Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Making voices sound like theyre outside  (Read 1240 times)

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
Making voices sound like theyre outside
« on: 06 Oct 2007, 21:17:16 »
Hello,

Ive been recording voices for my mission but they all sound like they are inside and right next to the player. Well Thats because they are inside, and right next to the mic. But how do I make it sound like theyre coming from a distance?

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: Making voices sound like theyre outside
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2007, 21:28:51 »
I assume your voices are mono ogg.
Place a gamelogic at few meters to the left of the player named "sayer"

And, to test it execute:
Code: [Select]
sayer say "yoursoundresource"

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2007, 23:15:45 »
Yes I have that working but no matter how far awy i put the game logic, the sound still sounds like the player is saying it inside a room. Is this somthing that must be fixed with sound editing?

Offline myke13021

• Contributing Member
  • Myke
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2007, 00:47:09 »
Not directly sound editing but sound recording. As you are, while recording, inside a room (i just guess that) the room "informations" are also recorded. It means that, even if you go very close to the mic, there's always room reflections in the recorded file. Thats why professional voice recordings are done in a special room which doesn't reflect anything (Babelfish says: anechoic area). Whenever you hear delays, early reflections, echoes and other room effects, they probably come from a FX Generator (except it is life recording).

So if you want to record voices with almost no room informations, you can use materials which catches sounds like matresses, blankets, heavy curtains and so on. This should help you to get your voice recorded with a min of room informations. Also do not take the mic too close to your mouth as most mics have a so-called close-discussion-effect (blame babelfish if this translation is incorrect) which simply means: getting close to a mic does cause bass boost which also sounds unnatural. Get a distance of at least 25" to avoid this effect.

And last, lower your recording level and speak louder. Since in the open you almost always have surrounding noise (wind, leaves, insects and so on) you usually speak louder when in the open. This raise also causes a different sound of your voice. So lower your recording level an raise your voice.

Hope this helps you to get better results of your recordings.

Myke out

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2007, 20:28:02 »
thanks, i will try these tips