Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Forum Stars  (Read 10790 times)

marcus3

Re:Forum Stars
« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2005, 14:36:12 »
One of the most appealling things about Ofpec is the friendly atmosphere without arrogance.
Wise words my younge padawan...heh
anways my 2 cent. i think its a good idea, if someone see's that someone has more stars than them it will jst make them work harder, act better, be nicer etc, so this will help the fourms be a Nice place to be. there u go.
-------joke--------
:caugh: star :caugh:

-------joke---------
keep up the good work!  ;D ;)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #31 on: 11 Nov 2005, 14:36:22 »
Fair enough. I still don't like the system (and, as I said, want my stars removed please) but I've already said my thoughts.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2005, 15:58:21 »
Ok then; I'll go now to make a two line script of pissing soldier, and then submmit it to earn my star ...
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2005, 16:03:34 by karantan »

PsyWarrior

« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2005, 16:16:15 »
Whilst I always appreciated the 'equality' of the OFPEC forums, some members always ARE going to be more prominent and more well known. It was the case in the past (when I was an active member), and it's probably still the case now. The new star system is could well turn out to be a case of simply 'visually' recognising this.

This is just a cosmetic change, but the Admins should bear in mind that making the whole site bright Pink and Purple would also 'just' be a cosmetic change (And that would be a Very Bad Thing :P ). Cosmetic changes can be very powerful...

It is impossible to predict accurately what effect this will have. It's not based on post counts, but purely on merit, which is a good thing. However:

1. It's going to be something else that Moderators have to do, increasing their workload.
2. It could potentially lead to some kind of elitism (but honestly, only to the point where the answers of those with higher stars are more respected - Which was the case in the past anyway, to some extent).

I'm fairly neutral at the moment. We'll see what happens.

-PsyW
::EDIT:: - Sorry about the gibberish, if you read through it a few times it should start to make sense. Maybe ::)
I've corrected some of it.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2005, 16:18:28 by PsyWarrior »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2005, 17:16:25 »
I'll go now to make a two line script of pissing soldier, and then submmit it to earn my star
Please do. I don't think we have that in the scripts archives yet. Would be a very welcome addition in the cameras and cutscenes section.
Not all is lost.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #35 on: 11 Nov 2005, 17:52:49 »
Actually we do. Search for Nature's Call. ;D

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2005, 17:55:07 »
It wasn't be a spam or whaterver?

But I thouth ... great, then I'll also make a scrip of a soldier eating a grass, this will also be nice effect, you know, out of rations and stuff ... but only for my third star of course.

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #37 on: 11 Nov 2005, 17:55:48 »
 :)

Don't bother karantan, it has been made already:

Nature's Call

:D

Remember to smile while you "dehydrate".

#EDIT

But I thouth ... great, then I'll also make a scrip of a soldier eating a grass, this will also be nice effect, you know, out of rations and stuff ... but only for my third star of course.

You have great ideas man, keep them coming!

:)
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2005, 17:57:46 by Baddo »

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #38 on: 11 Nov 2005, 18:00:48 »
Only for my fouth star, man  ;D....

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #39 on: 11 Nov 2005, 22:03:51 »

Yeah, or maybe the soldier just likes the way that the Nogovan grass tastes. (Does that get me a star? No? Ok.  ;))
Cymbaline

Dubieman

« Reply #40 on: 12 Nov 2005, 02:45:35 »
Hey sup everyone,

Throwing some thoughts in...

-if I'm new and post, I'd be happy to have a large starred person answer cause they know what they are talking about.

-new people have a sort of "image" to shoot for

-bribery for more uselful editorial, addon, and mission material sounds like a good bribe to me. Good for the community to see more of that.

-I don't think elitism will be here in our OFPEC forums. Our moderators can easily jump in and our staff is all full of humble people who wouldn't turn into  idiots. So no worries eh?

-STOP the jabs, jokes, and funnies about getting a new star for something. It is getting really old and irritating...
  ::)

So yea, thats wassup, back to you CNN...

Dane

« Reply #41 on: 12 Nov 2005, 04:30:01 »
Wise words my younge padawan...heh
Thank you my master, "you know this to be true" :P ::) :-X

-new people have a sort of "image" to shoot for
Yes that's true but some people will never be cabable, and yes i speak for my self to.

-bribery for more uselful editorial, addon, and mission material sounds like a good bribe to me. Good for the community to see more of that.

Indeed, but same as above.

I suggest if you want to have a ranking system you judge it by people's will to help, and then give the Ofpec donaters an extra star.

Sorry if above doesn't make sence, but it's getting late and i am getting drunk.

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #42 on: 12 Nov 2005, 09:39:59 »
OFPEC shares all it's resources with all of it's users, whether they have five stars or no stars.

I'm hoping the no stars thing is simply a slip up in ur speach, Sui. As every new member starts with 1 star, I'm gonna hope you didn't mean you'd start taking them away, too.

Which kind of brings up a good point. Lets say you do some good stuff and have 3 stars. If you do something dumb, will they get taken away?
Cymbaline

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #43 on: 12 Nov 2005, 12:07:23 »
Which kind of brings up a good point. Lets say you do some good stuff and have 3 stars. If you do something dumb, will they get taken away?

It will probably only means, that you're dumb (that makes two of us ;)), nothing more.  But lately I'm more and more convinced, that everything here is possible, mate, everything ...

-STOP the jabs, jokes and funnies about getting a new star for something. it is getting really old and irritating...

It's easy for you to say, Guilty Roach, you already have all stars in your pocket!

Yes, this was a JAB, JOKE and FUNNIE.  I just can't help myself; you people constantly pulling me for my tongue ...

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #44 on: 12 Nov 2005, 22:19:23 »
good idea im not against it but im not with it mixed opinions i guess
now people just want the starts and will do all sorts to try and get them i suppose it helps ofpec in ways but will start to clutter up the editors depot again with scripts put together within a few minutes which havent had much testing
but the good thing with the stars is that ... erm ... i dunno you can tell who is staff and who isnt maybe  ???
i need help cant think of good reasons

its a cool idea though

the only wories is it may cuase spam and other stuff or people just going on about
"I want more stars so i posted a script and i aint got no more stars yet"
things like that

lets just wait and see
*kicks back with a nice cold beer and gets shouted at by mum for under age drinking*
 ;D