Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Protected mission  (Read 3781 times)

Protected mission
« on: 22 Jun 2006, 13:32:32 »
Is there a way to make a protected .pbo file? I mean a mission file that cannot be decrypted (and copied or edited and then shared as own work)?
? (this == thinkable) : this = scriptable

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
Re: Protected mission
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2006, 13:43:15 »
No, I don't think so.  :-\
Not all is lost.

klavan

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2006, 13:55:07 »
Last KH&INQ's Abrams pbo is encrypted as far as i know.
You should get in contact with the creators to get the answer you need.
Klavan

EDIT
Topic on BIS forum
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2006, 13:58:49 by klavan »

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2006, 21:12:14 »
Thanks  :D

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2006, 22:05:31 »
Last KH&INQ's Abrams pbo is encrypted as far as i know.
You should get in contact with the creators to get the answer you need.
Klavan

EDIT
Topic on BIS forum

If this applies to mission files too and not just addons I'll be very surpriced.

Guido89, please post here the solution. I think many people in the community would like to hear about it if it's really possible.
Not all is lost.

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2006, 00:25:50 »
Of course (OFPEC by & for the community)  ;) I've just examined the addon file and it doesn't seem to be protected: the files are compressed only. Never mind... I just hope to find the solution.

Guido
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2006, 00:31:37 by Guido89 »

klavan

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2006, 12:50:16 »
Well I've made some attempts seconds ago and I'm not able to decompress the .pbo: PBODecryptor 1.5 gives me only an empty log file and MakePBO freezes and I have to close it.
I know there's  a way to decrypt it, but I personally don't know how.
Btw, why do you need to encrypt your mission? I'm against this, many good mission makers started their learning process about mission editing by scrouging into other users made missions and i can't remeber any case of mission-stealing.  ???
Klavan

vektorboson

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2006, 13:18:21 »
Well I've made some attempts seconds ago and I'm not able to decompress the .pbo: PBODecryptor 1.5 gives me only an empty log file and MakePBO freezes and I have to close it.
I know there's  a way to decrypt it, but I personally don't know how.
Btw, why do you need to encrypt your mission? I'm against this, many good mission makers started their learning process about mission editing by scrouging into other users made missions and i can't remeber any case of mission-stealing.  ???
Klavan

Those tools are quite old, and they are "poisoned"... You could download the DePBOdll from good old Mikero, which has a PBO extractor that deals with those "encrypted" PBOs.

I don't know why people over and over again ask about PBO "encryption" (btw. there is no PBO encryption, at least in OFP).
As already stated, many people learn from others by extracting their addons and missions; being able to change some scripts or whatever, may even deepen the understanding in how something works.

But if you really think that your work is the shiny-freaky-uber-mission that everyone wants to instantly steal and release as his own...

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2006, 13:36:51 »
I understood. Never mind... What am I worrying for? I think mine are normal missions. You're right Vektorboson.

Guido

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2006, 18:19:40 »
How to attract people to steal other's work?

Answer is easy: just protect your work  ;)

I totally agree with Vektorborson and Klavan  :)

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2006, 09:58:37 »
I understand... The bigger the taboo, the more the breakers. Yeah, you're right. It is something that deals with psychological faculties...

Guido

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2006, 16:29:39 »
There are several forms of 'protected' pbo

the first type is a misnomer in that *some* of the files within *might* be raPified. This was formerly known as encryption in the early days when people, naturally enough, mistook BI's binarised mission.sqms and config.cpp's as having some sort of encryption or protection. The ofp engine raPifies all sqm and cpp files before it uses them, so pbo content containing bin files, are simply that process, pre-empted. Plenty of tools available (mine or others) to raP and DeRap.

The second form is compression, or run length encoding, and in no way is intended to protect anything. In fact, it's use is frowned on by Bi as slowing the engine unecessarily. It is not present in elite, and wont be present in ArmA (safe bet). There are tricks and traps which *could* be utilised in the decoding of a compressed file, but to date (5 years !) I have not seen them intentionally employed except by accident by some very very poor early pbo tools. Plenty of good tools available, including mine, that resolve this 'undocumented feature', and it is highly unlikely anyone wishing to 'protect' their pbo will get away with it using this method.)

The 3rd form is a rather nasty trojan inserted by amalfi in his very popular (and very good) makepbo / unpbo tools. I can't recall offhand the name of the protected filename, not important, but, if someone attempts to decode a pbo with this filename present inside it,,,,,,, This 'method' is specifically employed by ags addons to name one. However, later tools (mine, and from memory, pbopatcher09, winpbo) all resolve this issue.

Another form of protection is to case sensitise the filename and or extension. Certain pbo tools, winpbo in particular, an excellent gui type, fall over with mixed case names, as does coc's binview (a separate issue, but same story)

The final form is particularly unpleasant and was enhanced by our Russian Komrades (OWC / OWP). The header of a pbo file contains reserved fields. Most, nearly all, pbo extractors expect these to be as nature intended, eg, aka bis. Any deviation, they fall over. So far as I know, my DePbo.dll is the only one that can cope with this wrinkle. Other tools may have followed on after I released the information. There *are* pbo's that have incorrect header info, caused by poor tools, but they aren't intentional. The Comrades elevated this to an art form.

If you really do want to go down the tunnel of protection, this form of protection is the only one currently that has a half-hope of succeeding. You'll have to visit the pmc forums (necromatix.com) to get further info. Download one of the troublesome addons and my tool, and you can 'see' how to do it. It involves a lot of stealth and jiggery pokery with pac/paa files and a few other things. But, if your determined.... (so am I, to break it)

While I can respect your wish to protect your intellectual property / your creative effort, the thing you learn real fast about this odd communtiy is it's share nature. We're all here, and have been here, for many years, pushing the envelope of what we can do with this fabulous engine. No one, so far, has benefited much by keeping stuff to themselves. In fact, if it weren't for the generous nature of the early pioneers, we wouldn't even have pbo tools, let alone scripts and all the other 'ways' of doing things. You should consider, that someone, somewhere, is going to learn something exceptionally valuable, just looking at how you did something. we all benefit.

Finally, if your interested, ArmA will undoubtedly contain protection in the form of what bis are touting as 'certified addon developers'. I have no inside knowledge as such, but it will be a safe bet this 'certification' will take the form of a unique key signature, identical to that employed in Elite.
Just say no to bugz

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2006, 16:59:08 »
The best protection against plagiarism is for the community not to tolerate it.   
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2006, 10:30:31 »
Another way to handle it:

plagiarism = a sincere compliment to your original work
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!