Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: hex editing  (Read 1858 times)

LimeCordial

hex editing
« on: 27 Aug 2002, 15:02:45 »
hey i have done the textures for my chopper but have been told i need to hex edit the .p3d so it uses the new textures and not the old ones. i have hex workshop but i havent a slightest clue how to use it. skaven said he would try to find a tutorial for me but doesnt seem to be having any luck.......so does anyone else know where i could get one that is good for n00bs like me? bear in mind im a bit stupid.  ;) could anyone also tell me how to do it if cant find a tutorial. thanks.  :)

Skaven

Re:hex editing
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2002, 16:11:13 »
Indeed I haven't find any yet  :-\ But I'm gonna ask the man that teached me to help you KKB where are you mate  ???

Offline KKB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2002, 17:45:33 »
You are not allowed to change the length of the p3d file, if the original texture has the following entry in the p3d

data\texture1.pac

then you have to modify the name of your texture to match this length. It is a matter of what your pbo file is called, for instance

myaddon.pbo

then you have to change the name of the texture to

text1.pac

because the complete path would look like this

myaddon\text1.pac

the name can be whatever you want, important is the length. Backup of the p3d file highly recommended before you start  :)

Best is you make a list where you write all the original pathnames and the new pathnames.

Open the p3d in a hexeditor, call up the replace function, switch it to ascii mode and put the first original path in the search field and the new path in the 'replace with' field. Hit replace all.
Do that with all the pathnames.
Save the p3d and check if it has still the same filesize as the backup u made. If yes, chances are you were succesful :)

Good luck!
If you have questions, ask :)
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2002, 17:49:55 by KKB »

major asshole

« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2002, 07:19:48 »

G'day Lime,

I use one called XVI32 it's pretty straightforward

It can be found here   http://www.chmaas.handshake.de

hth

L8R

LimeCordial

« Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2002, 13:15:11 »
hey thanks. but is this still open? well ive done it now so.....