Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: got some questions about editing  (Read 3009 times)

Offline urias03

• Members
got some questions about editing
« on: 12 Dec 2008, 14:22:43 »
ok got some questions about editing..I know it's a lot so answer what you know but that's pretty much all of my questions:

1.I want 2 pilots in the chopper,how do I do that?
I mean,in the chinook there's one pilot and in every helicopter i've downloaded there is one so how can I put 2?

2.how can I make AI pilot to start the engine?(only,not flying)

3.how can I make the AI pilot to lower the ramp/open door?

4.how can I end the mission not by "end" trigger,I want to end the mission after I finish the objectives but I then I need to run to the trigger..how can I end the mission without having to enter the end trigger?

5.how can I make a plane/chopper land?

6.how do I write the Briefing?

7.what do I need to write to have the USA flag on the pole?

ummm I think that's it..
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2008, 15:24:02 by urias03 »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re: got some questions about editing
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2008, 15:48:02 »
1./  You can only have one pilot in an aircraft, the co-pilot seat is, in many cases, a gunners position or merely the first cargo position. You can easily place a second pilot in there, but it will only be for looks.

5./  nameOfAircraft land "Land"  land command.

6./  Try the Editors Depot where you will find many tutorials about many interesting and varied subjects, including briefings ...Briefing tutorial.

7./  nameOfFlagpole setFlagTexture "nameofUSflagtexture"  ... setFlagTexture command

The COMREF for all commands   :good:
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Ext3rmin4tor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2008, 16:38:55 »
2. chopper engineOn true

where chopper is the name of the vehicle you want to turn on.

3. In OfP you can't open doors or ramps. If you're using an addon you must read the addon documentation, but usually you can do that with the action command (but you must know the addon action name to lower the ramp and/or open hatches and doors)

4. I don't completely understand this question but I think you wanted to say that you want the game to detect all the objectives are completed and then end the mission by the end trigger (the end trigger is the only way to end a mission). For this you must write a small script, that is you can run a script every time you complete an objective, set a boolean variable to true for every objective and set the object as completed so that you can see the green tick in the notepad. For example when you complete the first objective you run a script from a trigger with this code:

Code: [Select]
objVar1 = true
"1" setObjStatus "DONE"
exit

but you need to know how to make scripts to fully understand this (if you want to make decent missions you need to know OFP scripting language). The objective number is defined in the Briefing.html file. After every objective is completed you'll have a set of variables (according to the example they're called objVar1, objVar2, objCar3,... but of course you can choose whatever name you want for variables) so you can write in the "end" trigger condition

objVar1 and objVar2 and objVar3 and...

which means that it triggers when every objective is done (that is, the corresponding variable is set to true). In this way the mission ends when every objective is completed.

5. You can do this in two ways. If you want the chopper to land and unload the unit it's carrying you can use "Transport unload" or "Unload". The first one works if the cargo units are not in the same group of the vehicle and need to be synchronized with a "Get out" waypoint linked to the cargo group leader. This means you have to put a "Tranport unload" waypoint for the chopper and place it at the landing zone and a "Get out" waypoint for the cargo group leader and place it near the previous waypoint and then syncronize them. If the cargo units are in the same group of the vehicle you just need to place a "Unload" waypoint for the vehicle at the landing zone. In both cases if you want the chopper to land exactly where you placed the waypoint you must place a H object or a Invisible H object (you can find them selecting "empty" or "void" side , don't recall the name right now, and then selecting "Object" in the class field).
The second way is to use the land command but in this case the units in the cargo space will not get out automatically. (you can find docs here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/land)

6. To write a briefing you must know the rules of .html language (but just the basic rules like what tags are and how you use them). To create a html document you can use notepad or download notepad++ which is free and highlights with colors the text tags and sections (very useful for large brieifngs). If you want to make a simple briefing then download ArmaEdit, it's a text editor that highlights arma/ofp script commands (useful to make scripts of any sort) and has also a wizard to create briefings. Also this link may be helpful: http://www.flashpoint1985.com/docs/briefing.html
How can you shoot women and children?
Easy! Ya' just don't lead'em so much! Ain't war hell?!!

