Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: VBS 2 and Arma  (Read 2594 times)

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
VBS 2 and Arma
« on: 29 Jan 2009, 23:32:58 »
 Maybe I've missed something, but why are folks so touchy when the subject of VBS 2 is brought up? I "played" VBS while in Iraq and was impressed. I also noticed that Arma content is fully compatible in VBS 2. So, why do folks get bent out of shape when someone posts screenshots of something cool they saw in VBS? Is VBS content compatible with Arma? It just seems that over on the BI forum, folks really get a bee in their bonnet when the subject is brought up. Just curious....

Lots of posts this week....finished a big programming project, so I had some spare time. (can you believe I went back to college to learn programming and 3d design just to make Arma better?)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: VBS 2 and Arma
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2009, 00:40:55 »
The fact is that ArmA is a game and VBS is a training tool for the security forces of various descriptions and countries.
These people commission content for their own needs and of course for that reason VBS content is not available for ArmA.

Whether ArmA content is available for VBS use is up to the authors of such content AND BI.
This is not for us to discuss on this site as we are only concerned with editing content for the game and anything non-editing or non-game related is not our concern.

Some people take exception to the fact that VBS appears to be using some content originally for ArmA.
I have no idea about this and I don't particularly care, but many people seem to 'get bent out of shape' about it.

This topic will be closed rather quickly though if it is used to discuss VBS, mainly because it is outwith our remit as VBS is not a game made by BI.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2009, 19:37:31 »
 No I will not use it to discuss VBS (though it is made by BIA, a division of BIS). I just wanted to know a little more about why all the negative feelings about the relationship between the two.

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2009, 13:58:18 »

This topic will be closed rather quickly though if it is used to discuss VBS, mainly because it is outwith our remit as VBS is not a game made by BI.

Planck

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=2d63867aeca148a828d282a4dbe15eb4;act=ST;f=59;t=76848

From Maruk himself ..... on this Forum.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb 2009, 14:25:20 »
I believe the difference between ArmA and VBS is, and has always been, that VBS is not a game. I believe it is also mainly worked on by Australia-based BIA, but that's neither here nor there: bottom line is, ceci n'est pas un jeu-video.

:)

Wolfrug out.

"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 03 Feb 2009, 14:40:44 »
Oui, but we played it as one when we could. Are the models just better quality Arma Models? I'll toot the Arma horn for quite some time, I just wish B.A.S was back into the Add-On market like it was for OFP.

Mods, feel free to lock at your convenience, I think my question has been answered. Thanks for your patience.

Offline snYpir

• BIS Team
  • OFPEC Jedi Master
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2010, 00:16:20 »
Just for clarification:

The VBS series is made by Bohemia Interactive, a subset now known as Bohemia Interactive Simulations (BISim).

Within BI we share developers, models, source code etc etc between the game side and the simulation side. As I just posted elsewhere, elements of VBS2 are going to appear in the upcoming Operation Arrowhead - tracers, soldier drag and thermal imaging, to name a few.

The VBS models are generally of lower quality than in the games, but there are more of them. In addition VBS2 uses the older Armed Assault game engine, while the ArmA2 engine is much more advanced from a graphics perspective.
Bohemia Interactive Simulations

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2010, 09:46:35 »
snYpir!  :D Listen to the man, he WORKS for the man these days. Or, well, the man = BIS(im). I still remember that one mission with the M113s, the name of which has slipped my mind except that the main guy's name was like Axe. One of the first missions I picked apart and learned from (back in the days when artillery had to be simulated by setdammaging a static turret in a random area since no-one had figured out camcreated ordinance yet). Oh, the memories. Stuff like "abort mission if x amount of friendlies are dead" and avoiding the last loon problem were, at the time, quite revolutionary in fact. Even BIS missions often had these problems.

End of off-topic rant. Just wanted to give a wave to snYpir!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2010, 11:36:26 »
Operation Axe-point was it's name I believe, Wolfrug. ;)

I can clearly remember that mission too. God I miss those days! :weeping: