Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A baffeling unexplained problem.  (Read 561 times)

Zahael

A baffeling unexplained problem.
« on: 11 Mar 2003, 16:09:55 »
Hi everybody, I have an amazing and baffling problem.  I am no stranger to making my own cutscenes or acompaning sound, but this has got me stumped.  I would reallym really appreciate any help.

MY problem is this - I have a smalll cutscene where an officer is being briefed by his commanding officer.  I have no problem doing this - the wav to lip worked fine and the speech was perfect. Problem was that some of the camera angles were faily far away, so sometime the speech could no tbe heard.  To solve this, I created a second set of speech files, exactly the same and used the "playsound" command directly after the "say" command, so the lip file would still work. Eg this sound file was called "comd1" I save it to a new file called "pscomd1", add it to the description.ext and change the original "comd1" file so that it plays silence (i delete the sound so there was just an empty file.  THis should've stopped ghosting or cluttering of sounds).

This problem is, no speech plays.  Its baffling because text comes  up as though it is playing, but no sound comes out. I used exaclty the same sound format as before (44hz, 16 bit, mono) but no sound.  As an experiment I deleted the "say" command and just used the playsound, and text comes up, but no sound.

I assume my description.txt is correct because if it wasn't, I would get an error message or the text wouldn't come up.  

Can anyone see any glaring things that it might be?  It is really giving me the shits.  Big time.

THanks in advance,

Zahael

RP

Re:A baffeling unexplained problem.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2003, 19:54:14 »
Are you shure this isn't the "empty" file playing?

Zahael

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2003, 02:28:34 »
Positive.

RP

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2003, 07:29:55 »
I would try a test mission with just a dude speaking that file, to see if it works. If it does, it must be something wrong with your cutscene...

Ace

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2003, 09:04:13 »
I had the same problem... I found that the way I did it was have a persn named "Dummy" posiioned always half a meter behind the camera and have him say it

Although I was lucky enough to have he angles so you couldn't see the supposed speakers mouth (and how it wasn't moving!

Zahael

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2003, 16:22:19 »
Yeah . . . thats not going to work for me.  I am doing this because the cutscene I am making uses pretty extensive lip usage

Zahael

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:30:44 »
Any other ideas?

Zahael

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2003, 10:53:46 »
anybody?  Please?

RP

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2003, 20:07:59 »
Hey Zahael, i know i've told you this before, but i think you must isolate its basics components, to figure out what is causing the problem.
The way i see it, the best way would be to make a fresh start, adding one element at a time and testing it.
Maybe (like macguba stated) OFP is not dealing well with playing both files, or maybe is something else...
I guess you will never know if you don't try a diferent aproach.