Offline urias03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2008, 19:54:26 »
wow thanks guys :D
You really helped me..though I think I'll quit from making missions with end triggers and briefing..I'll just imagine to myself the briefing and the end  :cool2:
actually by "land" I meant just to land
and I've downloaded many choppers with the option "lower ramp" so how can I make AI to do it?
that was my question(there's gotta be somthing you can do to make AI to do it)

btw,I know it's not really in connection but do you guys know good Iraq maps?
all I find is Afghanistan..the Iraqi maps that I found are Al najaf,73 Easting and east Iraq/Iran

« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2008, 20:16:13 by urias03 »

Offline Ext3rmin4tor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2008, 20:22:19 »
I've never downloaded addon islands so I can't answer your last question. Anyway why do you want to quit making missions with end and briefing? It's not that hard, you can learn how to do it in at most 3 hours. I think that's worthy of your time, you'll be very satisfied when you'll be able to make a mission that really kicks ass and not the same shit whit a couple of basic triggers and waypoints. You don't need to fully know HTML to make a decent briefing (I personally don't know much about HTML but I can make good briefings) and it is easy to make a script, you just need to use the command reference from this site and to use your brain a bit (but just if you're gonna do really complex scripts, the rest is just routine after you'll have made a bit of practise).

Offline urias03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2008, 20:31:54 »
ok so how do I learn to use HTML?in all briefing guide they never tell

Offline Ext3rmin4tor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2008, 20:40:03 »
ok so how do I learn to use HTML?in all briefing guide they never tell

You just need to read the Bohemia tutorial I linked in the previous reply. Just copy paste their example and modify the text inside (but read also the explanation so you'll understand what you need). You can also download ArmaEdit and use the briefing wizard of that editor.

Offline M!StAkE id11479

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2008, 00:08:04 »
I had very noobs skills in pc using and i had do my first brief in some minutes lol (i used a site step by step and as say Exterminator i had read the Bohemia tutorial in ofp preferences...)
In the Bohemia tutorial they give you a brief file in exemple that you can download, or use the "unpbo" prog for open an official mission for copy the brief, then:
double clic on the brief, go at top in options "files" and select "modify with(name of one of your text prog by default)", then you can change the text of the briefing, use your brain and try to understand what commands are writted in about ends, do same for the over views...
The base is:
Give a name for the markers you put on the map, in the brief you have to write a special command for make the marker active in the briefing text (blue text in game):

<a href="marker:YOURmarkerNAME">THEtextWHOwillAPPEARinBRIEFING</a>

For an objective its easy, it will being green in briefing when you will complete it, you need a command for active the objective once its done : write "1" objstatus"done" in the activation field of a trigger, in condition you have to choose (by exemple "east & non present (with a perimeter) = when no one east units will be in that zone the objective 1 will be done and his text in brief will being green marked (make another trigger with the right condition in and write "1"objstatus"failed" for have it red marked in briefing)...

Ofp editor is easy to use but you need to learn some protocoles and commands, with only 10% of infos in this forum you can make some nice missions, use well the forum and the "search" options with keywords, and open some easy missions with Unpbo for understand how work the map...
The site have some step by step files for use ofp editor, try one!

Offline urias03

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2008, 17:27:18 »
got question..everytime I look at ofp pictures(like pic of the day in OFPF)the soldiers do some unique animation like holding the gun or taking cover
how can I do it?

Offline zwobot

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2008, 07:26:03 »
Those are custom animations you can use with switchMove or playMove, they do not alter the normal animations like when you (the player) are running, crouching, aiming and everything else...
Search ofp.info for 'animation' and you should find some of those animation packs.
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2008, 09:38:44 by bedges »
"Executing tactics in real combat is the hardest thing one can ever do...well I've never given birth but..well whatever."

