Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Workaround to the 20sec shell life?  (Read 496 times)

Vilsu

Workaround to the 20sec shell life?
« on: 16 Apr 2003, 13:45:05 »
Hi all,

I was testing mortar and artillery fire in ofp, and found out that *apparently* the shells won't live longer than 20 seconds in air. So if I fire at large arc with an artillery gun or a tank, the shells won't come down if their flight time exceeds 20 seconds. I had a friend with me checking out the explosions from a helicopter.

Is this limitation a fact in OFP? Is there any way around this?

'Cause we would really like to see artillery/mortar fire where some ppl were shooting the guns and some other ppl were adjusting the fire. That would be sweet team-playing, because guns can't shoot blind and the other team can't take on large enemy groups without artillery support.

Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

asmodeus

Re:Workaround to the 20sec shell life?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2003, 13:53:47 »
I do think I've heard of that limit over at the www.flashpoint1985.com forums..

What if every 6th round (or whatever) was a smokeshell?  

Much easier for spotting and readjusting fire IMO.   ;)

Asmo

Vilsu

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2003, 17:21:05 »
That's a good point, Asmo. However spotting the hits is not the biggest problem, since in our testing missions we usually have someone with binoculars (ie. an officer) giving orders to the ppl at the guns. Guns (tanks, artillery) themselves are of course beyond visual range anyway.

The main problem is that we can't shoot for example from one end of the island to another. The longest range we have had with a tank is somewhere around 2km. From there, if we adjust targeting 1 px upwards, the shells disappear into thin air and never hit the ground.

asmodeus

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2003, 22:56:44 »
Ahhh!

I understand the prob now...

Unfortunately as far as I know, there isn't a fix for it.  (as I said I've seen this before)

But, as always I could be wrong and I hope someone corrects me and this problem gets fixed!   :)

Asmo

*edit*

The only workaround that comes to mind is having 2 seperate things..  1 place that the shell is fired from, and 1 place where it's created close to where it ends up..  I believe some of the existing arty scripts incorporate this idea, but I'm no expert in this subject.

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2003, 22:59:22 by Asmodeus »

titan

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2003, 23:43:40 »
check out my thread here for that (no ones replyed yet...im so lonely).

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=8656