Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SAS  (Read 5254 times)

registered_fugitiv

Re:SAS
« Reply #45 on: 26 Jul 2003, 08:19:56 »
I think he meant British Standard weaponry E.G SA80 although on occasion the SAS do use them

@Rob_SAS
I think we at the Who Dares Wins mod are going to do the different troops at some time 8)

Mr_Shady

« Reply #46 on: 26 Jul 2003, 13:25:59 »
Quote:Not unless anyone knows of any pictures of them, besides their mention in Bravo Two Zero I've never seen any pics or mention of them.  

umm............the storming of the iranian embassy in london.
heres some history of their known involvment in major battles/ and the places they worked in
North-African Desert 1941-1943
Malaya
Borneo
Mirbat (Oman)
Falklands
Counter Terrorist (CRW)
Embassy raid
Gulfwar
Peterhead Prison
Gibraltar
Ethiopia
Gambia
Afghanistan
Bosnia/Kosovo
South America
Zaire
Afghan Airline Hijacking
Albania
ANd, uh......yeah thats the whole IDEA of the SAS they are very secretive

You got the wrong end of the stick mate. Lilty was talking about SAS Dinkie Land Rovers (ie. stripped down Land Rover Defender 90's with guns attached).

What I think people forget about the SAS is that they're primarily an intelligence gathering organisation. In the Falklands, they spent more time sat in hides watching the Argentine forces than engaging them (but they made up for it with the Pebble Island airfield raid, where the Argies guarding it thought they'd been attacked by a battallion of troops with all the noise and chaos.
Also, people think that they worked in France, Italy, and Germany from 1944 onwards, where they worked with resistance fighters and harrassed the enemy to draw valuable assets away from the front.

I think it's a bit of a waste of time to try and list all the guns that they use too. I've been reading SAS books since I was about eight, and anything about them on the telly I'll watch (apart from that awful film "Who Dares Wins." What a load of horsecrap!), but I'd have trouble with listing weapons that they use outside of the basics such as 203 (although they reportedly prefer the Diemaco over the "proper" Colt versions), Minimis, GPMGs, MP5s for CQB, Browning HPs and Sig Sauer P226s as sidearms. I know that they liked to use the G3 and SLR (license-built FN FAL) in desert combat since they're very reliable and have good long-range stopping power, which is what you need in the desert. Also, I read that they used the HK53 (MP5 rechambered to fire the 5.56mm NATO round) in Northern Island for shooting from inside cars until they deemed the 5.56mm round too weak to stop other cars and went on to using a batch of "liberated" folding stock FALs they brought home from the Falklands until they got their hands on some G3Ks (retractable stock G3). Also, in situations where they need to blend in with regular British soldiers, they've been known to carry an SA80 (interestingly, they tested it in the jungle before the rest of the army got their hands on them, and they said that they were unreliable crap. A few months later, the rest of the army was issued with the SA80  ::)). Also, I've seen a few pictures in SAS books of guys carrying what look like G33/41s (not sure which is the correct designation as the G41 was a WWII rifle, but the modern HK one is a G3 rechambered for 5.56mm).

Of course, OFP won't let us make the best weapon an SAS man can have- his fighting dagger  :(

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #47 on: 26 Jul 2003, 13:48:37 »
ok...here goes......my knowledge of SAS weaponry and uses

HK MP5-SD3/SFA2

MP5-SD3 - variant of the standard MP5 equipped with a silencer and retractable stock
MP5-SFA2 - Solid stock MP5 - no silencer
MP5-A3 - Basic MP5 usually equipped with torch used a lot by SWAT
All of the above used in stealth, Night-time and indoor missions

Combat shotgun, nothing too fancy
^used solely in indoor missions/combat

M-16 - usually equipped with environmental scope (i.e normal day time nighttime IR)- used in outdoor missions where stealth is impossible

ill add more as i remember it lol
pics of the mp5's included d/l the zip
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and also the SAS are highly trained in the art of stealing the dead guys weapon, and being very efficient at it

Quote:Not unless anyone knows of any pictures of them, besides their mention in Bravo Two Zero I've never seen any pics or mention of them.  