Offline urias03

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2008, 21:26:23 »
great thanks :D
though didn't find many..nvm
now I got the greatest question of all..for several weeks now I'm thinking on buying Arma,I played ofp since 2001 and well..I think it's time to say goodbye
so I got some questions:
1.is it woth it?I played the demo and was really impressed(I run it in highest graphics)from everyting even that the demo didn't show much
2.what's the addons situation?almost everything that I'll want I'll find like ofp?
3.I know there's expansion but is it improtant like the resistance that was needed for every addon or I can skip it?

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2008, 05:31:43 »
If one were to inform me that it was not worth it, I would buy it anyways to form my own opinion. Mine is that it lacks the immersive quality that OFP had. It does not yet have the addon base that OFP has but in time I'm sure will go far beyond OFP's as I assume that all adoons will be compatible with Arma2. The graphics are much better than OFP but the lack of animations, AI and other smaller things ruin the editing part of the game. But this is just my opinion. It is always worth the journey to discover new things. You may even want to wait a little longer to see if the stores drop the price at the release of Arma2.

Offline Ext3rmin4tor

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2008, 10:07:17 »
I will buy ArmA dispite what everyone would tell me just for one reason: they're making an outstanding addon (a mod team supported by BIS) which will bring back OFP:CWC, RH & Resistance on ArmA, so that it will be capable to use the advanced ArmA graphics. The mod name is "Cold War Rearmed" (you can find more info in the Biki), so even if you won't like ArmA, you still have the option to play OFP with better graphics. Imo ArmA is way better then OFP for these reasons:

1) Since 1.14 patch it has a very realistic recoil for all the weapons
2) The ballistic is really impressive, all the bullets now are affected by gravity, it's not like in OFP where you could shoot a tank sabot at 2000m and it went straight ahead, now you must use cannon optic to adjust  your aim
3) Soldier movements are more realistic than OFP, you can roll when you're prone, and do several other moves you couldn't do in OFP.
4) Better multiplayer, now you can join games after they've been created.

Instead these are the reasons why I wouldn't buy ArmA:

1) Way less vehicles than OFP (especially tanks).
2) The official campaign is not very long, and it is not very well done. The OFP campaign (I mean CWC:1985) is way better (but also Red Hammer, and Resistance are better than ArmA campaign).
3) Tanks are really weak, and to balance the multiplayer a T72 is almost as powerful as a M1A1 (no way since a T72 is a medium tank and a M1A1 is a heavy thank, according to Wikipedia during Gulf War a M1A1 could survive several frontal hits from the 125mm main cannon of a T72, while a M1A1 could easily penetrate the T72 armor with a single M256 sabot shell). The only difference is that a M1A1 shot kills instantly a T72, while a T72 hit completely disable a M1A1 but the crew has the time to get out and run away. It would have been better to have more tanks like in OFP with realistic armor values, that is T72 and T80 for soviets and M1A1 for USA (since M60 is not used any more, they could have put M1A1 and M1A2 but we will se this in ArmA2)

Offline urias03

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2008, 12:12:37 »
well I don't see the point in buying arma when arma 2 comes out..I'll buy 2
you said things that can be fixed by addon(like more tanks and more realistic things)
but what about the expansion?is it improtant to have?
like I said the maps looks much better in arma(not just graphics but town in ofp is 2-3 buildings and in Arma they look much better)
I think I'll get Arma,I always see pictures from Arma and thinks how is it and i'm still "stuck" with the old ofp

Offline Ext3rmin4tor

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2008, 16:25:05 »
It's a good game, buy it, then like I said you will have Cold War Rearmed available. The expansion, Queen's Gambit, is not so important, neither so good from what I've heard, they add a different version of Saharani (the island) and some units for the RACS (mercenaries and blackhawk choppers). The towns are larger than those in OFP, urban combats are finally possible.