Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Sinking ships  (Read 1383 times)

Black Fox

Sinking ships
« on: 24 Jun 2003, 03:20:40 »
I was thinking about making a mission where you, as a helicopter or fighter pilot, have to sink an LST (or a couple of LST's, even) before it launches a bunch of landing ships. (Definitely inspired by visiting the Falklands mod website.)

However, I gather that the LST is pretty much indestructible and very hard to manage, even with the steering script. Any suggestions on whether or not this would be worth trying? Has anybody tried anything similar before?

Captain Winters

Re:Sinking ships
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2003, 03:43:19 »
Sounds like fun, and I've tried it before- never killed one of em. Theyre industrcitble...

Tanks! 8)

Black Fox

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2003, 04:10:09 »
It takes 54 satchel charges to sink the LST, apparently. I'm thinking that a wing of A-10's or a whopping great flock of Apaches should do the trick, though.

Any suggestions on how to make the landing craft launching look realistic? And is the LST as hard to control as it sounds?

I want to make the mission along the lines of "sink the LST before it reaches air cover and launches its landing ships".

rancor_man67

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2003, 14:38:26 »

Use the Mi-17, it has the most rockets.
As you start blasting it, it will start to move and the nose will come right up, you might want to change that for your mission, its a little unrelistic.
You will use up most of your rockets, but in the end the LST will explode and slowly sink.

Good idea for a mission!!

Rancor

bigdog632

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2003, 23:13:25 »
download the dreadnought ;D kinda large load for a ch47 but it has 100 2000lb bombs and 20 cruise missiles
/im sure the missiles would do it

bigdog632

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2003, 23:14:18 »
a wwii version of this going after carriers or battleships would be real fun too

Black Fox

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2003, 05:41:52 »
Tried it out...it's fun, but not as much fun as I'd hoped. I might just settle for leaving the LST as eye candy and create a mission based around nailing a whole heap of small landing craft.
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!