Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Need help please: Hunter-Killer custom mission by Phoenix  (Read 1473 times)

M.Hofbauer

I tried to email the author directly but the email address given for contact in the readme (<flashpointpheonix@hotmail.com>) keeps failing.

So I turn to this community with my quest.

I downloaded the custom mission "Hunter Killer" from this site.
I love to fly the little Kiowa helicopter,  so this mission was right up my alley. I was very happy when I found that mission available for DL, it soundede like quite a bit of fun.

However, I have a problem with that mission. The mission/briefing says I have to conduct armed reconnaisance in that western sector, and I should avoid the eastern sector (enemy occupied).

So I start out and do that.  All I can find is two camps and one patrol in my assigned recon sector. I destroy them, repeatedly, I even land and get out, picking up hand grenades and destryoing everything to make sure no tent or campfire is left.

I search and search but there is no other enemy anwhere in that assigned patrol sector. The assigned task remains un-checked (unfinished) in the map/briefing screen.

I return to base, repeatedly, to rearm/refuel. I go to the officer there. Nothing.
Nothing at all. Nothing is triggered, and the task does not get checked.

The other Kiowa has long landed and the pilot is standing there at the desk with the CO.

I searched the assigned sector over and over again, I am sure there is noone left there. So, I cannot go on with or end that mission.

I think I am going crazy. I keep loitering over that sector, I slowly crawl around the surface at a speed of 50 and a height of 10 to make sure I am not missing anything.

This is very frustrating. Something in that mission is broke. I don't get it.

I am running OpFp in Ver. 1.30, and play in veteran mode. Computer is a 1.8
GHz Athlon with 256mb Ram and all that. OpFp usually runs fine.

Please help!

Any input appreciated,

sincerely
M.Hofbauer

deaddog

Re:Need help please: Hunter-Killer custom mission by Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 2003, 02:28:26 »
I've played this mission as well.  There is nothing wrong with it :)  The third camp is in the middle of a large forest, not near the edge like the other two.  I don't have the mission on my computer anymore, so I can't tell you exactly where it is.  But trust me, it's there.  ;)  I found it the first time because I got shot down by a Strela.

M.Hofbauer

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2003, 12:21:16 »
Thanks deaddog, but unfortunately I still don't get nowhere.

Alright, let's see, there are three camps, the one western camp with the 50cal emplacement, the middle one where the road runs between two woods, and that one in the middle of the woods. Plus there is this 8-man patrol.

Killed every single one of them, to no avail. What else am I missing? ??? :(

deaddog

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul 2003, 14:53:19 »
I'm reasonably sure there are least two patrols.  I'll download it and play it again. It was a pretty decent mission.  But it would have been better to make use of the laser designator for mark the targets.

M.Hofbauer

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2003, 21:03:40 »
I'm reasonably sure there are least two patrols.  I'll download it and play it again. It was a pretty decent mission.  But it would have been better to make use of the laser designator for mark the targets.

The second patrol in the northern part of the assigned sector is a friendly squad.

But I got it working now. Don't ask me how / why it worked now.

I had the mission saved after destroying the three camps and one patrol.

Now that I loaded up the savegame for the n-th time it suddenly said complete and told me to fly to base. Somehow that "complete" never triggered in the previous instances. Also, later in the mission, it once failed to trigger the mission complete upon landing on the heliport "H". So I had to take off again and land again and then it triggered.

Weird.

But the mission was ok.

Would love to see some Campaign where one is a Scout or Blackhawk transport helicopter pilot, doing small-scale reconnaissance, liasion, MedEvac, troop insertion etc. Unfortunately I myself am too dumb to make such a mission/Operation, I can't figure out how to get troops to wait for and board a foreign-controlled vehicle (such as a transport helicopter) on one waypoint and disembark at another waypoint.

Thanks deaddog for the hint about the third camp, and thanks Phoenix for that entertaining mission!

Anmac

« Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 2003, 05:56:02 »
It's hard to remember that far back, but try updating to version 1.46 of OFP.

From memory I had the same trouble and pasted it to somebody else to try rather that delete it.

With all the version changes it's hard to tell what's a version bug and what's poor editing without pulling it apart.

But we do like to pull 'em apart.

;)

deaddog

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2003, 00:00:13 »
The second patrol in the northern part of the assigned sector is a friendly squad.

I played it again and there are two patrols.  When you spot one, the friendly squad will come to investigate and attack.  Or you can pepper them with rockets.  Either way, the friendly squad will show up at some point.  That may be why you saw one.  The friendly squad may have already killed one of the patrols.

The mission doesn't end there, although it does say mission complete.  Fly back to base and a cutscene starts.  After that, a new set of objectives appear.

I have yet to finish the game.  After attacking an enemy squad near Provins, my chopper always has a turbine failure.  I eventually walk back to base but can't get the game to end, even though I get a hint telling me to return to base.

I'll keep trying, though.

M.Hofbauer

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2003, 16:21:19 »
Maybe I should clarify: I *did* get it to work, and played the whole mission after it worked.

I played it again and there are two patrols.  When you spot one, the friendly squad will come to investigate and attack.  Or you can pepper them with rockets.  Either way, the friendly squad will show up at some point.  That may be why you saw one.  The friendly squad may have already killed one of the patrols.

oh, okay. I had only one enemy patrol. Like I said, the problem was that it simply didn't trigger the "objective accomplished" until one new reload it simply did.  ???

The mission doesn't end there, although it does say mission complete.  Fly back to base and a cutscene starts.  After that, a new set of objectives appear.

yes, maybe I wasn't clear in my post, that's what happened. Actually, the rest fo the mission is rather easy and also very enjoyable.

I have yet to finish the game.  After attacking an enemy squad near Provins, my chopper always has a turbine failure.  I eventually walk back to base but can't get the game to end, even though I get a hint telling me to return to base.

I am pretty certain that the chopper is not supposed to fail. There must be a bug or something for you.

Because it is pretty apparent that you are meant to perform the entire mission with (inside) your Kiowa. If you keep crashing to no apparent cause then I am sure that is an unintended bug of some sort.