Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Encode a mission & position of a soldier  (Read 1023 times)

Offline crisbal

• Members
Encode a mission & position of a soldier
« on: 19 Apr 2011, 13:40:31 »
What must I write in the init field to get a soldier stay in her knees? ... setunitpos "middle" or "auto" doesn't work for me in OFPR 1.96

The next question is that I want to submmit a mission but I want to encode it first to avoid no permitted modifications by anybody... I don't know if I need a encoder specific program or modify anything else in the init file. Thanks!

Walter_E_Kurtz

Re: Encode a mission & position of a soldier
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2011, 22:31:08 »
Remaining Crouched
 This is a commonly asked question that doesn't have an absolutely perfect answer (just search this section of the forum for setunitpos and crouch and you might find a post like this) - the more you try to force a unit to remain on it's knees the more you are likely to prevent it from behaving sensibly.

Encrypting missions
 It is possible to encode missions so that they cannot be opened in the mission editor, but the same tool can be used to reverse the process making it little more than an inconvenience. You have to ask yourself why you would want to do this:
   - no-one is going to be making money from OFP missions.
   - OFP is a community: thieves will get caught.
   - the OFPEC motto is "By the community, for the community": if you have an elegant method it would be churlish to prevent others from learning.
   - it can help during beta-testing for the investigation of errors/problems: the harder you make it for them the less likely they are to help you.

The simplest way would be to:
   - include a readme with your name - state no modification is allowed.
   - include an overview with your name in it so people know who the mission is by.
   - include a briefing with your name on the notes page.
   - have a credit sequence within the mission with your name in it.

In fact you should do those things as a matter of course: the simplest way is THE way.

Addenda:
Quote from: crisbal
...I've got a lot of missions that I can't open in the mission editor, before I've using an PBO decoder.
Without more information it's difficult to know what to suggest.

PBOs
The pbo format stores all the files comprising a mission in one place, making them easy to share. A tool such as PboX allows you to extract the original files allowing you to open the mission in the mission editor.

raPification
Bohemia Interactive used a process to optimise certain files (configs and mission.sqm) for the game engine to read. Hence original BIS missions cannot be directly opened in the mission editor.

File paths
For missions to be accessible in the mission editor they should be located in
   \<Your OFP installation> \ Users \ <Your username> \ missions

Errors
Later versions of OFP are vaguely helpful in that they actually report when errors occur. If you get an error on trying to open a mission in the mission editor then the solution is probably near.

OFP = Operation Flashpoint
Are you sure the missions are for OFP and have you played them in single-player? Missions for Armed Assault and OFP2: Dragon Rising won't work.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2011, 00:11:03 by Walter_E_Kurtz »