Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Tonal  (Read 3311 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Tonal
« on: 23 Jun 2009, 05:18:23 »
Does anyone know if there are plans to port Tonal island from OFP into arma2? Or perhaps someone would like to build another island that mirrors closely to it?

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
Re: Tonal
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2009, 22:47:58 »
Ask Ebud. He can sometimes be found over on the original forums. I know that he was working on a revised version of the tonaleese islands with smoother terrain when Arma1 was released. It was for OFP though and I only saw an early BETA as I did some testing (there was a static elephant included in the files  :) ). Maybe Ebud continued with the project. Or has access to some Visitor files that may still be useful.

EDIT: Since Arma2 is quite demanding for the CPU, a desert style setting might be appreciated by low end users such as myself
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2009, 22:49:35 by nominesine »
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2009, 17:40:25 »
No way am I ever going to put myself through that hell again. The final OFP Tonal Redux was enough for me. If I ever need a fix I can play the Bushfires mod work for ARMA1 and maybe eventually for ARMA2.

Sorry but my days of modding are long done after I finished a bunch of work for CWR over a year ago. I've been "modding free" ever since and much better off for it :)
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2009, 19:48:45 »
Nevertheless I liked your static elephant  :) Looking forward to some Brushfire wars in the future. I've always liked African settings.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2009, 20:17:13 »
So just how hard would it be to port Tonal to Arma2?

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2009, 16:41:01 »
Virtually impossible. You cannot just "port" Tonal. I worked on CWR and helped make Malden from scratch and I only did the main sat image overlay and that itself took about a year along with the units. That's all I did and it took a year... a year... a year. Now I  can't imagine if I had to replace objects, rework plants and buildings, edit units and vehicles etc. You can't just port anything into ARMA. It would take an entire team 1-2 years working part time to re-create Tonal in ARMA/ARMA2.

Look at the Bushwars mod. I had started working on it with Obmar and helped get the units going and some initial island work but even that was taking entirely too much free time.

I was hoping Farcry2 would scratch that itch but it was only for a couple months :(  I'm tempted to reinstall OFP just to actually play the Tonal Redux missions I barely played after finally finishing the darn thing.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2009, 12:39:48 by bedges »
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2009, 17:50:48 »
I was hoping Farcry2 would scratch that itch but it was only for a couple months :(  I'm tempted to reinstall OFP just to actually play the Tonal Redux missions I barely played after finally finishing the darn thing.

LOL ... go on, treat yourself !
Thanks for the hard work ebud, but I understand what you mean, good looking islands are hard to do.
Tonal should be slightly easier to do, lots of desert, but still, not just a simple port.
I tried doing WaterWorld and got it half way there, but it looked very average in ArmA and the last half of converting it looked like it was going to take 10 times longer than the first half, with object placement and replacement, and improving the mask and sat map.
Seriously hard work.
Thats why I was more seriously pursuing a whole new map with some "shortcut" map making tools like L3DT and EarthSculptor.

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2009, 04:56:02 »
Tried Roller?
Spooners Ofp to ArmA island converter.