Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Should Author Addons / Missions Be In .EXE Format?  (Read 12016 times)

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
Re:Should Author Addons / Missions Be In .EXE Format?
« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2002, 01:12:34 »
nope! my parrot is named willy  ::)

( :booty: )

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #31 on: 16 Nov 2002, 11:05:17 »
I plan on releasing an update to Operation Lojack one of these days, so that it works with 1.85.

The mission is a hefty 4.8MB, so I figure I will release a patch that will patch the original version. I made a version 1.1 of Lojack a long time ago, but decided not to release it. The size of the patch was only 70kb!. Of course, I will offer a 'full' download, but for those who still have the original, and want to play it agin in v1.85, 70kb is nicer download than 4.8MB.

You guys need to chill with the virus fears. If you download it from OFPEC, I'm sure it will be clean. Any respectable site would scan executables for viruses before hosting them.

I just spent 8 hours cleaning viruses off of, and completely reinstalling our Exchange server at work. The servers were infected, not because a file thought to be legit was actually a virus, but because a certain idiot MCSE who works with me decided to install outlook on the mail server to test out the accounts he created. F---ing pudwacker!

The point of that is, if you practice an ounce of prevention, and be a little bit wary of what you run, you will be ok. I wouldn't worry bout downloaded exe's from OFPEC.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

CareyBear

« Reply #32 on: 16 Nov 2002, 14:57:38 »
I say not for me, but it's nothin to do with viruses. It's just because I like to keep track of what addons I have, and I often won't download a mission if it uses custom addons (I don't see the point in an addon for one mission only - addons with a good 'shelf life', multiple uses etc are another issue) - and dislike it especially if the mission zip includes commonly available addons.

Case in point - I d/l'd a 'nam mission by Winters (Hill 420). Nice mission.. but the zip included the nam pack.  >:(
As if I don't have it. So it took two hours to download on my pissy 56K, just to give me an addon I already had.  :P

I have no objection to a .zip fulla stuff, but I like to know what's going where. Besides, when it comes to missions, I have about ten subdirectories in my /missions folder & things go where they should in there - but only I know where that might be.

I realise this is the perspective of someone who has several computing qualifications & about ... um .. god .. 17ish years of experience with computers (yes, I shit u not) - a perspective rather different from someone who does not in fact know the difference between the addons folder and the missions folder - or who may not have been born the first time I struggled with a for loop. This is not to be derogatory.. I remember the first time I stared at the addons folder and went "What, do I just dump it in here? Oooh.. I need to restart.. Do islands go in here? or do they go in Worlds?" etc etc

My theory: Just make *two* of them.. one .exe and one zip. Then people can download whichever of them rings their bell. We aim to please...  ;)

Personally, I think havin em as zips teaches ppl a little about how the system works.. what goes where etc... & I have no objections to answerin questions in the forums or the chat, no matter how simple they might seem. Everythin's simple once u know how to do it, & I like people who want to know how things work.. but that doesn't mean *forcin* people to learn how things work if they don't have to and don't want to know.

Besides, I'm perfectly capable of opening a sfx with a zip program.. I do believe winzip kindly set me up a right-click option for sfxs to open them in WinZip.. so there's really no difference between a SFX and a ZIP. So if it all goes to .exes, I just have to exercise my middle finger a bit.. ;D

neway, that's my 2c, or it would be if we still had 2c coins in this country.

PS: yes, a lot of that was leading up to the middle finger joke. Sad, isn't it?

PPS: TL: it's ppl like that who make me not mention my MCSE in job interviews. Too many twits bought their frickin qualifications at those 'boot camps'. Sheesh, pay $7000 for a MCSE? It's cheaper if u *study* for it.  ::)

PPPS: Really? Outlook? On the MAIL server? Is he really that stupid? And .. *grins* did u change the passwords on all the servers and not give them to him? Best defense...

</rant>

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #33 on: 17 Nov 2002, 00:00:52 »
PPS: TL: it's ppl like that who make me not mention my MCSE in job interviews. Too many twits bought their frickin qualifications at those 'boot camps'. Sheesh, pay $7000 for a MCSE? It's cheaper if u *study* for it.

