Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Above Sea-level Lakes? (via an error within WrpEdit)  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Phaeden

• Members
  • There's plenty of time to sleep when you're dead.
Greetings all,

During my island building nightmare, I have occassionally encountered a situation where the in-game avatar will "sink" into the ground.  This typically happens when he is walking across terrain I have modified I wrpedit (after initial creation in Wilbur).  The appearance is that he is walking below sea level.  Does anyone know what causes this or how to control it?  I was thinking that if it could be a controlled situation one could replicate lakes at higher altitudes (by using a "lake" land texture).  It may add more variety to terrains.

Any thoughts?
Semper Fi

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Above Sea-level Lakes? (via an error within WrpEdit)
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2003, 21:36:38 »
Just a thought:

Did you apply Default Flags after altering the terrain?

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Phaeden

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2003, 00:18:07 »
It isn't a problem - I know about applying the default flags after I alter the terrain - my question is can I purposefully control this "false" terrain?  If I can, then I may be able to simulate lakes or ponds at high elevations.

Perhaps I wasn't clear the first time, so I will try again...

Occasionally, I have modified terrain in WrpEdit which then appears as hills, etc. in OFP.  Every now and then, the ground is "false," the player will walk "into" the ground, giving the illusion that he is walking into the sea.  If whatever causes this can be replicated, one would be able to place "lakes" at elevations above 0m.    

Semper Fi

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 07 Mar 2003, 23:44:47 »
I've noticed this effect before also, but I have no real idea how it could be used to create lakes at altitudes above 0m.

I think the sea texture would sink to 0m if you tried to apply it to a part of your terrain, even the part that exhibited this behaviour.

But, I could be wrong.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Phaeden

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 08 Mar 2003, 01:36:41 »
I think you are right concerning the deafult sea texture, but a custom texture file should work (I think).  

This is not an earth-shattering discovery by any means, it is just something that might add variety to new islands.
Semper Fi