umm............the storming of the iranian embassy in london.
heres some history of their known involvment in major battles/ and the places they worked in
North-African Desert 1941-1943
Malaya
Borneo
Mirbat (Oman)
Falklands
Counter Terrorist (CRW)
Embassy raid
Gulfwar
Peterhead Prison
Gibraltar
Ethiopia
Gambia
Afghanistan
Bosnia/Kosovo
South America
Zaire
Afghan Airline Hijacking
Albania
ANd, uh......yeah thats the whole IDEA of the SAS they are very secretive

Quote:they should b split up into there differnt sections boat, mobilty, air and mountain
the different sections are as follow
AIR TROOP
BOAT TROOP
MOBILITY TROOP
MOUNTAIN TROOP
URBAN TROOP

every squad rotates and goes through training every so often and so they are fully competent at all functions
CAMOFLAUGE
wooded area's - Standard EuroWoodland Cammo
Urban - Black, plain and simple
Mountains - Euro Snow cammo
desert - euro desert camo

once again ill update when i remember more stuff

you also happened to miss out one of their most significant operations in recent history, which was Operation BARRAS in Seira Leone....

and really lads... all this armchair expert crap... i don't think there is anyone here who knows anything for sure about the SAS... for the Project UK Forces team, i've done a shed load of investigation into their SOP's and weapon load outs... but there is no way any of you can say 'they use xxxx weapon'.

in short they use what they want, when they want if they deem it the best weapon for the operation... simple hey? they used the AK74 in afghanistan to blend in with their northern alliance counterparts and in NI they used the SA80 to work alongside the Paras.

i think this thread is really starting to move away from the conceptual idea of the SAS, to what they do, where they do it. All other SAS threads go the same way. In truth, none of you know what u r really talking about 100%.... neither do i, and all i do is use my best judgement in the PUKF missions.

lets maybe keep away from their history and armaments, and get back to what you would like to see in an SAS addon, what units and what interesting features...

:thumbsup:
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #48 on: 26 Jul 2003, 13:50:01 »
I think he meant British Standard weaponry E.G SA80 although on occasion the SAS do use them

@Rob_SAS
I think we at the Who Dares Wins mod are going to do the different troops at some time 8)

so will Project UK Forces  :)

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #49 on: 26 Jul 2003, 14:06:50 »
Is that a challange :P  ;)

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jul 2003, 14:16:50 »
prehaps  ;)

Mr_Shady

« Reply #51 on: 26 Jul 2003, 15:01:10 »
I read in the BAS thread that their Desert Pack vehicles will have random kit attached to them (via hidden selections). Is this possible for soldiers? It'd be great if we could get multiple variations of the basic SAS soldier, eg. in a squad of them, you'd get one with a wooly hat on, one with a floppy hat, one with a cut down floppy hat, one with rolled up sleeves, one with different boots, various variations on the webbing and beltkit, some guys wearing different smocks(the cool Rhodesian DPM smocks, for instance) etc. etc.

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #52 on: 26 Jul 2003, 15:11:39 »
Yes it is possible with units. A very good example of this is Invasion 1944's units they use one model for each group that they have made
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2003, 15:12:57 by registered_fugitiv »

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #53 on: 26 Jul 2003, 15:31:15 »
indeed.... we have some veeeeeeeeeeeery interesting additions to our infantry units coming up... as for the SAS.... i'll tell you no secrets and i'll tell you no lies  ;)

Mr_Shady

« Reply #54 on: 26 Jul 2003, 16:41:28 »
I always thought that saying was "If you don't me ask questions, I'll won't tell you lies." Meh.

I think I have an inkling what these "interesting additions" are  ;)

... okay, so maybe I don't. Ach, I'm not very good at that "mysterious" thing.

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #55 on: 27 Jul 2003, 01:41:55 »
Of course, OFP won't let us make the best weapon an SAS man can have- his fighting dagger

hmm maybe not......but if you remember the drill adon at ATWAR that damaged people only when it touched them didnt it, maybe a model could be used and have similar effects

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #56 on: 27 Jul 2003, 01:47:53 »
yea it is possible but it dosnt look or work right with the current game engine

PathFinder

« Reply #57 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:00:03 »
Hey, just asking whether or not the SAS will have bergens? and if they do will they be detachable and attachable.

cya

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #58 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:45:02 »
Our's will have bergens that will be removable through the action menu 8)

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #59 on: 27 Jul 2003, 13:15:56 »
and ours are removable as weapons  ;)