Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Decent security levels  (Read 2000 times)

Black Fox

Decent security levels
« on: 01 Jul 2003, 04:21:05 »
I am working on a mission where the Resistance has to steal a V-80 from the Russians and use it to nail about twelve tanks that are moving from Petrovice to Velka Ves- and if one of them makes it, the mission is failed.

The mechanics of the mission are fine, and it's challenging to take out all of the tanks in time, but I'm having a hard time working out exactly how well-defended the V-80 would be. At the moment it's tucked to one side of Neveklov, which is obviously held by the Russians and fairly lightly defended- 4 M2 machine gun nests, a six-man patrol and a twelve-man patrol doing the rounds along the road from Neveklov to the bridge.

Clearly the Resistance needs to steal this chopper pretty bad, so I'm thinking that they'll put in their best resources for the mission, but obviously the Russians can't afford to just let the Resistance waltz in and nick some of their best fighting equipment. What is the best balance for this mission?

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
Re:Decent security levels
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2003, 04:30:27 »
1-4 resi soldiers (deres only 1 seat in da V80 - nd i think it shud b stealthy mision  mebe ;D)

1-2 truck w/ reinforcments 4 da russians - or mebe a MI17 da puts paratropes (nd mebe even make da player shot him down b4 he enters da V80 - so da hip wont shot him b4 he flies)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Black Fox

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2003, 04:43:31 »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention- trip the alarm and two trucks full of Russian grunts drive up from Davle and open a can of whoopass on you.
Maybe I just need to tweak the behaviour of the Russian infantry- make them a little more suspicious and a bit sharper. The trouble with that is that the mission is supposed to take place a long way from the front lines- the Resistance is supposed to be taking them by surprise and using their very best gear to get the job done.

Would a Shilka or two be a) Likely, given that it's well behind the front lines or b) Overkill?

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2003, 04:56:33 »
1 shilka ill say -- but it goes 2 da situation - if da russians dont think da enemy got ny Air force - den it wil b unlikly 2 b dere (but its not dat rare) if dey do have shilkas shud b nywere - as u can never know were da resi wil strike ;)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

deaddog

« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2003, 04:58:02 »
I think at least one shilka or maybe one or two AA soldiers.  Air defense is necessary everywhere, not just the front lines.  You might have the player have to put a satchel charge on the shilka and then blow it up right before stealing the v80.  Blow it up too early and you can have a patrol come running in to try to catch the guy who did it.

You might want to consider replacing the standard M2 MGs with this addon:
http://www.ofpec.com/addons_depot/index.php?ID=58

If you don't know about this one, it is a very common addon that "tweaks" the M2 to allow it to shoot at airplanes.  It also sounds cool.

Black Fox

« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2003, 05:48:17 »
Nice one, that should make all the difference. I might delay the departure of the tanks to compensate for the time required to nail the Shilka(s)- otherwise the tanks will be rolling by before I can capture the V-80.
Though I might let the first wave come in early, just to increase the stress a bit.

Thanks for your input.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jul 2003, 01:00:12 »
from another view point... the reasons for one man missions, are because no1 expects a stealth raid.... a outpost that is defended against a heavy assult is very much full of holes when it comes to spec ops... so the russians would be expecting a full onslaught of their airbase... i reckon it would be defended heavily, but not the V-80's themselves, the actually area... one inside the compound, the player should find it fairly easy to get to te V-80's... its getting into the compound that u have to make the challenge..

my 2 cents
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Homefry31464

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2003, 01:14:27 »
Who are the Russians against, another country or just the resistance fighters?  That seems like the right number of people, especially if it is a Russian base in war-time.

max_killer_payne

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2003, 23:18:46 »
I say you shouldnt make stealing the chopper to hard, only enough enemys that they can lay enough fire down so that the player will have to re-think every move they make, but once the player has stolen the chopper then a trigger goes off, making the alarm go and using the globalchat command an Eastern radio message is intercepted and then a coupla choppers are scrambled to take you out, and if you manage to destroy those choppers you could use not (alive hind1) then an Su25 is launched to put a stop to your joy ride, you could then use an event handler to detect if the player is locked and give a warning so the player can take evasive action.

FlidMerchant

« Reply #9 on: 07 Aug 2003, 23:46:16 »
I don't think Shilkas would be likely, considering the resistance has no air force to speak of. Maybe some guys with 9k32 launchers or 14.5mm AA machine guns though.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #10 on: 08 Aug 2003, 02:55:19 »
For security I'd put guys standing but standing near vehicles.  Tanks don't normally move around unless someone has already been detected.  I'd put armed guards near every entrance.  I'd use some walls and some towers for guards up high.  I'd use the barracks addon too.  
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2003, 02:56:28 by BronzeEagle »