Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Forum Stars  (Read 10791 times)

Offline rado1265

• Members
Re:Forum Stars
« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2005, 19:29:20 »
The star system is different from post count because OFPEC staff considers who really deserves a star and who doesn't.
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Are we back in school, or what!?  This is the only valid response on this quote I can do right now, because my brains has freezed in shock, when I read this 'jewel'.

That doesn't mean that you are not a good community member if you don't get more stars.

Then what it means?  I must be really retarded, not understanding this new sistem of 'casts'.

An old Greek mathematician Archimed once apparently said: "Give the stick long enough, and I will move the world."  But man, there's no stick long enough (not argument valid enough) to shook this admin off, when it tooks its position (make a decision).

@dmakatra

I could never say this better myself.  You have my deepest respect.

And if I haven't earned my star now, then I never will ...
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2005, 19:30:39 by karantan »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2005, 19:46:55 »
Now now karantan, with one breath you condemn the idea and with the next you wonder where your star is.   ;D

As has been stated, the stars are awarded according to staff recommendations, and it takes time to work through 13,000 odd members to see which ones merit an extra star......be patient.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2005, 19:50:36 »
Now, now Planck, this is a bad joke.  If you're jokin' at all ...

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2005, 19:56:53 »
Aren't we making a mountain out of a mole-hill here?  All this talk about elitism and caste-systems sounds like we're setting up a goverment, not a web site ::)

I personally have no problem with this new idea.  If it will encourage more people to help out and submit more rescources, then I'm all for it.  Let's see how this works out before we start condemning it.

-Pilot

Ok admins, I supported you, now where's my third star? ;D

*slap*

Note: before any of you take that seriously, it was a joke...maybe a lame joke, but a joke, nevertheless.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2005, 19:57:20 »
All I can ask karantan is that you give it a chance to see how it works, don't condemn something out of hand like that, even if you don't agree with it.

Give it a chance.........sorry for the bad joke.

Planck

Offline Baddo

• Former Staff
  • Reservist Jaeger
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2005, 21:27:21 »
@karantan

Firstly,

The staff just hasn't seen enough of you and your good will yet.

secondly,

As has been stated, the stars are awarded according to staff recommendations, and it takes time to work through 13,000 odd members to see which ones merit an extra star......be patient.

...and finally the most important part of my previous post:

Having a positive and friendly attitude in the forums has definitely a huge effect in who deserves a star and who doesn't.

:)
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2005, 21:28:47 by Baddo »

Offline rado1265

• Members
« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2005, 22:14:29 »
@ Baddo

Firstly, I really and apsolutely can't and don't see any valid point in your poster above e.g. what do you wan't to tell-explain me; I see just some patronising blah blah from the admin member.

Secondly, I also can see, that you (the admin) just don't get it; you (the admin) constantly repeating yourself like broken gramophon, not seeing-accepting, that this time some other(s) can-may-could have more right than you (the admin) regarding this matter; you (the admin) just don't want e.g. are not able to admit, that this time you (the admin) are maybe maked a mistake with this decision.  And obviously you (the admin) are unable to see-understand, that I don't give a jack shit about those stars.  Please, read dmakatra's posts carefully, and you (the admin) might understand, where the problem(s) is-are lying.

And finally ... Bah, it's totally not worthed.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2005, 22:50:13 »
Ok,

Just drawing a large bold line here.

We know that dmakatra and karantan are not happy with the star system and it is duly noted in my notebook.   ;D

However more opinions are welcome.

Planck

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2005, 00:26:38 »
Armsty, I respect your opinion but don't really agree with you here mate...
It's not a bribe, as you get your star after you do the work. ;)
It's most definitely a reward... it's our (very small) way of showing our appreciation to the people who contribute to OFPEC.

Don't get me wrong... all members are still equal. There's no 'secret members area'. There's no forum that only patrons have access to. OFPEC shares all it's resources with all of it's users, whether they have five stars or no stars.

