Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Airstrike  (Read 11209 times)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re: Airstrike v4 (final, see last post)
« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2006, 14:52:56 »
Hi Tom and  :welcome:

Always edit your first post to reflect the latest version please. You will lose customers if they have to wade thru all the messages to find it (and, as you can see, it is no longer the 'last' post). Modify your first post please.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2006, 17:26:12 »
In regards to the latest min review thing... :)

- I don't know how to give the overview pic a border, or make it BIS quality lol...
- Does there really have to be a version number? I suppose I could put it in the breifing or something. But you'd just replace the old file in the missions folder anyway, so..

- I'll fix the player appearing thing, well try to, but remember: The intro is NOT a scripted one. I just used the in built thing to do it. Where do i put the command? In the condition line of the trigger?
- Will fix the music change. I tried to make it fade but for some reason it wasnt working  :confused:
- I originally had 3 other intros to start at the beginning of the mission. All 3 weren't very good and i just made this one instead. Its all i could come up with at the time, since the mission doesnt really need an intro IMO.

- Will change the intel section to be in the plan section.
- Will delete a vast number of the dots (that i forgot to do lol)

- Will change the hints.
- Will change the convoy hint to a radio message.
- Will fade the music as the player reaches the second waypoint.

I played the mission today and it took me probably a substantial 30 mins to finish (NOT game time, all the times including retrys and computer restarts  >:() . Just trying to shoot the other plane down took like 15 minutes! My hands were sweaty so my grip on the mouse was somewhat slippery. I got frustrated with my own mission LOL! So, i'm probably going to leave it as is, since its only meant to be a 'Quick Mission'. I'm currently in the process of putting another mission together, one that should take a hell of a lot longer than 10 mins... ;)

I will release the 5th and hopefully final version when i can.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mikero. I'm just so new to this beta testing stuff lol. :D
"In times of war, do not crave honour. Do not pray for order, amity or surrender. Ask only that you outlive the day."

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re: Airstrike (beta)
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2006, 17:40:08 »
Thanks for the heads-up, Mikero. I'm just so new to this beta testing stuff lol.

Hey, no problem. You're very welcome here.

As for version numbers, you are best off putting it on the overview.html that way, we all know what's going on when we scan thru our mission list.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2006, 18:36:36 »
- I don't know how to give the overview pic a border, or make it BIS quality lol...
Use paint to give it a white border.

- Does there really have to be a version number?
Mikero replied, I agree.

- I'll fix the player appearing thing, well try to, but remember: The intro is NOT a scripted one. I just used the in built thing to do it. Where do i put the command? In the condition line of the trigger?
Hey, no offense dude I liked the intro :). You can put it in the On Activation field of a trigger.

since the mission doesnt really need an intro IMO.
Then don't make an intro.

Didn't need any retries this time, maybe got lucky. But damn, I took that plane out fast 8)
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2006, 20:12:55 »
Here is version 5 of Airstrike. I have made all the changes that were aformentioned, but some I COULD NOT FIX. Such as the intel section on the plan section. I left the intel in the notes section (explained in readme) and the player appearing in the intro. I tried to add the Black in thing, but it didnt work  :confused:. But anyway, the main major changes have been made and I've added in a few little things too....

And i dare say, hopefully, fingers crossed, this will be the last version. I cant possibly make the mission any harder or longer without causing frustration. My next few missions shouldnt disappoint...
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2006, 07:42:29 by Tom »
"In times of war, do not crave honour. Do not pray for order, amity or surrender. Ask only that you outlive the day."

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2006, 03:34:53 »
Hey Tom (heh, feel like I'm talking to myself here), I decided to try your mission.  You should feel very honored.  I only have time to beta test one mission, and I chose yours :D

Anyway, here is my review.

Overview/Readme
Good

Intro:
For a non-scripted intro, this is pretty good.  You must have spent quite a lot of time getting it right.  The only complaint is that it took a loooooooooooong time for the Shilka to get destroyed.

