Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Toolbox Addon  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Terox

• Former Staff
  • Follow the Sappers!
    • zeus-community.net
Toolbox Addon
« on: 08 Oct 2005, 12:15:54 »
The addon would comprise of

Toolbox weapon

Selection of ammo
Wire cutters
Safety Pin (for claymores, booby traps etc)
Mine probe
Feeler rod (for tripwires)
"Universal Tool"

Ammo would take up pistol slots perhaps
Could be limitless ammo, eg using a fired event replenishes the ammo

It could run an anim, probably like the cti workers anim or omething more apt

There would be no addon internal scripting for what the tool ammo actually does,

How it could be implemented:
The addon would come in two downloadable versions
1) A Full .pbo, for mission maker use
2) A fully open source un-pbo'd version, including the models themselves
with a EULA agreement that meant a mod had full editing rights to the addon, provided that all credit is given where it is due

By A Mission Maker
1) The mission maker would attach a fired event handler to any units that could use the toolbox and create his own custom script

By A Mod
Using fired event handlers or user action perhaps and the fully editable addon version

The reason for my idea
I recently made a mission which required units to sneak into a base having cut a section of wire fence. I did it using an addaction, but would have preferred a more realistic approach using a tool or toolbox weapon which if the carrying unit died could then be picked up by another unit

This is just an idea, i dont have any modelling or texturing skills but would be happy to work alongside someone to do the config or any scripting that is required

« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2005, 12:22:27 by Terox »
Zeus ARMA2 server IP = 77.74.193.124 :2302
Teamspeak IP = 77.74.193.123

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
Re:Toolbox Addon
« Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2005, 13:34:20 »
You might also take a look at how the FDF did their Axe, Baton, and Handcuff addons. They all had only 1 round for "ammo" but replentished after each use.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Roni

• Members
  • Play the Game !
Re:Toolbox Addon
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2005, 04:01:44 »
I'm no expert addon maker but I have created one or two stupid weapons for my own amusement (a 9999 shot autofiring LAW anyone ?).

I noticed in my travels that an addon can be configured to either include scripts for player use (addActions) or to run a script whenever it is fired.  For your proposed weapon all you'd need to do is create a weapon with multiple "barrels".  You then give each barrel a new ammo type with unlimited ammo (cf Binocular, NV Goggles), then have it run a particular script each time that the weapon was "fired".

The problem is trying to get access to the underlying object characteristics so that you can manipulate them.  I don't know how they work but I've seen in the configs references to textures, materials etc, which apparently can't be referenced in any way by the scripting language (ie via .sqf's or .sqs's).  Someone much more skillful then me might be able to help you here - I understand that the config files are all written in some for of C, perhaps the idea is to include a C sub-routine inside the pbo.

Alternatively, you could simply have the addon script just set some sort of public variable that your mission specific script could pick up and use.

Example - Toolbox weapon barrel 3 = "Hammer".  On use it runs animation "UseHammer" on the firer (included inside pbo), waits a few seconds, then sets publicVarable "hammerTime" to 1.  Anyone who wanted to use that could have a script running that picked up that varaiable and checked for the nearest building, then dealt a specified amount of damage to one or more particular types of objects (say, buildings, but not trees).

Good luck !

Roni