mission in order to make it more interesting.  Otherwise the player may just fly a helicopter in every mission once he has aquired one.  Another idea would be to make certain vehicles break down forcing the player to go on parts scavenging missions.  So for example lets say that the player performs a mission, and is rewarded with a crashed apache left over from the war.  He would then need to perform new missions to aquire parts, ammunition, and fuel before he could use his new "toy".  Once he begins using it in battle he would eventually run out of ammunition, and would need to use the armoured vehicles in his inventory to perform the next series of missions until he finds new Hellfire missiles to rearm his chopper.