Anyway, I just thought it was time to give something back to the members that contribute. It is merely cosmetic, as I've pointed out it, it doesn't give you any special priviledges.

Karantan, simmer down. Right now.

Offline RujiK

• Members
  • KoKo Puh-Fizzles!
« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2005, 06:37:42 »
In spite of what most people are saying, Awesome idea! This is far superior to just a post count, as this actually reduces spam instead of encouraging it!
However you may want to bluntly say somewhere your stars don't go up with your posts.

I've seen too many sites that encourage spam by giving levels by only making extra posts.

This, in my opinion is one of the most mature forums I've ever seen. I can recall only one major incident and a few minor ones. So I think with the current mature audience we have, we can handle a few stars. If not, it can always go away.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2005, 06:43:09 by RujiK »
I like your approach, lets see your departure.
Download the New Flashlight Script!

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:05:36 »
I personally think its a great idea. Its gives us something to aim for, and if the way to get it is posting resources and helping people out on the forums, hopefully thats what people will do.
There would be no using the stars against new guys as that person would have to be someone who wouldn't do that the earn the star in the first place (If you understand what i'm bantering on about).  ;)

EDIT: Just realsied I have an extra star  ;D
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2005, 09:06:29 by greg147 »
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline Igor Drukov

• Contributing Member
  • Conscientious Subjector
« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2005, 12:32:31 »
I don't like that reform too much either, here is why.

I cherished the idea of having no difference between old-timers and new-comers. It enhanced the "by the community, for the community" spirit, as there was no hierarchy at all between the members.

Now this star-ranking system makes me greedy (I'm only speaking for myself, here  :beat:). I fear behind every contribution I'll make in the future, there'll loom the interested question : "will that get me another star ?". Jealousy might also ooze in : "hey, why does that guy have more stars than I have ? It's unfair !". As you can see, I'm a real bostord. ;D

This is no big deal, as this site still is an all-time favourite, and its present evolution is really unlikely to change that : moderators are great, people always helpful, etc. Besides, scanning those 13,000 + members must have been quite a chore.  :)

I guess you can never please everyone  ::). Keep up the excellent work then !

klavan

« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2005, 13:10:13 »
I think this idea and the intention wich led to it are good. To gain stars you've to submit quality resources or stuffs and this would improve OFPEC contents .
Dealing with eventual spammers is a fake problem (or at least a very minor one): this system doesn't encourage spamming, simply because spamming is useless.
Moreover who join OFPEC usually cames with good and nobile intentions: to learn how to handle a beast called OFP (not how to play it, it's different). I think we must take this in mind while making our considerations about this new ranking system: this is not the BIS Forum (just to make an example ;)  ), and generally OFPEC members are more mature than the ones you can find elsewhere.
Jealously, vainglory or elitism never existed (afaik) here: i saw noobs answering questions or resolving problems posted by some of the oldest members, but i never saw an oldest member shitting a noob for his unexperience.
By the communty for the community is not only a motto, it's the OFPEC spirit and i dont really think it could be killed by a couple of stars.
In the end I was proud to be part (even if a very little one) of all this before the coming of this news and I will continue to be so, stars or not stars.
I sincerely hope i explained my point of view in clear way.
Klavan    
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2005, 13:13:31 by klavan »

Dane

« Reply #28 on: 11 Nov 2005, 14:01:14 »
Well i don't mind this new ranking system! I am gratefull to the Ofpec members that helped me with mission editing and scripting issues, and would gladly see some extra stars in their avatars! My only worrie with this system is that some members or future members would become more arrogant, i hate that! Just because some one is a better mission editor or scripter that i am, surely there are things i can do better or just as good.
So because you earned an extra star (One more star than i ever will) don't let it rise to your heads ladyes and gentleman.
One of the most appealling things about Ofpec is the friendly atmosphere without arrogance.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2005, 14:34:11 »
My only worrie with this system is that some members or future members would become more arrogant
Arrogance = less stars  ;D  ;)
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08