Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: AI - Can't fly a jet or camel?  (Read 1439 times)

Offline satexas69

• Members
AI - Can't fly a jet or camel?
« on: 08 Mar 2007, 05:56:25 »
I can't get the AI to fly a jet or a camel from a no-starting-in-flight situation - any one else notice this?

If I put a pilot on the runway, next to anything non-helicopter (AV8, SU, Camel) - and say "GET IN" and give it a waypoint far down the runway (or anywhere really), the AI gets in the Jet/Camel, and never takes off, just doing circles around the airport confused.

What the heck?

If I put a chopper (AH1, MI, *anything*), it works fine.

What the heck?

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: AI - Can't fly a jet or camel?
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2007, 20:15:06 »
I think the getin WP was broke in the last patch. As a workaround I think you can moveindriver the pilot and then use the WP's to get the pilot to move. It works in a mission I'm working on.

hoz
Xbox Rocks

Offline Bolgard

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2007, 03:51:41 »
I have this problem too - on one airport, the main one, they can get off the ground - but they're utterly hopeless anywhere else - I'm not even dealing with static waypoints here - just commands.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMFG I just figured it out.  The stupid AI... the only airstrip they take off from in an orderly fashion from is the main one northwest of Paraiso.

No matter where you place a camel on the entire island, no matter how it's positioned, no matter what command you give him, the pilot will try and taxi the damn camel all the way to *that specific airfield* before attempting to take off. 

This is a really annoying glitch that needs to be addressed.

« Last Edit: 12 May 2007, 04:18:26 by Bolgard »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2007, 05:54:41 »
It's not a glitch, it has always been this way, even in OFP.

It's a design decision for fixed wing craft.

There is only one operational airfield/airport/runway per island, as far as the AI are concerned, this also was the case for OFP.

Of course, human players can takeoff and land at any suitable spot if they are capable of doing so.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Bolgard

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2007, 14:43:46 »
Wow - I didn't realize that... hrm, well that throws cold water on a project of mine. 

Offline Bolgard

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2007, 19:27:49 »
Yeah - I made a fun little MP vs. mission for myself and my friends which is a camel air combat mission - three airfields, 12 planes for each side, the winner is the last player that has some planes left.  I had set up four squads of 3 pilots each, and the idea was to be able to have a player command 2 AI pilots at one time to assist them.

The problem is the AI pilots can't take off, and just taxi toward the main airport even if it's 30 kilometers away.

Any thoughts on a possible work-around?

*********************************************************************************
edit
*********************************************************************************

Doh - didn't even realize that was a link to a script.  Thanks, I'll tinker with it :)  Though I'm not too familiar with scripting - is there a way to make this be a global script that will affect every AI plane that tries to take off when ordered to by a player?
« Last Edit: 13 May 2007, 19:43:21 by Bolgard »