Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Dustbowl  (Read 11051 times)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Dustbowl
« Reply #15 on: 07 May 2005, 19:14:13 »
It seems to work fine from here......you do need to choose FREE download and then wait your turn though.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2005, 19:18:26 »
okay i clicked free and no where does it say anything about waiting or a download but it does say it has been downloaded 9 times already

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2005, 19:19:46 »
It also says how long you have to wait.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2005, 19:20:08 »
456820: Mission can be found at:

http://dmakatra.mine.nu/yabb/filer/files/dustbowl.zip

Changed the name of the zip.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: 07 May 2005, 19:37:21 »
yes thanks so much its downloading

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #20 on: 07 May 2005, 19:54:18 »
Right-o.

MISSION (continued)
I was pinned down on that rooftop and it all ended with at least 50 bodies and me running out of ammo. Bugger. Found me an AK and started to kick arse on the streets instead.
Found a guy clipped between the street and a building. One shot. Leader is dead. Huzzah! ;D
All hail dead teammates. Found a M249. Sang a little in joy. These guys are so fucked now. Well, if they are stupid enough to let me get a M249 it's their fault. :D
Found the pilot. Ordered the pilot to take weapon. Pilot ran straight into baddies arms. Pilot's dead. Damn. :P
Called in the Humvee's. I like that you responded with hints since it's a coop mission. I hate when scripted sidechats fiddle with my spam. :P
Humvee's arrived. I packed everyone inside one Humvee. Now, the getaway wasn't very exciting. The BIS Humvee's can take a massive amount of punches. I'd use the motorcycles that come with BAS Delta/Rangers 'cause there's nothing more fun then getting away with those. Wrooom, wrooom, bullets whistling above your head. Me and my squad have had some crazy getaways with 'em 'cycles in the Tonal jungles. ;D
SUMMARY:
It wasn't all that fun in SP but I'd imagine it will rock any MP game. I really love the groupchain stuff 'cause being pinned down on that rooftop was fun as hell for my trigger happy finger. ;D
All in all a very nice coop mission with no serious bugs. In fact, I love to see this mission in it's true shape in MP so much I'll put up a server. When can everybody play?

EDIT: Oh, and benchmark 7000-something, Veteran mode, 1.96, no special mods (e.g. ECP, FDF) running. Score:

http://dmakatra.mine.nu/yabb/filer/files/dustbowl.gif
« Last Edit: 07 May 2005, 19:58:26 by dmakatra »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: 07 May 2005, 20:05:53 »
okay the now the review.

Overview
okay apart from no pic that i could see and the addon detalis should go on a new page

Briefung
Cool i didnt know it was oing to be a bit like black hawk down you have the downed chopper and the humvees for extraction.
Anyway i think its a bit spaced out you have about 3 or 4 lines for each new paragrap make it 2 or something smaller.

Mission
at the atart you can see the player for a small glimpse fixed by running the script theough the players init field

Well we start of i land order my men to return to formation then out of no where i started to see te town all, stealth. a few enemy's are spotted then shot then 8, is down, 7 is down, 5 is down.

And yet i coulnt do a damn thing cause of that sand couldnt see a thing (nice touchby the way) then i spot the machine gunners on the roof (great job here i cant see them at my range but they can still kill us)

I climb up the ladder and kill the 2 machine gunners then a hint their leader is dead. That got to be a good thing

Then i hear some guy walking around i went prone and had a look around then from no where an enemy soldier walks throught the sand bang hes dead but he still managed t wound me.

I can now see the pilot in my sights but now i cant walk i get close to the pilot now he joins me i tel hm to pick up a weapon.
Then i think to my self surely theres got to be more to this mission its wa to easy so far.

Then i spot a tower i look in the top no one in it (put an enemy sniper or some one in it its right near where the pilot is)

I call in the humvees and i start to crawl to the extraction point looking for a medi tent or something to heal at Damn i told him to rearm in the middle of the open but before i can do anything i shoot him trying to shoot some enemy who is less than a foot next to him

Anyway im going to restart this tommorow. Also how do you do that sand thing that would be perfect for a mission i doing at the moment but i dont want it as thick

So far i thought it was a little wasy but im guessing some thins going to happen

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2005, 20:07:22 »
OK, I'm going to put up a server tomorrow Sunday the 8th.

20.00 GMT + 1!

81.231.85.253:2302

Be there, or I kill a kitten. ;D

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #23 on: 08 May 2005, 01:07:07 »
Thanks for the kind words.

I've begun work on a single player-specific version to answer some of the main problems, briefing has been updated and it will be made tougher but with at least one save. Hopefully this won't take too long. Just done the weapons loadout,   :P copy and pasting was never so much fun.

It's nice to see some people getting away with HMMWV's. I find it damn fun if it works! ;D

Going to be away the next couple of days so I'll keep you posted.
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #24 on: 08 May 2005, 03:32:33 »
Yeah, there are some vast differences between how MP missions and SP missions should be edited in flashpoint.

I recommend having two versions, as this is one of the few missions I've come across that could be VERY good in both arenas.

@sui
Lag remains, i checked again. Our benchmarks are similar but I only have 500 meg ram, is this the issue?

Quite possibly mate. I've got a gig running dual channel, synchronus with my front side bus... (English: My RAM's bigger than yours ;D ).

However I've also tweaked my OFP config file fairly heavily, so it may be something to do with that. Also, benchmark tends to be subjective at best. If you run the config program a few times you'll come away with a lot of different benchmarks. Not sure what it measures exactly...

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #25 on: 08 May 2005, 11:33:14 »
I had no lag over here. In fact, it all flowed redicolously well considiring the amount of units, addons and scripts in use. :o

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2005, 13:14:42 »
Single player update on page 1.

Laters
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2005, 18:59:50 »
Server up. :)

EDIT: T'was fun... ::)
« Last Edit: 08 May 2005, 19:51:35 by dmakatra »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2005, 23:58:05 »
Immediate dissapointment. I will not be playing this version again and will revert to the 1st.

The intro is improved, was good to begin with, and is now even better.

dissapointments

1) I did not land on mountain, instead North of town. This immediately took away the difficulty of 'walking' down mountain

2) The sandstorm was considerably reduced making it a relative walk in the park. This destroyed 90% of the atmosphere surrounding mission.

3) The flares were no longer existent, they should have been color other than white.

4) There was no counter attack after pilot (calling hmmv's eg)

5) there were no, nada, zilch enemy on the devastatingly BORING drive back to base camp. Nothing, nada.

The introduction of the chopper objective was fine, necessary, and a nice touch.

The squad ai was considerably improved. They actually shot at things.

The 2 x snipers in tower remain useless.

The lag remains about same as before, despite what appears to be a HUGE, a GIGANTIC removal of enemy.

The pilot is stupider than any of the recruits driving the hmmv's, I got so fed up with him I shot him myself, deliberately, to get the game moving.

The enemy nasties are not.  Some, but very few, show any inclination to do anything more than look for contact lenses.

This mission, this version, has been reduced from a ball tearer 9 to just another reasonably good mission with a rating of 5 or 6 at best.

Just say no to bugz

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #29 on: 09 May 2005, 00:05:13 »
@dmakatra

I'm not ignoring you btw, I can't play online, period. My ping times exceed 1second to anywhere.
Just say no to bugz