Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Cruisers n Big ol Battleships  (Read 7945 times)

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
Re:Cruisers n Big ol Battleships
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jun 2003, 01:18:36 »
Get back on topic, guys.

If you need to start a "mine's bigger than yours argument", do so via IM or email, not in the forums.

Otherwise, this thread will be locked and appropriate action taken against those involved.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #61 on: 22 Jun 2003, 01:20:31 »
on a note the birtish can never hit anything with shells. the normandy beach head was where the brits had to land shells but they bascial missed everythingsame in actual sea battle. the brits just suck at aiming a ship. the american battle ships could land a 3 16in shells (1 armour peircings 2 high exsposive) right onto a bunker blowing it apart..
the US had better battleships then most other nations, and more accurate.

I would advise against making comments like the ones above... Some of us actaully have the facts...

I dont recall anyone other than the British navy actaully shooting at the Scharnhorst and Bismarck....

The Iowa class recently decommsioned woudl very likely have survived an Exocet attack for one very very big reason..  The Exocet does not have an armoured warhead as such, mainly as very very few warships of the time it was desing had any armour, and those that did where in theory friendlies.

I seem to remember it was the British Navy who had the first Dreadnought from which all 'Modern' battleships and battlecruisers stemed..

As another what did the US Navy do in WW1 when the British Navy had its very very very large Battle fleet operting in the North Sea..

The biggest thing to remember is that the Royal Navy dealt with primarily the Atlantic, and the US Navy dealt with the pacific, this meant very different types of Naval battles, and in the end most of those New battleships didn't get used for what there had orginally been designed for.. fighting other ships.  Most became massive gun batteries for landings or large AA platforms, its in this former role the Iowa class managed to survive so long.

US Navy did indeed have better battleships, but it could afford them in WW2 and its shipyards where not under fire....  The Royal Navy was rather involved in tryign to keep its homeland supplied, a problem the USA did not have, in fact it was supplying the UK.

As has been indicated above I am doing quite a number of ships, a big advantage of statics (within the current game engine) is that you can move around on the decks.  The Ferry pictured above has 3 usable lorry decks, including an upper acces ramp, and a working stern ramp.  Fearless has a working dock gate and craft can get in and out.

I would like to do some of the older ships such as the WW2 Monitor HMS Roberts, just a single twin 15inch gun turret, a few secondary guns, smaller than a destroyer..
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2003, 01:25:28 by CBFASI »
CBF Shipbuilding

Mr_Shady

« Reply #62 on: 22 Jun 2003, 01:44:06 »
*applauds CBFASI's ability to spew facts like a machine-gun*

Gentlemen, we should call and end to this little dispute before it turns into a flame-war and gets the topic locked. Anyone wants to criticise the Royal Navy, find some British sailors. Anyone wants to critices the US Navy, find some US sailors. I can guarantee it'd be a lot less civil.

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 22 Jun 2003, 01:47:31 »
Thank you Kooky..

The facts are a left over from Naval Wargaming

Now very much back on topic....

Who else is doing ships???

It seems lot of talk but few publicly saying they actaully doing some..
CBF Shipbuilding

swift88

« Reply #64 on: 22 Jun 2003, 19:37:00 »
im considering to build hms ocean or maybe the aux ship in the background ....... not too sure though
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2003, 19:39:08 by swift88 »

p00_p00

« Reply #65 on: 23 Jun 2003, 14:36:16 »
Go Brittish Navy!

Well I suppose the German Navy was the best with all them yummy U Boats, but I still think the Brits rule the sea. ALthough they dont utilise Subs as much as the Russians or Americans, they have the history, prestige and the most honoured Navy in World History.

Anyone making a "East" boat????
COuld be Russian naval power or Chinese naval power

COuld also be an illegal immigrant's boat...... :D
So those facist Itallians can pratice their machine gunning (Yes an Ittalian MP had stated that he would like to use machineguns and other guns to sink BOat ppl's boats so they wont get into Italy.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #66 on: 23 Jun 2003, 14:56:24 »
@ Swift

It'd be nice to see an auxiliary ship to go with the Falklands mod HMS Hermes  :)

@ p00_p00:

It's not that we don't operate subs as much, it's that we don't have the same sized navy so therefore don't have as many. We have enough nuclear subs dotted around to take care of ourselves.

