Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [CAMP] Mission Pack One V1.3  (Read 12065 times)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
(Review Completed) [CAMP] Mission Pack One V1.3
« on: 28 Nov 2005, 01:06:52 »

Student Pilot after he got his licence. Would you fly with this man?

Revised Version 1.3

Version 1.3 here

Edit: This campaign has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.

Well, you all have MacGuba to blame for this, he keeps finding 'undocumented features' in previous versions.

This is a Campaign comprising of some 30 odd missions. None of the missions have any relationship to each other except that they are grouped into campaign 'chapters' of Nogova, Malden, etc.

Some of the missions are good, some are indifferent, none, are bad or faulty.

It's the 'no faulty' bit I need tested before submitting to the Missions Depot. Many missions are not in English. The campaign is entirely addon free.

The intention is to provide an ease-of-use, seamless game flow from one mission to the next rather than continuously hiccuping back to the main Flashpoint front panel.

Please bare in mind, none of these missions will be fixed in any way, they either work, or they don't and will be removed from the pack if bad.

NONE use any addons.

In all instances I have modified the overview.html to give credit to the original author, where I could indeed find an original author.

Now, if we can just give Macguba a job to distract him, I might be able to release this version to MD before he ruins it.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2009, 01:50:58 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
Just say no to bugz

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
Re:Mikero's Mission Pack One
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2005, 03:35:13 »
*ahem*

Ok Mikero, where is the Readme?  Where are the advertisement pics?  Come on, you've been harping us authors to include these items in our missions. :hmm:

Sorry, I just had to do that.  You understand, right? ;D

Anyway, nice job.  I will take a look at this campaign as I find time.

-Pilot

EDIT:
*Falls off chair*
I've played the first mission before!  When I first started looking on the internet for downloads for OFP, this mission was one of the first I downloaded.  What a memory (albeit a short one :P)
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2005, 05:08:00 by Pilot »

Offline penguinman

• Contributing Member
  • Money is worthless, just paper, ink, and threads
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2005, 07:04:00 »
im gona try this with FFUR 2005 and high resolution replacement islands.

i should be able to report on atleast 5 tonight

Im lucky Europe's asleep right now so il be one of the first to play them.

edit:
damn, this is one of the slowest 10mb downloads Ive ever had. my cable modem is crawling through at 16kb a second.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2005, 07:09:51 by penguinman »

yankme

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2005, 08:37:56 »
what a good idea, you just saved me ( us lot ) some time trying to find missions that are playable vs download and quit then repeat , GOOD ON YA!!!
havent tryed any yet but there allways the ''edit butten''   ;)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2005, 08:51:49 »
you just saved me ( us lot ) some time trying to find missions that are playable vs download and quit then repeat , GOOD ON YA!!!

You're 100% on the money Yankme. This isn't a pack of 'the top 100' hit tunes, they are simply, tested, playable missions. The purpose of which is exactly as you describe.

@Pilot

I laughed along with you, and then realised you were actually very right, it's all to do with packaging, and I'll do something about it right now.

thanks.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Marvin

• Members
  • One day they will come
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2005, 14:35:47 »
Nice idea! Thanks mikero! I`m out for some days to play this campaign! Great work!

EDITED:

I hope there will be Mikero Mission pack 2  :P

EDITED:

Flashpoint crashed on mission 3, after intro when the blackhawk comes to desert island - i have message like this -

Cannot load world `worlds\abel.wrp

EDITED:
Sorry my bad  ;) somehow got lost abel.wrp file  ::) now it`s all ok!

Again great work mikero

« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2005, 15:47:29 by Marvin »
Is there any games than Flashpoint?

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2005, 07:25:36 »
currently downloading, looking to get a chance to play it tomorrow as i have to head for bed soon. but first, honestly man, find a better server! my high speed rarely crawls along at the 16kbps that penguinman mentioned, and I too am experiencing.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2005, 07:26:07 by Morglor9 »
Cymbaline

Conors

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2005, 12:41:31 »
I'm going to go one step better (ill try and try it with ffur 2005 llama sky high res replacment island and ddxl)
edit: dam its slow
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2005, 12:43:39 by Conors »

Serial Killer

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2005, 13:49:04 »
Wow! I can't believe one of my first missions are in this pack. :o

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2005, 15:29:31 »
A very nice idea, to make a some sort of a mission compilation, it was about time for something like this (now someone has finally bite into this apple Mikero, hasn't it?  :D).

Thou I don't quite get it, why you've placed it here, on the BT Board.  Are they on beta testing?  Will you change-modify them, if bugs or something else will be discovered?  Or you're just checking, if this is a good idea?