PPPS: Really? Outlook? On the MAIL server? Is he really that stupid? And .. *grins* did u change the passwords on all the servers and not give them to him? Best defense...

He is the only MCSE in the department. I don't, nor will I ever attempt to obtain an MCSE. In the early days of my  I.T. carreer (only four years ago in my case :) ), I was all for getting an MCSE, but after meeting too many, who were total dumasses, and obvioiusly memorized a bunch of answers, I have changed my goals.

I run everything there anyway. ;)

"I have hired and fired many MCSE's."
- From a consultant Friend of mine, who works with us from time to time, and owns a wireless ISP
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2002, 00:03:15 by toadlife »
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #34 on: 17 Nov 2002, 22:08:32 »
I run everything there anyway
*Coughs*

And who still got his bottom spanked during a little adventure?

:P

Anyway...

My theory: Just make *two* of them.. one .exe and one zip. Then people can download whichever of them rings their bell. We aim to please...  

Well, you'll know how much this would increase storage requirements by, so we obviously cannot at this point in time, go down that road.

Case in point - I d/l'd a 'nam mission by Winters (Hill 420). Nice mission.. but the zip included the nam pack.  
As if I don't have it. So it took two hours to download on my pissy 56K, just to give me an addon I already had.

The Missions Depot now eliminates that problem. The only files in the zip, -should- be the Readme and the PBO for the Mission. That's it.

The addons are all seperated, and are downloadable by choice.

The other problem, as stated about .exe files, is that the guy that made it, can install the stuff anywhere on your PC, and create anything to be flung about. Folders, shortcuts and all sorts of crap.

Now, the issue is not for us, whom are obviously aware of what we're doing, but for Joe Bloggs whom has just got it, and installs it, because he's not really that sure of what's going on. Then his Desktop and his C:\ is full of unwarranted and totally unrequired directories and other such crap.

Besides, .exe's generally require more files to be put on your HD, from the Setup custome image to all manner of crap that the author though 'Looked good'.

I just don't like the thought of that.

Damn, it's not that hard to zip some dirs, with a clear Readme, and let the user do the small bit of legwork that it takes to enjoy your hard worked at mission.

Too much to ask? I think not.

You guys need to chill with the virus fears. If you download it from OFPEC, I'm sure it will be clean. Any respectable site would scan executables for viruses before hosting them.

Thus increasing our Review time again. We don't need any extra labour added to the already hefty workload of our Reviewers. I know most Reviewers will probably side-step an .exe and leave it for someone else, which leads to longer turn-around times. Not that I can blame them, I wouldn't want to have to download several .exe's then scan it, and hope that a scan is sufficient.

Lets not dumb it down and open ourselves up.

The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #35 on: 17 Nov 2002, 23:17:50 »
Thus increasing our Review time again. We don't need any extra labour added to the already hefty workload of our Reviewers. I know most Reviewers will probably side-step an .exe and leave it for someone else, which leads to longer turn-around times. Not that I can blame them, I wouldn't want to have to download several .exe's then scan it, and hope that a scan is sufficient.

I see your point. What about the scenario I put forth where I might release a patch along with a full version for Lojack? I could just submit the full version to OFPEC and host the patch on my site and provide a link, leaving it up to the user, as to weather or not they want to trust me.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #36 on: 19 Nov 2002, 21:18:06 »
 :D Wolfy, ol' duck - in addition to all this .exe crap, I have a little prayer :

Would it be poss. to add a few file converting tools to the Addons Depot or the Ed. Depot  ??? :)

Seeing all these new addons popping up in ".ace" format or ".rar" format which I don't have
a clue on how to open/install - it could be REALLY great with a couple of tools, or at least
some kind of "FORMATS TUTORIAL", for grabs in one of the ofpec sections!  :cheers:
(perhaps with links to where ya can get the proper conv. tools etc.)

