Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: helicopters and way points.  (Read 1910 times)

Offline pandorralost

• Members
helicopters and way points.
« on: 28 Mar 2007, 15:38:55 »
I am brand new to editing so please don't reply thinking I am thick (I may be, but please don't say it  :) ).

I am trying to get a helicopter to fly in along a city street with a squad on board (Player Character being in the squad not the heli) and allow them to disembark, then the copter flies off into the sunset (very hollywood I know).

I start with the squad on board (as cargo)and give them a sychronized (GET OFF) command to match the Heli (UNLOAD TRANSPORT) command at the WP I want them dropped off. I set the WPs to have a small radius, hoping that the heli will land within a metre or so of the WP.

I am encountering a problem in so far as the helicopter will not (UNLOAD TRANSPORT) anywhere near to the WP. It flies off and crashes into a building or tries to find somewhere else to land.

I just need help to sort out this one small but never the less frustrating problem.

All genuine, adult nd non abusive suggestions will be well appreciated.

Oh and can any one tell me where on the net I can get a full list of commands for editing Arma??????

Cheersy Muchly Mitch.

Offline drfz

• Members
Re: helicopters and way points.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2007, 09:02:35 »
you don't need to use "GETOFF" wp when you want unload cargo from vehicle. just create your "unload" or "unload transport" waypoint for the vehicle.

for command reference you can use the wiki

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2007, 10:36:28 »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline sharkattack

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2007, 19:40:56 »
also ...
maybe add a few invisible helipads  next to youre unload waypoint ...
"HOLY SARDINE" - see Shark-Attack meet his match

Offline SaBrE

• Members
  • I was once a Llama
    • www.Armed-Assault-Zone.com
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2007, 21:45:04 »
Hehe OFPEC definitely gets some grief from the Biki  :laugh:
Can you HELP?

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2007, 23:21:04 »
Attached is an example of how to let an heli land in Corazol.

A few things to make it work in your mission:
  • Make sure that a chopper can land
  • The approach of the chopper should be possible, make sure that the waypoint lines do not cross tall buildings just before the landing zone (LZ)
  • When the helicopter has unloaded all the troops, make sure that the waypoint to fly away isn't over any tall buildings close to the LZ
  • The invisible H makes things more failsafe

Good luck.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline bagelboy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2007, 23:43:42 »
Thanks for this Cheetah i will have a look at it. I thought i had sorted out the chopper anding problems but sometimes they work and other times they don't. Is it only me this happens to?

bb

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2007, 23:56:21 »
Yep, sometimes stuff works in ArmA, sometimes it doesn't. In my campaign(-in-progress) I had the same problem, in 10% of the cases a chopper was just hovering ~100 metres in the air instead of landing and letting units disembark. It shows that you should add a lot of extra stuff to make sure that they land.

Probably because sometimes your CPU is too busy doing stuff which results in the AI misbehaving.. or a tree moving left instead of right because of the wind - touching the chopper. Maybe the AI pilot wanted something else, don't know what's causing the inconsistent behaviour of choppers (and other units) at times. But hey, that's what makes ArmA interesting - dynamic stuff ;).

Offline dangermouse

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 06 Apr 2007, 20:13:42 »
hi guys ive just created a map which works perfectly when it run in editor and via my local host. The problem is when i upload it on the dedicated server. The map runs perfectly for the ai but as soon as a PC get into the chopper as squad leader the chopper does the hover at 100 meters and wont let anyone get out. Is there any extra stuff i can do to force them to land? Ive done the helipads etc was just wondering if there was a way i could force it via a script or anything else

EDIT: Removed the unnecessary quote of the whole of the previos post.. h-
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2007, 03:02:12 by h- »

Offline pandorralost

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2007, 20:27:57 »
thanx to one and all for the ideas and help.

I will give them a go and try my best.

Again thanx.

Offline 70gunner

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jun 2007, 13:27:04 »
Cheetah looked at your zip it is working almost everywhere. But now i'm looking to force the chooper too land so a squad can board him but there is no transport load waypoint command and the ones I tried he doesn't land. AI can land because with transport unload he does.

I tried with scripts, commands and he 's just hovering on the LZ zone to high.

He need to land on the ISLA del vassal.

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jun 2007, 13:32:40 »
For the chopper "LOAD" wp, for the group that wants to board, "GET IN" wp, and a sync line between both wps.

Offline 70gunner

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jun 2007, 14:13:38 »
THX chopper is finally landing and picking up  :good: on the way too next mission