If the last is the case (and I beleive it is), then I beleive a more proper place for this would be on some other board, on Missions: Ideas for instance, where in form of a discution a much wider debate would be possible, and even suggestions, which missions also deserve, to be added to this compilation, can be collected.

And to answer on your 'question': yes, this 'experiment' of yours is a very valid one, I doubt you would bother yourself with it, if it wouldn't be.

On any other questions from your first poster I can-will not give you an answers, because some of them concerning my personal taste, which makes them irrelevant, and others are irrelevant by the very nature of the question.

I've played first three missions thru, then I've gone briefly thru the others.  As I've expected, I've already played them, except for some of those in Chech.  But I guess it will be nice, to have such compilation (or even a bigger-better one someday ;)) on my HD, and some day play it in FFUR.

Oh, and when you'll submmit it on MD, I suggest you, to arrange it like a mission pack, not like a campaign.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2005, 16:22:07 »
@Karantan

Thank you for that.

>Are they on beta testing?

Yes. Any found to be faulty in some way will be removed, not fixed. People other than myself need to test for that fact. That's why there in the testing forum. It's one job I can't do, just like an author cannot test his own mission.

>Missions: Ideas Forum for instance

valid comment Karantan, but, this is more than an 'idea' (it is that too) I need this pack TESTED. It is also true that the idea, not this pack specifically, could, and should, be in the forum you mention. If people want to raise that subject, I'll contribute to that discussion, elsewhere, as you rightly point out.

>which missions also deserve, to be added

none will be added to this compilation. Many, will be added to other compilations, and, I would expect with the help available on this board, they too will be tested before being released. If people want to discuss in a general way, which missions to add into a mission pack. Again, I have to agree with you, that's not for this board. Testing compilations is. As would be specific discussion of required addons when the time comes.

>As I've expected, I've already played (most of ) them,

which is fine. The issue is whether the ones selected for this pack are working. A dog may have slipped in.

>Will you change-modify them

absolutely not. I will remove them as a result of being tested and found faulty. I will however modify overviews depending on feedback from this forum on specific missions found wanting. I have checked them, just like an author checks his work, now, I really need them checked!

>I can-will not give you an answers

You seem to have missed the (lack of) packaging that Student Pilot picked up on. To make this a useful collection, along with all the other collections that could be made, the packaging should be as good as it can be. While I take your point that a discussion could indeed be held elsewhere, there's nothing that beats concrete examples. This mission pack is a concrete example, and I would expect some people to use it as such to suggest a readme, a jpeg, a few spoilers, or whatever I've not thought of. I dont want a discussion on relative merits I want folks to say Mikero, add this, and delete that.

> I suggest you, to arrange it like a mission pack, not like a campaign.

Which is exactly the sort of thing what I want to hear. But in this case it won't happen. It stays as a 'campaign'. It's just not fitting your idea of what a campaign should be, that's all.
Just say no to bugz

Conors

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2005, 19:36:09 »
If you want to do the mission in no picticular order               do the campaign cheat (- them type campaign)

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2005, 23:05:31 »
Student Pilot after he got his licence. Would you fly with this man?
Hahahahaha!

I suggest you, to arrange it like a mission pack, not like a campaign.
I actually like it the way it is.  It forces you to play each and every mission (unless you use a cheat, but that's besides the point).  This accomplishes the purpose Mikero made this pack for, to introduce us to missions we may not have played.  Packaging it as a missions pack defeats the purpose in my opinion.  Why not just download the missions seperately, then?

-Pilot

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2005, 23:18:59 »
i agree with Pilot. it'd be good to see more packs like this that force the player to open his eyes to new ideas. if possible, i wouldn't mind seeing mission packs with addons, like a BAS pack, a I44 pack, etc.

anyway, i've played the first one, its going great. a tad easy, but the pack itself is working well.
Cymbaline

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2005, 23:54:30 »
I don't want this to develop into some kind of a discution (Mikero has decided this is a 'campaign', and the campaign it is), so I'll try to be breif as possible, and my possible next reply here will be related only with any suggestions regarding this 'campaign' - by the way, Mikero; on a 13 mission I get a missing picture error message.

I think you're all missing a point here.   Why not arranging it like a campaign?  Because it ISN'T a campaign, it is a classical, fully blooded mission pack.  Heck, even it's author use a word 'campaign' only when he must (just look at the thread's title for the first).  Why?  Shortly, because it (the word) don't fit here, such an arrangement (into a campaign) even less.  And such an arrangement will not accomplish nothing, it will only looks 'unnatural'; if I don't want to play particular mission, I will not play it, the campaign structure cannot prevent me from that, etc.

@Pilot

Why not just download the missions seperately, you asking.  I'll answer with a counter question or two; well, which is the simpliest way to do it?  And why would then any bother to make music, literature and other compilations on such plain logic?