Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Grand MP mission, or just crap crap crap?  (Read 1331 times)

Phantom

Grand MP mission, or just crap crap crap?
« on: 13 Jul 2003, 16:33:35 »
I'm workin on my first MP mission. Just thought I'd put it in here to let u guys know and to see what you think!
It's your standard Team Death Match game. Respawn's, Vehicles, Ammo, etc. etc.
But the island, and a multiple base factor are what I think will give it an advantage over other more basic games. Even though this is still pretty basic, I'm hoping that it will give online games more longevity. Because at the moment I see people getting bored too damn quickly.

Anyway, here's the deal. The only addons you need at this point, are Meekong Island, and SEB's NamPack2. This has to be the best island I've found in flaspoint to date, even though it's not finished, so kudo's to wolf! As usual, there are small and large bases, pro's and con's come with each. A large base can fit more in it, trucks, APC's, choppers, etc. etc. But it is easier to find, there's less room to hide, and more space to defend. It's vice versa for each of these problems with a small and large base respectively. So I'm going to put at least an APC and ammo at each base, and the more I put there will depend on how big it is. Hopefully I can put an un-armed chopper on each base and a PBR in addition to these things. Some bases will have multiple choppers, so these would obviously be a much more highly prized possession, and therefore, more likely to be held. The idea of having the chopper and the PBR and the vehicles, isn't just for transport, it's main purpose is that you can hide a few of these things in-case your base is destroyed, and you can move to another, or, you can just spread your forces over the bases you you have a wider area of operations, plus you can use it to replenish ammo and that, of course, the bases will have vehicle respawns, but not straight away, maybe every 10-15 minutes.

Anyway, now that you've seen my idea, what do u think?

bigdog632

Re:Grand MP mission, or just crap crap crap?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2003, 22:58:02 »
sounds more like a capture and hold than a TDM

of the battlefield variety

they are always fun

Phantom

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2003, 00:34:23 »
in a way it is, except your only holding territory, not some wanky flag, which probably makes it more realistic

bigdog632

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2003, 04:36:08 »
the mission i liked was the C&H that took city areas you took like the east end west end north end and central and so on and had to hold them all

listening to the limited wars ive been alive through that was the way it was

they cap parts of the town .....they didnt roll in and cap the whole thing.....usually

aazell

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2003, 16:50:27 »
Cool!

It's always better to give the player's more than one thing to think about. Keep em moving around and it makes the action that much more exciting.

I'm betting most players will be knackered out but the time they finish a game of this.

It's also best to give the players just a little more defending obligations than they can handle. That way they'll be in a constant state of panic.

and panic is OFP's crowning acheivement. The fog of war and all that.

Can't wait for this.

Phantom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2003, 17:13:46 »
my objective is to give them vehicles that can be used to defend them, but to always leave them just short. the only vehicle with a weapon is teh m113's, and the two boats the people have, however, i'm not sure whether to give them on or two boats.

aazell

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2003, 18:06:41 »
I havn't actually seen that map so It's hard to envision the boat situation but are their rivers?

Can there be rivers?

I havn't looked at the island editor yet cos it sounds scary.

The trouble with boats is that they move slowly and they havn't got wheels. Your mission would have to be all on the beach for the boats to be of any use.

However saying that I can't remember a decent mission that made use of a good boat journey.

Or action from boat to shore. Gunning down the enemy from the waves. That's pretty cool.

Anyway back to my original question. Are their rivers?

Phantom

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2003, 19:44:50 »
sure are. that's why i've got them, i'm pretty sure that the name meekong comes from the meekong delta, a mass of rivers and inlets in vietnam. but the boats are really there as a last resort if your trucks, jeep and m113 and chopper are all gone.

the idea is that as much work as possible is done by the actual player, all choppers have 0 ammo, except for 2 OH-6's which are placed very far apart. the idea is that you've got to think constantly, the choppers are there to transport you and your men, as they have no ammo, this means that you've gotta have a good pilot. also, i've decided that none of the vehicles will respawn, as the reason i put many bases in in the first place is that it would mean you'd exhaust the resources and move on, or scout a location to hide things for when you need them, or fly around, taking the choppers from the bases, and flying them home to make bigger ones. so that way, there's loads of possibilities and your not limited to the base set out that i've given you at the start. also, it's not west vs. west coz i can't be arsed doing the code for it, plus it would look a bit stupid and would be easy to infiltrate the enemy base.

i've put down all vehicles, and all men. the majority of the bases are empty, with little resources there. the only thing consistant is the ammo and weaponry at all bases. but this is where my real problem is. if your nva, and your using an M60, an M16A1 and a CAR-15, would that bother you? Because I don't know a way around this problem, what i've got at the moment is the US start with their usual weaponry, and so do the NVA, but all the ammo and wep's are US, do you think this would bother you in-game?

My other major problem is that with many bases, there's the high chance that you've moved because you've had a base anhialated (spelling), if you respawn, you could respawn 3000m away from the rest of your guys, or one of your bases, and might be respawning in enemy controlled territory. I need a way that you can respawn with your team leader, but then, this is a problem if u're leader goes down, so can anyone think of a solution.

the last problem, which is a medium level one is fairness, the bases need to be fair, and so does tha overall layout, so i'm going to put manpower, number of bases, and the number of vehicles in the map, and we can all have a chin-wag about it!

N.B. The only addons needed are Meekong Island and SEBNamPack2

U.S.
Army Rifle Squad - 8
Army Weapons Squad - 8
Special Forces Recon Team - 5
Special Forces Recon Team- 5
Marine Corps Sniper - 2
TOTAL - 26

N.V.A.
NVA Infantry Squad - 9
NVA Heavy Weapons Squad - 9
NVA Recon Squad - 4