Briefing:
Looks good, tells me everything I need to know.  One spelling mistake in the intel section of the notes, though.  Wether should be Whether.

Mission:
Ok, so I hop in the HMMVENSLFLDFJLKAS, or whatever the accronym is for the hummer, and head off to base.  Everything looks good, stuff is going on, the base seems reasonably alive.  I hop into my beloved A10 and taxi for departure.  At this point I get a hint that the convoy is leaving.  Oops, I must be playing in Cadet mode :-[  How embarrassing.  Anyway.  I advance the throttle and those marvelous engines come to life and begin to accelerate the aircraft down the runway.  Faster and faster unti......sorry.  I took off, headed south, and met the convoy.  After a few strafing runs with the cannon and putting a maverick up a Shilkas a**, I complete the objective and begin to head home.  As I near the base I get the radio message about the enemy plane.  One suggestion here, include the direction the plane is coming from, in this case, north.  About this time I get another hint that the convoy is almost at the destination.  Wait a minute...I killed them all.  Fix it so that if the convoy is dead there is no hint.  Moving on...we have a dogfight, and me being the superior pilot I naturally win (thank you, thank you, I'll sign autographs later).  I then make a flawless landing and taxi to the ramp.  Btw, I love the repair truck and ambulance coming up to the aircraft, it makes the base feel so...alive.  One bug with this, though.  The repair truck kept coming and bumping into the A10.

Mission complete (who would have doubted)

Debrief:
Good enough, it works for me.

My kills:
Su25
Shilka
Ural
Soldier
Pilot
3 Crew
UAZ

Outro:
None

Summary:
For being your first public beta this mission is quite nice, I congratulate you.  I liked the fact it was short...it allowed a college student like me to play OFP again, if only for a short moment.  You also covered most aspects of flying in this mission, and I didn't feel bored at any time during the mission.  The only thing I could suggest to make it slightly harder is to have 2 Su25s instead of 1.  Here are the things I thought needed work:
A10 takes forever to kill Shilka in intro
Spelling error: Wether - Whether
Include direction of Su25 in radio message
Remove hint of convoy approaching destination of convoy is dead
Stop the repair truck from bumping into my A10...damn driver must be from Michigan (for those of you who are not from the states, people from Michigan can't drive for sh*t)

That's about all.  You have a nice, short mission here.  I like it, it will stay on my HD.

-Pilot

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2006, 06:45:13 »
wowy, i was smiling through your whole review  :D. Thats cool man. Some nice input. I'll be right onto your suggestions ASAP and then v6 will be released. Thank you all!  :thumbsup:

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2006, 07:44:39 »
Well here it is. v6. All the changes that have been made are in the readme (this is the biggest readme ive ever made!). I also added a hind in addition to the Su 25 attack on the airstrip....

Edit: Attachment lost in the crash of Nov '09
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 01:39:12 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Jimboob

• Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2006, 16:21:19 »
Tom, can you please add the new version to the first post of this thread.

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
Re: Airstrike (beta v6)
« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2006, 16:49:12 »
All done  :thumbsup:.... so after someone has told me how v6 goes (and if there is nothing more to add), do i ask for a review?

Offline Jimboob

• Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2006, 16:52:47 »
If no bugs are found, then yes, i'll give it a test tonight after work. :thumbsup:

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2006, 16:56:29 »
Cool, thanks mate. I'm confident that the final version should be a tad bit harder and should be relateively free of any errors or bugs.  :)

Offline Jimboob

• Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2006, 17:02:39 »
I still dont see the mission in the top post. Upload the mission to RapidShare and then link it on the top post.

Offline Tom

• Members
  • BMPs are my nemesis
« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2006, 17:13:26 »
hmmm... I'll try both ways and see what heppens

http://rapidshare.de/files/33803460/Airstrike_v6.zip

Can you see them?
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2006, 18:32:22 by Tom »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2006, 17:59:14 »
Tom, Jimboob asked you to attach the file to the first post of this topic. And to add a download link (rapidshare dl link) to the first post.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!