Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: dedicated server section  (Read 1224 times)

Freaq-JaW

dedicated server section
« on: 21 Jun 2003, 04:22:38 »
Hi all    :)

A section or link to dedicated-server configuring information
would be great, cause all these maps need to be run somewhere.    8)

And, of course, all these addons and maps
need to be installed on the servers too, i think.    :-[

Hope this suggestion fits with ofpec,
cause new DC-server functions
should probably concern you guys too.     ::)

(Hopefully... well, i just needed some arguments,
cause i can't find much info on that topic
and i'd like to make my server stabel and save for all guests,
with voice-com, faces and all these little extras
that make this game great.)    :-\

Thanks in advance,
Jan.    :D
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2003, 04:39:49 by Freaq-JaW »

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:dedicated server section
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2003, 09:57:01 »
Welcome to the forums, Freaq-JaW :)

You can ask questions about dedicated server configuration at the multiplayer forum. We are open for suggestions about new boards but to date I don't think that the number of dedicated server questions warrant an entire board for these questions.

And please consider that we're an editing related OFP site when you ask your questions. When you have a question about how to install missions or addons, making your ded. server run etc., those questions are more or less widely related to OFP editing. But please don't advertise your server, announce gaming dates, discuss multiplayer experiences etc. Those questions are gemaplay related and will get locked or even removed.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2003, 09:58:36 by Sefe »

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2003, 11:12:04 »
I think a dedicated server admin guide would be a good adition to the OFPEC Ed Depot. One of the things MP mission editors need to be able to do is to run a ded server to test their maps. I know virtually everything about running them, so maybe I can write a concise guide to setting up ded servers for testing purposes.

When testing a MP mission of mine, I had to run all over the net to find out little things about running ded servers that are not documented in the official guides and even figured out some little tricks that arent documented.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Freaq-JaW

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2003, 16:17:58 »
Surely didn't want to advertise my server here... just looking for more info.

I'm probably in a similar situation like toadlive described he was (searching all over the net without much progress), though we all know how frustrating this can be...

But that's exactly what's missing: a site like OFPEC which brings together and "cultivates" all these bits and pieces about dc-servers and of course: shares it freely...

Sad thing is, that all these questions must have been answered from somewhere. If i just look at how many public good running servers there are at gamespy or other "game-clients", then someone must be providing these information. (Well, at least i guess, but maybe i think too positive about the world...)

Perhaps I should fake a "gameserver-for-rent"-enterprise and ask Codemasters or Bohemia Interactive directly... ...and then make a page on my own.   ;D
(hm, if you help me a bit with it, i'd probably really do...)

Anyway, at least it's good to know that I'm not that stupid
and that other folks had the same problems... so thanks again.  :D