Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Choppers grounded with rotors turning  (Read 1314 times)

2nd Ranger

Choppers grounded with rotors turning
« on: 11 Aug 2005, 15:57:49 »
Hello,

I would like to use a helo insertion for a mission I am making, but I want the chopper to be on the ground, stationary, with the rotors turning while the players board.

I have been able to make this happen, but the problem comes when I order AI to board the helo. When I do this, the chopper wants to dust off for a few feet then land again to let the team board, then it continues on its waypoints. The same thing happens with an AI leader.

This isn't exactly pivotal to the mission, but I'd still like to make it work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dane

Re:Choppers grounded with rotors turning
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2005, 16:30:51 »
here's my way of dealing with it, simple but it works.

holdPosDir.sqs
[choppername] exec "holdPosDir.sqs"

holdPosDir.sqs:

Code: [Select]
_chop = _this select 0
_pos = position _chop
_dir = direction _chop

#loop
_chop setPos _pos
_chop setDir _dir
?(GlobalVariable): exit
~0.01
goto "loop"

Edit. The setDir command is because when choppers is forced to hold pos while engines running they sometimes spins slowly around themselves.
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2005, 16:37:17 by DaneDK »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2005, 09:15:50 »
or you could simply use the action command wich is
chopper1 action ["Engine on"]
obdviosly if your chopper isnt called chopper1 change it to its name and it should stay on the ground and keep its rotors spining

but if you have waypoints it would be easier to sycronise a waypoijnt wich is placed on top of the chopper with this in the onactivation field of the waypoint
this flyinheight 0
and then when it should go to its next waypoint put this in the trigger
chopper name flyinheight 50

its a bit simpler and wont look as jumpy nor will it be as laggy as DaneDK's idea but either way will work

Dane

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2005, 16:08:52 »
With a delay of 0.01 it won't look jumpy but will maybe cause problem's on lower end pc's, agree.

The reason why i use this script is because when helicopters are assigned wp's they sometimes behave weird even wit lockwp's and the like's, like 456820's example my choppers would often take off to 50 meter's then land again to pick up the loons assigned as cargo.

Guess thatÂ's just those flashpoint gremlins again!

Edit. Lol just remembered, would unitname stop true work?
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2005, 16:24:11 by DaneDK »

2nd Ranger

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2005, 19:17:20 »
or you could simply use the action command wich is
chopper1 action ["Engine on"]
obdviosly if your chopper isnt called chopper1 change it to its name and it should stay on the ground and keep its rotors spining

but if you have waypoints it would be easier to sycronise a waypoijnt wich is placed on top of the chopper with this in the onactivation field of the waypoint
this flyinheight 0
and then when it should go to its next waypoint put this in the trigger
chopper name flyinheight 50

I tried this method, but as I said the problem comes when an order is given to board the chopper and it takes off and lands again. When this happens, the chopper ignores all flyinheight and disableAI commands.

Thanks to both of your for your ideas, I will try the script and the stop true thing.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2005, 19:18:43 by 2nd Ranger »