Oh, and please keep comments like "So those facist Itallians can pratice their machine gunning" to yourself. It's not big, it's not clever, and it'l get the topic locked. I'm not getting uppity or reading the riot act or anything, I'm just tired of things like that spilling out into flame wars.

Vyper

« Reply #67 on: 23 Jun 2003, 17:41:05 »
agreed kooky....unfortunatly sarcasm or witty tones don't come accross in typing so it might seem funny when your writing it but somebody could take it seriously...its lame but its what happens so be careful...

Back to boats....that will be all

Vyper

Offline CBFASI

• Contributing Member
  • Endure All
    • CBFASI's Homepage
« Reply #68 on: 23 Jun 2003, 19:45:19 »
I have some good information then for you guys....

In the Falklands Mod I intend to do all the Maor surface vessels that where under fire in San Carlos water and Falkland Sound...

This includes the following

MV Elk
MV Baltic Ferry (Picture above...)
MV Nordic Ferry (Near sister to Baltic Ferry)
SS Canberra
MV Norland
MV Europic Ferry
MV St Edmund
RFA Tidespring
RFA Fort Austin
RFA Resource
RFA Stromness
RFA Sir Geraint

This as you may DOES NOT include the Combat vessels of the Royal Navy..

The last 5 are going to be among the hardest (as well as Canberra!!)
Anyone with plans of any of these please contact me as they will help a great deal.. The scale does not matter, even down to 1:5000, I have dimensiosn already, I just need to be able to have soemthing to do the actaul shape from.

Overheads are very much required as these have varying hull forms.

Note in that list includes a tanker and supply vessels, these DO NOT include the newer ships.
CBF Shipbuilding

swift88

« Reply #69 on: 23 Jun 2003, 22:02:59 »
well galcomt is making USS Tarawa, so ill proberbly try and build some surface ships, mainly consisting of maybe a few protection ships, and a aux ship, to go with it............

rancor_man67

« Reply #70 on: 24 Jun 2003, 14:28:34 »
Its good to see that so many people are working on ships! Its about time some big ones came out!!

I am a little worried though, will the ships be anything like the houses in ofp?? What stops the water comming up through the bottom levals (as the ground does in many of the houses) and also, is it all kinda 'Blocky'? It isn't possible to have moving doors at the moment is it?? (mabey ofp2) It would be good to have animated objects, like prop shafts turning and stuff.

Has the carrier by BAS or whoever it was, (the one built in sections) been relased yet?? If so where can it be downloaded???

Rancor.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2003, 14:30:07 by rancor_man67 »

swift88

« Reply #71 on: 24 Jun 2003, 16:10:33 »
u have no idea (have you been locked up for a few months) !! firstly falklands mod have realeased hms hermes. Second, there is a script, which allows doors to open and close............. and when did BAS start making ships?

gundam007

« Reply #72 on: 24 Jun 2003, 19:57:43 »
It really is a shame that battleships are no longer produced by our navy (the US). Though they do have a weakness, they could be part of a carrier battlegroup. The reason they still have bombardment use is that their shells are unstoppable. Aircraft can be shot down with anti-air, and even missiles could be disabled by stingers (anti-air and missile purposes) or a Phalanx gatling if the enemy has the technology. Shells have no propulsion so, unless they detonate in mid-air, they will never stop until they hit.

swift88

« Reply #73 on: 24 Jun 2003, 22:56:50 »
this is a model that took me a few minutes, i ll improve it, but u get the general idea
[img removed]shipico1.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2003, 22:58:13 by swift88 »

rancor_man67

« Reply #74 on: 24 Jun 2003, 23:56:38 »
Thing is, the Falklands mod make ships in sections usually, like their Hermes Light Carrier. You get the bow, stern and middle sections, and place them down as empty objects in the editor.

Has this been relisesd yet??

I didn't know that there was a script to open doors, i don't know where i have been!!!  ;D

Rancor.