Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Tank Rush at Montignac FINAL  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Chaos

• Contributing Member
  • The best Missions are realistic Missions !
    • Operation Flashpoint Database
Tank Rush at Montignac FINAL
« on: 20 Jun 2003, 21:49:29 »
Hi Friends !

Please post here all Bugs or Questions about this Mission.

DOWNLOAD TANKRUSH

Greetz
Chaos

My Question: Last Week i can find the mission in Pending Area. Now i canÂ't find it, only the upper Link works - WHY ??  ???

www.ofpmdb.de.vu

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Re:Tank Rush at Montignac FINAL
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2003, 22:29:01 »
probally because its being reviewed... hence it should appear on the 'reviewed' list soon.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

asmodeus

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2003, 00:24:13 »
@ Chaos

This is a problem I've brought up in the staff discussion area.

For some reason it does this on the default sort option.. All you need to do for now is to click on "show 100" in the sort options and yep!  Your mission is actually there..

As soon as another mission is submitted, you'll see your mission on the 2nd page and "Flushpoint the movie" will disappear.   ::)

@ Messiah

From what I know they should never disappear from the list.. (for now if you sort by 100)   ;)  If they're pending.. They're in the pending list.. If they're reviewed, they're in the reviewed list.  ;)

Asmo

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2003, 20:40:55 »
Like Asmoman said..

Your mission is pending and in line for a review.

Missions are visible in the pendings list even if they are under work by a reviewer.
Not all is lost.

Offline Chaos

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2003, 23:15:54 »
Thx !

i can see TankRush now again - Page 2

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2003, 11:50:11 »
This post is in reply to mission comments posted in the review of Tank Rush.

Chaos,
I have to admit I did feel a bit stink rating your mission as low as I did, as it's obvious you put a lot of work into it.

The 3/10 is an overall mission score (taking all aspects of the mission into account). It is not an average, or a total, but a stand alone score.

The translation was only one of the reasons it was marked down, but even with a perfect translation it would have only achieved about a 4. The main reason I marked it down was due to the overly long cutscenes and overuse of scripts.

The cutscenes really let the mission down simply because they were too long. Realism is nice, but too much realism is very boring. I would suggest maybe showing the same events (for instance in the intro, attacking the town then the counter-attack), but do it in far less time.
I ran a stopwatch during the intro, and found it was 3 or 4 minutes before the friendly forces even entered the town.
A cutscene has to keep the player interested, otherwise it makes them less enthusiastic to play the mission.

Some of my missions have been criticised in the past for this very thing, with me making big long cutscenes that simply weren't entertaining enough. The player gets bored, and loses interest. Think of it like a hollywood movie... if you don't make it entertaining, no one will want to buy tickets ;)
It's not good to have a 10 minute intro just so you can say you've got a 10 minute intro. It should serve a purpose...

The other thing that really hurt the mission was the overuse of scripts... 116 scripts is pretty excessive!
This site is an editing site, so I not only mark your mission for gameplay, but for editing technique as well. Having that many scripts when most of them are the same is poor editing...
May I humbly suggest you check out some scripting tutorials, and find out how to use a single script on multiple vehicles (rather than having a separate script for every vehicle in your mission ;)).

I got the feeling that you have the idea that to be good, a mission must have lots and lots of scripts. This simply isn't the case. Some of the best BIS missions have absolutely NO scripting in them.
If you're going to use a script, it should have a definate purpose. A case in point is your artillery script... it made no difference. You could completely remove it and it wouldn't effect the mission. At one stage I sat in the same spot for about 5 minutes waiting for the artillery to stop falling, as it was bombing the same 20m area... (and doing absolutely nothing but kill my frame rate :()

Another small point:
Most of soviet Troops are moving out of the Trigger Area when they looses are too heavy. Only the Tank & Helicopter crews and 1-6 Soldiers are not scriptet for this action.

That's great. However you should make it so that all soldiers retreat, as they are VERY hard to find if they decide to sit under a bush in the trigger area. If you could make them all retreat, then that annoying 'last guy hiding in a bush' problem would be solved :)

Anyway, I hope I haven't discouraged you too much. Looking at the enemy reactions, unit placements etc. you seem to know how to set out a good battle. :)
I meant what I said about wanting to play a version 2, but I'd suggest working on the scripting and the cutscenes, not just focusing on the translation ;)

Good luck with your future works, I'm looking forward to an improved version of this mission... :D

Offline Chaos

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2003, 18:54:54 »
Scripts:

Sorry Sui, but i canÂ't change the number of scripts or add scripts to the mission. This is a typically OFP Problem - i dont knows a solution for it. Trigers/commands dont suddenly works or Local Variables are not executable. The "End1" selection in trigger i must change to "End4" so that it functions. Can You solution for this Problem ?

I have a many luck - mission is working. After a very long discussion with good german scripters (JörgF. - he helps me very) is this solution - 1 script for one Vehicle - the once, those works.

Intro:

I canÂ't change the fully intro - this lets me works on it 2-3 Weeks. I am working on other Missions now and i havenÂ't a time for it. But i can post a Text for all players they donÂ't find it good - "If you find the Intro too long - please press ESC-Key".
The opinion is here divided - some find the Intro good, some (like you) not.

Guys in the Bushes:

I can try to bind the Pilots and soldiers in the retreat action script, but i cannot promise anything. This is dependently from the "OFP-Trigger&Commands Problem" (see top of this post)

But i say you in last post - no one of over 15 BETAtesters has a problem with "Guy in the Bush" - tested over 60 times. Really !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for German to English translators and for English/German/Polish speakers !!!  Contact me here or per Email-> ofpmdb@gmx.net
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2003, 00:07:18 by Chaos »

RED

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2003, 09:13:57 »
Scripts:

Sorry Sui, but i canÂ't change the number of scripts or add scripts to the mission. This is a typically OFP Problem - i dont knows a solution for it. Trigers/commands dont suddenly works or Local Variables are not executable. The "End1" selection in trigger i must change to "End4" so that it functions. Can You solution for this Problem ?

I have a many luck - mission is working. After a very long discussion with good german scripters (JörgF. - he helps me very) is this solution - 1 script for one Vehicle - the once, those works.

I beg to differ Chaos, you do not need one script per unit. As Sui recommended, go and read some scripting tutorials on passing variables to scripts.

RED

Offline Chaos

• Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2003, 11:31:28 »
@RED

OOOOh !

I canÂ't make it so ! When i use 1 script for all vehicles mission will not works ! This solution of problem find JörgF. - a very good scripter (Mapfact.net/BarrakenAddon/Many good Missions) - he says me, this were the only solution was he knows for this problem. 1 Script for all vehicles donÂ't works here !
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2003, 11:35:18 by Chaos »