Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: new tool txt2ase  (Read 860 times)

new tool txt2ase
« on: 07 Jul 2003, 20:18:20 »
For anyone who has not managed to import old wrp-files to visitor or wants to import other text-heightfield-files (like from wilbur): i just finished my new tool that converts wrpedit text exports and other text files to the ascii-heightfield mesh format which visitor can import.

as just submitted it you can find it on ofpec under the pending ressources
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2003, 20:23:48 by 667 »

Offline Maatz

• Members
  • What are you lookin' at?
Re:new tool txt2ase
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2003, 13:48:56 »
does that tool cost something? because in the upper part there is a kind of "price" per minute, or am i wrong?

Maatz

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2003, 18:07:32 »
 ;DNo it does cost nothing. unfortunately when i took the screenshot i was connected to the internet and i have set up my dialup-connection program to display the price in the window title.

as you can see it displays it not only in ie or netscape but in every window that has the focus ;)
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2003, 18:18:19 by 667 »

MadAussie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2003, 13:05:08 »
Gday guys..
All seems well to me.. but to make this great would it possible to allow for importation back into WRPedit after VISITOR.. that way you could use both programs for their advantages at will with one island.. Just a thought
MadAussie out..

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2003, 15:01:40 »
At the moment iÂ'm a bit busy with real life tasks. the next thing i wanted to add to the prog would have been import of bigger sized txt-files like 512*512 and so on.

for import from visitor to wrpedit you could try to export your island with visitor, then binarize it and you should then be able to open the island with wrpedit.

junkie-xL

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2003, 12:23:54 »
Has anyone tested this?
I have tried this new tool with different (small and large) wrp files. The conversion  process from txt to ase always seems to hang on "closing file".  ???

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2003, 20:10:56 »
if you mean, that the message "file succesfully converted" does not come up, but you have got a file called <yourfilename>.ase then it doesn't hang at all.
sorry for that but the message simply got lost during development.
in other words if you see "closing file" all is perfect.

at the moment it can only convert 256*256 text files which: > have either xyz triples where z is elevation or single entry for elevation only. > use . or , as decimal separator > have two number behind the separator (e.g. 10,25 or 200.98)

support for bigger files (512*512, 1024*1024) is planned to be added later but at the moment i'm very busy with real life so it may take a while.

having imported your ase to visitor you may want to switch to elevation color/gray scale view as it default to textures view and with no textures beeing there at this point you wont see the terrain.

if visitor echos something like "no sufficient terrain data in file" it is that all the elevations in the text file are 0,00 ( happened to me with wilbur sometimes, has nothing to do with txt2ase).

if you encounter other errors or problems please write me an e-mail with precise and verbose description:
drbrutalo@freenet.de

edit: to point it out here explicitly as it is a little short in the help screen: wrpedit exports only the heightfield in those text files, all objects and textures are disposed.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2003, 20:16:12 by 667 »