Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hi i need help  (Read 2283 times)

Dark-Scythe

Hi i need help
« on: 12 Jul 2003, 16:32:29 »
hi i know this sounds newbie ish but i bought the first version of ofp and i downloaded loads of stuff for it, now i am in the army in germany and the gaming cafe i go to let me do wat i want coz i am a regular lol, i was wondering if sum 1 knows a download wer u download all the missions and add ons, becasue i remember that u could do that, but can u not mkae it a zip file becoz the pc is in german and its hard to unzip it, i dont know if ne 1 can help but its worth me asking    

cheers

Phantom

Re:Hi i need help
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2003, 19:28:49 »
crazy boy, speak english

_hammy_

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2003, 07:01:15 »
u can download missions at the missions depot of this site, and u can get addons at ofp.info and the addons depot of this site.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2003, 07:35:41 »
*AHEM!*

Corrects HAMMY with a slap upside the head...

"u can download missions at the missions depot of this site,"
Very good, top marks!

"and u can get addons at ofp.info and the addons depot of this site."
No no no! Only refer them to ofp.info as a last option, not a first!

;D ::) ;D
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Phantom

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2003, 12:14:11 »
i don't mean to start a row with anyone on the staff here at the OFPEC, but I've gotta say, the addons at ofp.info are second to none as far as I have found, the OFPEC seem to hardly have any new material these days

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2003, 12:16:20 »
ban im (J/K)

no1 says dat nythin is beter dan OFPEC - not erven playing OFP :P ;)

its agains da lawz of da forums  :o

the OFPEC seem to hardly have any new material these days

OFP.info host everythin (nd put all da newz nd etc) OFPEC tries 2 guarntee dat wat we host is da best (or at least not v. buggy ::)) ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2003, 12:31:36 »
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=10454
See this thread and you'll notice that the Addons Depot has been pretty much completely reworked. This caused a downtime for who knows how long.

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=10325;start=0
See this thread and you'll notice that the addons depot is in the need for staff. Reviewers in more particular. Addons reviewing isn't a fast job these days when you've got shitloads of stuff to check with each addon. There's a long list of things to check for the reviewers in the staff boards.

Then you've got the fact what LCD there already stated; we don't offer you crappy / buggy addons.

Put these all together and yes, you can say that we don't have as much new addons as ofp.info does.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2003, 12:32:08 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2003, 13:07:53 »
Also, www.ofp.info has heaps of beta and even alpha-stage addons, things that might not/will not work and are of a generally lower quality than 1.0 released addons.

At OFPEC you are guaranteed that the addons are the release version, that is 1.0 and up. Also, to my knowledge, there is no quality control at www.ofp.info. They get an addon and they put it up.
At OFPEC each addon is reviewed and tested for compliance with the OFPEC standards, and the Addons At Ease standards if it should be such an addon.

If I had my way, all addon-sites would operate along the same guidelines as the OFPEC addons depot.
I'd rather wait a few more weeks for my addon and be 100% sure they kick ass, than get everything on the minute and find out that more than half doesn't work or is just crappy quality.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Phantom

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2003, 13:33:19 »
to each his own i guess. i've downloaded a few things that OFPEC having rated quite highly, just to find that I thought they were terrible, mainly mission scores, but like i said before, it's just a person's opinion. I now don't really pay attention to scores, and just see what the addon/mission is and download it on those merits, quality control is good, but it seems that other sites have addons up for a few weeks, possibly a month before it appears on the OFPEC and that must effect the amount of people that visit your website. I think that quality control can only go so far, all I think people want to know is, what is it, does it work, and that's it.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2003, 13:43:41 »
Missions are quite a bit different than addons you know.
An addon can do you over pretty good, like crashing your game and/or computer. If it's tested, you know it won't do that unless you do something unbelievably stupid (like placing one million of them on the map).
But if it's untested, and possibly a beta or an addon that is not supposed to be released, you don't know, you might think and/or hope, but you don't know it won't do you over.

And I was under the impression that all submitted missions/addons end up in a "pending" list, and you can get them off of there, unreviewed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Phantom

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2003, 15:50:53 »
don't be mistaken, I understand why you do it the way you do, I just don't agree all the way, and I didn't know there was a pending for addons, but i'll check it out soon

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2003, 21:32:57 »
i don't mean to start a row with anyone on the staff here at the OFPEC, but I've gotta say, the addons at ofp.info are second to none as far as I have found, the OFPEC seem to hardly have any new material these days

No worries, Phantom.

I was actually just messing around with HAMMY, but I see a healthy discussion came out of it, so its all good. :)

As for the discussion itself, nothing from me as KTottE and Artak covered the relevant points nicely. :thumbsup:

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2003, 21:59:12 »
has anyone looked at the DATES of some of the posts in this thread  ??? ::)

[mod]

* jeswuss kaiztt, I could of sworn.... *

::) yanno, for a second there, I thought this was 2004 ! I gotta stop drinking soon...

[/mod]

;D

« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2003, 22:04:10 by Tomb »

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2003, 01:28:27 »
Tomb?! Not drunk?!

* shudder *

If he's sober, he might start posting coherently!

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2003, 02:19:34 »
I'd like to step in to the discussion about addons. I don't think you can compare ofp.info with our addons depot. Ofp.info "just" hosts them while we send them through a review process before we decide to host it. I don't want to say that one system is better than the other one, because they're simply different. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages.

When you submit your addons to the addons depot, they will be reviewed. This review includes a test of the addon for compliance with the OFPEC tagging regulations. You should consider that the tagging system is not a secret masterplan of OFPEC to annoy the addon community. None of our regulations is without a purpose. If you follow all of them, you can be absolutely sure that your addon will not cause a conflict with any other compliant addon whatsoever. The benefit of this system is so obvious that it has been officially adopted by BIS in their AAE standard.

The reason that ofp.info may have more addons than we (a claim you could argue about) is that unfortunately many of the submissions don't pass our compliance check. It's not that we like to reject submissions, but we believe that addons must meet certain quality standards.

Try to look it at that way: We invest a lot of time and manpower to review your addons. This is our special (and completely free) service to the users and the creators of addons. The users benefit because they know that an addon they download from our site will not cause any conflict with other addons that are compliant to the OFPEC tag system. The addon creators also benefit from this system. If you download tagged addons from other sites, the only thing you can be sure of is that the creator claims it to be tag compliant. If you download it from the addons depot, you know that it's compliant. This is our way of helping the addon maker to be trusted by the OFP community.

Don't get me wrong, the least thing I want to do is to disencourage you from submitting addons. Au contraire! We don't reject addons right away. We will inform the author about all issues and give him the chance to update his submission (if we can - unfortunately there are submissions that have fake e-mail addresses provided with them). Look at it as our contribution to the quality of your addon. An addon that is updated to our tagging standards will always be better than the initial submission. So, if you submit it to our addon depot, the result can only be an improved addon. Can ofp.info offer this service to you?

And at the OFPEC you can get an impression about the addon by reading the review before you download it. Sure, you can argue about scores. But I don't think you can say that a review isn't helpful at all.

I know that there has been a little backlog with reviews recently but we're working hard to improve this situation. Our reviewers all have real life commitments and sometimes we also have to wait for an updated version of the addon. A review naturally takes time, but rest assured that we'll do what we can to speed up the whole process as much as possible.

At the end we still think that the advantages of our system outweight it's disadvantages by far. I'm confident that (although it may not look like that at the moment), the addons depot has a great future ahead of it.