It sure as hell suits this site to be able to cope with the latest & oddest ( :P ) stuff out there.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #37 on: 20 Nov 2002, 00:35:03 »
Hmm.. not that .ace or .rar have anything to do with OFP, I think it's an idea worth a look.

For the record .ace and .rar are file formats of packed files just like .zip is, but unlike .zip the .ace and .rar never made it to be distributed with windows.. as in winzip  :P

You can find good .rar and .ace extracting softwares from all over the net, but if you go to www.tucows.com you can't go wrong. just search it's database and you're bound to find a tool.

I don't really know what to say to this officially, so let's just remember all that I have no official statement on this subject.  :D ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #38 on: 20 Nov 2002, 04:02:18 »
Try:

http://www.powerarchiver.com/

;)

Not so good with the latest .rar files, but it handles everything else in one great program

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #39 on: 20 Nov 2002, 12:14:42 »
Hank ya, ladies  :-* though the ---> :toocool: just goes for me!
what about all the other morons out there who (like me, minus the moron part off course) don't have a frikkin clue on what to do with these lesser well known 'compressors'  ???  :o

I also saw a thread about this on the General Ed. board yesterday,
so obviously I'm not the only goofy around  :beat: :tomato:

Which makes me hang on to my orig. question :

:) Wouldn't it be a good idea to add somekind of unpacking tut to one of the depots ?

Having tried the links & now - successfully, clap yer hands  ::) - used the tools,
I think a simple collection of links to the most popular sites where you can
grab those tools would be a great idea, that is if a short info. text is included.

Som'n like :

>> If you have downloaded an addon which isn't packed
in the most common used .zip format,
but is called .ace
or .rar or (insert unknown formats here), and you don't
know what to do  :noo: ease up,  :D ofpec helps you out.
All you need is....<<  etc.

Well, just some
              "Feeling lost? Can't install the addons? Read this..."

this could be really neat  8) :)

_hammy_

« Reply #40 on: 05 Jan 2003, 01:40:02 »
i voted no mainly because of the virus stuff, but for large MODs and stuff, i like having a installer, but for addons and missions, its just a waste

Offline icarus_uk

• Members
  • LiarLiarPants Inflame True
    • [furryclan]
« Reply #41 on: 05 Jan 2003, 17:24:26 »
I voted no.  Its a waste of time and effort for the addon maker to make the exe file.  A zip file is fine for just one PBO.  Heck even for alot of PBO's its fine.  If its an addon then they do in the addons folder  Missions go in the missions folder.  Its not exactly rocket science, and I should know, Im doing rocket science at Uni.

beowulf2014

« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2003, 06:16:23 »
I voted yes just simply becuase i deal in a group of 35 plus members who asks so many "stupid" questions about where to put this and where to put that......takes a friggin hour just to play a board.lmao

As for viruses, I run Norton 2003 and also  a trojan horse checker/remover
that checks my computer on start-up as well as manuelly when I want it to. so I think that .exe is the easiest and best way to distrubute addons/mission/etc.
oh the link to the trojan horse remover if your interested is,

http://us01.anti-trojan.net/ATro55en.exe

lis

« Reply #43 on: 26 May 2003, 06:02:56 »
omg i am totally 100% NO!

no no no no no no... and finally... no.  >:(

Eagles Talon

« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2003, 20:09:43 »
no no double no, use aae, and i warn agenst touching a user made addon in exe form, people here are only thinking viruses, but look at the program NSIS ( http://nsis.sourceforge.net ) ya, you can easily make an exe with in, but it can be turned into a very malicious program with 1 line of code, it can wipe out your ofp game, program files folder, or whole damn hdd, and it would be undetectable to a virus checker, i have virtually no programming expierience and i could do this, so just think what a real programmer can do, if anyone puts out an addon in exe form, i would not use it, and i warn ofpec from touching it if it is submitted, unless you are the type who enjoys reinstalling crap and like to have to re-download addon sets all over again :)  
just wanted to give a heads up,
im on to you CS fans!!!!!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2003, 20:12:32 by Eagles Talon »