Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How do I create a dedicated server for ArmA? (SOLVED)  (Read 1894 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
I've read the MP tutorial on howto, but I don't understand where or how to adjust the server.cfg

I start the server and get a window saying:

1:44:23 Dedicated host created.
1:44:24 BattlEye Server: Initialized
1:44:24 Host identity created.

How do I proceed from here?

Can anyone explain a more precise step by step?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 18:12:50 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
Re: How do I create a dedicated server for ArmA?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:49:14 »
That's it.
Server is running and the only interaction is within ArmA with the server.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2008, 01:54:19 »
But when I start ArmA again (as non server) and click MP it crashes.

How do I connect to my own dedi server?
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2008, 03:05:45 »
It crash's?
Not here :/ Any more details about that crash?

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2008, 11:00:59 »
OK,

I looked at Wiki's instructions on how to create a dedi server, to me there was information overload and I had no idea if the info was outdated or not. I don't understand if starting a dedi for the first time should be complicated (like learning .sqf) or simple (not much harder than hosting an MP).

Anyway, here is some info:

Soo far I have only installed what is installed by default when you autorun the ArmA DVD, I haven't installed any specific server stuff. I have the game and as it seems GameSpy. I also have QG and a few addons. I am also running Vista, if that is a known problem.

I don't understand where to write the server.cfg options (like: passwordAdmin = "" OR reportingIP = "<>"), all I have is a desktop shortcut (copied from arma_server in the ArmA original directory) with:

Target: "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config=server.cfg
Start in: "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA"

I have tried to start a dedicated server around 30 times now (with and without the DVD) and this is what happens in the appearing server window on my desktop:

10:37:19 Dedicated host created.
10:37:20 BattlEye Server: Initialized
10:37:20 Host identity created.

Fine.

Then I start ArmA as a player and click Multiplayer... Crash and message "ArmA has stopped working and is being shut down."

I do it the other way around, starting ArmA and section Multiplayer first, then AltTab to desktop and start the server shortcut. As soon as the Host Identity is created the server crashes and message "ArmA has stopped working and is being shut down." is displayed.

If I quickly AltTab back to the ArmA MP menu I can see a week and fading ghost image in the MP server menu of my just crashed server.

It seems that whatever is created first "survives" and whatever was created second crashes.

Sorry if I seem like an idiot, but unless there is some impossible Vista bug with dedicated servers I think I need some step by step info on this.

Cheers

Laggy

« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 11:03:53 by laggy »

Offline i0n0s

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2008, 15:15:01 »
I first started the arma.exe with those parameters:
Code: [Select]
-server -mod=dbe1;...-config works too, it is a relative path towards the arma.exe.
Then I launched ArmA as usual and I can found my dedicated Server.
Be aware that I don't have BattleEye installed!

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2008, 15:58:46 »
Finally......

Had to write this in target line:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -config=server.cfg -netlog -port=2350

Then it doesn't crash. I don't have a clue why this works better, but it does.

Cheers

Laggy
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 18:11:44 by laggy »